Shinjuku Buskers/ Panda with a Pianica OM-D E-M5, Lens Turbo, Nikkor Ai-S 85 2, ImpulZ LUT

utsira

The buskers around Shinjuku station, Tokyo, shot on an E-M5. On the wide shots the codec craps out completely, but the medium shots with some subject separation it looks OK. Terrific fun to shoot with. I might trade it in for an E-M1 regardless of what happens with rumoured firmware, just for the extra mbps.

I finally worked out how to set the IS focal length correctly when using a focal reducer.

I still can't get film grain to look any good after it's gone through the vimeo upload process though. This was a large prores proxy file, and in most of the shots it looks like mud.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Which grain are you using? Finer grain seems to come out better on Vimeo: http://rungunshoot.com/optimizing-film-grain-for-web-output/

I also lower the contrast a little (I use Gorrila Grain).

Very nice video. The EM5 really does seem pretty good.

I really like that Chris Zabriske track too. I actually nearly used it for my macro video! It seemed too "dark" though I think. He's one of the best free-RFM composers around IMO.

What a nice surprise, I used to hang on these streets  a lot, not far from where I used to stay the Keio plaza hotel, as musician I always appreciated  the busker's music.

So I thank you to remind me those nice moments I had when I was in Tokio, you really captured what happens on those streets.

And by the way, I love and miss Tokio!!!

All the best, and thanks again!!!!!

Which grain are you using? Finer grain seems to come out better on Vimeo: http://rungunshoot.com/optimizing-film-grain-for-web-output/

I also lower the contrast a little (I use Gorrila Grain).

Very nice video. The EM5 really does seem pretty good.

I really like that Chris Zabriske track too. I actually nearly used it for my macro video! It seemed too "dark" though I think. He's one of the best free-RFM composers around IMO.

It's the fine 1080p grain that comes with the ImpulZ LUTs, overlaid at 30%. I've tried uploading H.264, Prores proxy etc. I think there's maybe too much else going on in these shots for vimeo compression to also render the grain well. I was feeling lazy, and the OM-D is quite clean (tho I suspect that's because the NR:off setting is ignored in video mode maybe?) so I didn't bother denoising with neat video. I think if you have very clean shots, locked off on a tripod, then maybe the grain survives.

With the music, I was initially thinking of something a lot more upbeat, to match the tempo of the performances, perhaps something electro, Hot Chip-esque, then going to town with the edit. Couldn't find anything I liked licence-free. (do vimeo really block your video if the soundtrack is commercially available?) So slow edits in contrast to the performances was the easier option. But yes, Zabriskie is great.

What a nice surprise, I used to hang on these streets  a lot, not far from where I used to stay the Keio plaza hotel, as musician I always appreciated  the busker's music.

So I thank you to remind me those nice moments I had when I was in Tokio, you really captured what happens on those streets.

And by the way, I love and miss Tokio!!!

All the best, and thanks again!!!!!

Glad you liked it! Fascinating area with a long history of street performances (and cop trouble). And that long highway stretching down to the Wald 9 building guarantees you nice bokeh!