Sony FS7 versus the Canon C300 (and their own cameras too?)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony FS7 body only

The Sony F55, F5 and FS700 now have a fierce competitor for less money, and it's not a Canon, nor is it a Red or a Panasonic. It's one of their own, the Sony FS7. Yet this cannibalisation may be worth it because the potential market for the FS7 is enormous. It's the fiercest arrow yet fired at Canon's most popular interchangeable lens video camera for pros, the Cinema EOS C300.

With a design clearly C300 inspired and the new mount facilitating the use of Canon lenses, is the Sony FS7 going to cause a mass migration of pro video birds south to Sony dealers?

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

as an fs700r owner, fuck me, right?

:(

Well there's a more positive way to look at it... FS700 has been out a few years now and you presumably got some nice shots which wouldn't have been possible had you not invested in one. Then if you sell it on eBay I am sure you will get a nice chunk of your original investment thrown right back at you by eager punters. I'd do it now if you plan to go FS7 though as the price is gonna go south pretty quickly judging by what my FS100 is now worth (around £1k!!)

Well there's a more positive way to look at it... FS700 has been out a few years now and you presumably got some nice shots which wouldn't have been possible had you not invested in one. Then if you sell it on eBay I am sure you will get a nice chunk of your original investment thrown right back at you by eager punters. I'd do it now if you plan to go FS7 though as the price is gonna go south pretty quickly judging by what my FS100 is now worth (around £1k!!)

What a game changer this is. I'm glad you said you supported the growth of BM, I hope they keep pushing forward

Hm, maybe it wouldn't make too much sense, but why can't you select higher bit rates in 24p than 240Mbps? Could be an overkill but it never hurts to have more headroom, and the camera could easily handle it since there is a 60p/600Mbps mode already.

I agree, it's kinda odd. Maybe they will do that in a firmware update. 

Is the fs700 still viable? I think so. It's an $7700 camera new. Used $57/6100 plus odyssey 7q $4500. License and media included. That's around $10 grand for 240fps 2/4k RAW, 4k ProRes (soon), 120fps 4k (Burst) with a great monitor. With the f7s you need that interface for RAW and that's $2500 on top of an $8000 camera plus $4500 for 7q. It's $3500/$4000 more than the fs700. It's worth it for better internal codecs, better build etc etc etc but doesn't make the fs700 obsolete by any means. It's still a 4k RAW HFR decent lowlight slog 2 camera. It's gotta be worth something.

Sounds like a terrific camera!  Any idea of the weight, with and without the servo lens?  Any ideas what batteries it takes?  SxS or some other cards? 

And the most important: rolling shutter?  (I got really burned with the rolling mess of the A7s...)  Or (hope hope) global shutter of some sort?

Enquiring minds, and all that!

Oh, and I read somewhere that it is launching with UHD, full 4K with firmware update in 2015.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

as an fs700r owner, fuck me, right?

:(

No not at all really. Look at it this way. The FS7 is an FS700 with a better internal codec and a shoulder design. That's it. And normally it costs a bit more.

This is just a higher end model with a couple more features. Otherwise, the FS700 can do everything this camera can do if you do not need the shoulder design or internal codec. And on the top of it the FS700 gains the internal 240p. They both have the exact same sensor/image, they both output 4K raw at 60p, 2K raw at 240p, it's the same camera really with just the internal 4K 10 bit codec and shoulder design. The FS700 is still a very powerful option in the Sony line-up that can do everything one would need for years to come. 

FS700r's hold their value relatively well. you can hawk that off for a nice piece of coin. if you were making money with it, surely you've made back your investment, so it doesn't matter. if you haven't made back your investment, and you aren't using it to make money, they why get it in the first place? so if you made back your investment, then sell it off. cause after your investment is made back its pure profit to sell it. then throw it all towards one of these if you want. 

Sounds like a terrific camera!  Any idea of the weight, with and without the servo lens?  Any ideas what batteries it takes?  SxS or some other cards? 

And the most important: rolling shutter?  (I got really burned with the rolling mess of the A7s...)  Or (hope hope) global shutter of some sort?

Enquiring minds, and all that!

Oh, and I read somewhere that it is launching with UHD, full 4K with firmware update in 2015.

i think the article answers the battery and memory cards questions. also the slide show someone posted above has more

Big news indeed. Cion and Ursa, please sit down. Sony gets the EVF/monitor thing right. Finally someone has. Red with the touchscreen / Bomb EVF combo is awkward and top heavy; Cion kills me with their 3rd party EVF (all the 3rd party EVF's universally suck); Ursa with a living room monitor also forgets we need light tight EVF's first and foremost; and of course Canon completely went brain dead in the monitoring department and seems to act as if they did nothing wrong. 

I'm so glad, Sony answered the ergonomic issues and has taken a broadside at the 3rd party Frankenrig market. Stripped down, it'll be floating on more than a few gimbals and octocoptors. My only complaint and this is minor is the omission of a two pin lemo or D tap out in it's non AB/Vmount form. It would have been nice for powering all the wireless doo dads that are popping up these days now within in reach of non rental house market. One day we'll laugh at how trussed up Movi's have become with Lipo batts hanging all over the place like Christmas decorations. All it takes is a forward camera maker to realize powering wireless is going to be a standard feature down the road.

• 11 months later...