Nikon D750 features "flippy screen" technology (and we're supposed to be excited about that?)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Seems to me like it is aimed at a notch just below the average user of this site.

A good stills FF camera with (likely) competent video for mainstream users.

I think it is meant to soothe some of those waiting (and waiting and waiting) for a D400 for stills.

Some odd things about it though, 1/4000 and 1/200 flash sync for a start.      Up against the normal A7 it is 1.5 fps faster for stills with better AF tracking of a DSLR but while behind in some areas of useability.     

I would think video might be similar to that from the A7, maybe a touch better (maybe not) but with a bit less video features and ease of use.

There seems to be a lot of Nikon users who are underwhelmed too though but I would think if they called it a D620 it would be looked on a lot more favourably-  at least as a stills camera that shoots excellent video for (the level below the EOSHD market).

Nikon D750 is definitely not for Andrew Raid.  :)

Most other users who is going to buy it - will be happy with everything, including video. Anyway, sales of DSLR are somehow  down not because of video. Everybody already has good  DSLR - that's the "problem". 

I too shoot Nikon for stills. I also liked the D800 for video. I know - but it had GREAT DR. 

I was really hoping that they had a vision for where they were going with their DSLRS for video use, but no. 

I cannot believe that there is a spreadsheet somewhere that says this is a market-making camera, or that there is a severely underserved niche in their product lineup that this covers that is a fountain of profit.

This is a lost year for Canon and Nikon in the hybrid area. With the downforce of cameras like the FS7 (they're only going to get cheaper) and the upforce of better and better phone cameras they may get squeezed out of the video area entirely. And I'm not sure there's going to be a strong pro stills-only market left either. I've already sold 4K video frames as stills to clients. Happy clients. 

As the kids say, smh. 

Well said.. It's fascinating to watch Nikon just refuse to do anything really but incrementally update their lines. There seems to be no grand vision or appetite for risk taking. Well I guess the 1 system is a risk, but not aimed at me, or seemingly anyone (moms who need 60fps photos?). I was a Nikon user a few years ago and got (back) into video through my D90, and stuck by them for a while, until it became clear they were just not going to innovate. Then I moved on to Panasonic and mostly Sony gear, both companies luring me over with bold redesigns and aggressive feature sets. 

The one thing I would slightly disagree with is the viewfinder being categorically inferior on DSLRs. Electronic viewfinders are making rapid strides and are right for many people, and certainly anyone doing video. And undoubtedly the day will come when we'll be looking at 20k pixel viewfinders where the eye can literally not resolve anymore detail. But Nikon seems just completely committed to the photographer's experience above all else, and mirrorbox optical viewfinders still have an advantage in terms of clarity. You're literally looking at the world directly when you look through an OVF. By choosing the EVF you are foregoing that directness advantage for the usefulness you mentioned: critical focus, information displays, exposure preview (though I've noticed it's not exactly WYSIWYG). But for straight photographers, the optical viewfinder is still hard to beat. I guess Fuji has the ultimate all in one with its hybrid technology, though you're still not looking through the lens with the OVF there. 

But ultimately your point stands. I'm immensely happy with my A7s, and rarely feel like I'm getting an inadequate experience looking through that viewfinder, and the filmmaking advantage is just phenomenal. Now if there were just more lenses (can't wait to hear your thoughts on the cine lens they just announced). 

But for straight photographers, the optical viewfinder is still hard to beat.

I personally shoot 90% video, so an EVF works better for me, but some of my "only stills" colleagues would tell you nothing beats a telemetric viewfinder. They just love the fact that you actually are seeing the subject in the moment you shoot the picture (no more blinking closed eyes in group protraits) and the fact that the extra room in the viewfinder lets you know when an object is going to enter the frame (to shoot a bird flying across the frame for example). But I guess Leica geeks will be amongst the last ones to adopt an EVF.

For stills it lacks the ergonomic fluidity and flow of the Fuji X-T1

Nope. Not even close - if you want the absolute fastest and fluid UI a modern control scheme has that, and the D750's is pretty good.

This is a camera that stills-wise is going to cream the 5DIII in so many ways. There are a few areas it is lacking but given the relative price points I know which one I'd rather go for.

I think you should not look not only about your needs but the needs of other photographers to critisize the DSLR form factor Andrew. You do mostly street photography and the small light form factor is really suited to that like the leica's. But if you look at the main criticism from Nikon users on forums is that it does not follow the D700 lineage (It is more like a D600+) of a full  pro body, which means a ........... bigger body. If ever tomorrow you shoot a long event or a 12 hour wedding then you will understand why photographers want those bigger body, even adding a battery grip making it even heavier. Try holding those small for factor cameras for hours and you will see why. I also not prepared to let go of the 100% OVF for something like an EVF until the latter surpasses it, which is not the case until now for my pro photography. 

The second thing is about the good enough philosophy about video. If you think that this quality is not good enought for 99% of work

. Then I would like to see tens or hundred of videos done on panasonic/sony and even blackmagic camera that are miles ahead of this video. The D810 has been measured at more than 800 lines, which would compare favourably to cameras like Canon C300/gh2 etc. Which are known to produce very good imagery in Cinema screen size projection. Since the D5200 Nikon has been producing cameras that are Moire/aliasing free. They must have been sampling much more pixel and binning them and they have even done the feat of doing it with the 36 megapixel D810 
. You can also add the 12 stop of DR and low light that are very close to the 5dmark 3 in low end $ 700 D5200/5300 in low light.

When you add all those thing you are getting with no added cost to a typical photography dslr, I don't see why I should fork more money as a hybrid user and buy some other video camera. You can also add a $ 300 atomos recorder to get high quality propres bitrate out of it. I am not saying that I would not like more video functionality or for example a 10 bit codec but I think 4k and some of those thing will come in the next iteration of the D800 and D4 in 1.5 years. Since then, I think that we are getting a lot of video quality which we would have dreamt for only 2 years ago for free.

If you think that this quality is not good enought for 99% of work. Then I would like to see tens or hundred of videos done on panasonic/sony and even blackmagic camera that are miles ahead of this video. 

It doesn't work like that, you can't cherry pick one video and ask to compare it against the average output of other camera's. Otherwise GoPro would have Arri by the short and curlies right now, what with the hero 3 black being used in features and edited into Arri footage.

Nope. I'll be keeping my D800. I see no major reason to replace that one with a D750/D810 with the current price differences vs features.

What I'd like to see from Nikon would be a bold mirrorless APS-C hybrid video + photo camera. Something in between Sony A6000 and Panasonic GH4 in price level. 4k, 1080p - and most of all - a good solid compressed codec similar to Sony's XAVC-S SLOG2 that grades alright considered the fairly low bitrate.

Or, maybe similar kind of photo/video hybrid built out of Nikon 1 system (which I find more likely than Nikon making a new mirrorless mount).

I recently shot nature stills with D800 and my NEX-5R, both at ISO100. Considering both cameras use Sony sensors, what shocked me when I was postprocessing in Lightroom, having shot the same landscapes in same light - was how much better the colors could be processed out of the D800 than the NEX-5R. Whatever I did while tweaking in Lightroom, I could just not get as good colors out of the NEX files. I really wish Nikon would find a way to get those lovely colors into a video aimed camera with a great codec...

Then I would like to see tens or hundred of videos done on panasonic/sony and even blackmagic camera that are miles ahead of this video. The D810 has been measured at more than 800 lines, which would compare favourably to cameras like Canon C300/gh2 etc. Which are known to produce very good imagery in Cinema screen size projection. Since the D5200 Nikon has been producing cameras that are Moire/aliasing free. They must have been sampling much more pixel and binning them and they have even done the feat of doing it with the 36 megapixel D810  

That video was interesting. Surely seems like they've managed to suppress most of the aliasing & moiré out of D810!

• Administrators

That video was interesting. Surely seems like they've managed to suppress most of the aliasing & moiré out of D810!

You have to be put this in perspective dude.

The 5D Mark III cured moire and aliasing like the D810 but nearly 3 years ago. The A7S also is very clean. You can now buy an A7S with a Nikon lens adapter and shoot with all the advantages that has, including S-LOG2, a 4K HDMI output and the best low light performance on the market, past ISO 3200 the A7S is far cleaner than a Red Epic, $30,000 Sony cinema camera or even an Arri Alexa.

So Nikon finally catching up on one tiny aspect of the image does not make the camera special or worth having over competing models, in my view.

You have to be put this in perspective dude.

I agree.

Nonetheless - For someone into stills, who wants a 36 Mpixel camera as well, D810 seemed to handle aliasing/moiré better than what I've seen from A7R and D800/D800E at least. Not really any other options with that combination.

But yes, Nikon has work to do if they want to catch up with the video features of GH4 and A7S. I doubt they will catch up with GH4 / A7S quality in less than 2 years... Before that, I expect (hope?) there will be an updated A5xx/A6xx model with S-LOG2 which would be more interesting for me as a portable & very affordable camera.

For serious photography the 14bit color space that the the DSLR*s provide is much more desirable than the limited 12 bit of Sony's RAW's (correct me if wrong and the sony has 14bit)

Some times it feels like these japanese camera companies coordiante their releases since not one of them provides everything. I allso find my self thinking If only GH4 shot 14Bit RAW images it would be well suited for Pro photograpy

What I'd like to see from Nikon would be a bold mirrorless APS-C hybrid video + photo camera.

You know, you reminded me of when the first rumours of the Df surfaced and it was going to be a mirrorless retro-styled camera with the D4's 16MP sensor. I got really excited. Then it turned out to be a DSLR and there went my interest...

For serious photography the 14bit color space that the the DSLR*s provide is much more desirable than the limited 12 bit of Sony's RAW's (correct me if wrong and the sony has 14bit)

Some times it feels like these japanese camera companies coordiante their releases since not one of them provides everything. I allso find my self thinking If only GH4 shot 14Bit RAW images it would be well suited for Pro photograpy

Even 12 bit raw is substantial. The Sony's use some lossy compression scheme so it's more like 10 or 11 bit instead. I still think it's usable and definitely far better than the 8 bit baked video files that just about all hybrid cameras spit out.