Recording in 25p versus 50p

Amro Othman

Ok so let's say I don't want any slow mo or smooth shots and just want my final piece to be in 25p. I could record in 50p all the time and convert it down to 25p whenever I want. However on the NEX-5n the bitrate for 25p is 24mbps and the 50p is 28mpbs.

So does that mean I will get better quality by recording in 25p, versus 50p? Will the bitrate be effectively halved when I convert to 25p?

Also, I should try to keep shutter speed at twice the frame-rate, amirite?

Thanks in advance...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
The image is slightly more compressed in 50p mode, but it is helpful for slow motion and you can indeed convert it easily to 25p and it'll give the same look - provided the shutter is not higher than 1/100, you will still get a natural motion blur on the 1080/50p footage.

For fast action or handheld work you will get more of a break-up of the image in 50p mode though, because of the stress on the codec and the relatively low bitrate per-frame.