This is the Sony FS7

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony FS7

Sony's next E-mount Super 35mm camera shoots 4K XAVC and has a 180fps slow mo mode, with an ergonomic design much improved and closer to the Canon C300, with top handle, top mounted LCD and built in ND filter. It really looks like Sony are going after the C300 market with this and it's arguably going to be a much more capable tool. I'm impressed!!

The camera will be announced today (Friday) at IBC in Amsterdam.

Picture from Philip BloomRead the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Looks absoluely  lovely in terms of design. Just still puzzled by what will it be differentiated from the F5/FS700 with. I am betting on raw and 240p. Yet if it has these, the f5 will HAVE to get a major update as well.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Lord the FS7 final design and features are even way more than I had expected. This truly is the first camera that is better than the C300 in terms of ergonomics, and image quality too if we can assume it will have the F5's image (which it will). This is one of the best camera designs I've seen in years with specs that extend 5-7 years ahead. And it's half the C300/F5 price. What have they done!

It seems Sony just made me 8000$ poorer in 2015.

The PDF brochure shows it's a very complete package... Now we only need to know if the image quality is as good as expected. It's not the A7s sensor, so it will be nice to see how it performs in terms of dynamic range, noise and lowlight ability.

Sony say that with s-log3 they manage to squeeze an additional 1.5 stops compared to s-log2, so even if it is the FS700 sensor it could be around 13.5 stops as long as you use S-log3 with its minimum 2000 ISO...

Tests, tests, tests...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

This will likely have identical image quality to both the FS700 and F5 and in 4K. It's also rated at 2000 ISO. That internal 10 bit XAVC at 4K in S-log 3 really is a fantastic feature and almost renders raw and external recorders unnecessary (though the option is even is still included, outputs 12 bit raw!). It's a very powerful codec in such tiny file sizes, perfect for an ergonomic documentary camera. It's just a winning combination resulting from very good market analysis. They'll sell tens of thousands of these.

EDIT: "look, Sony has provided a firmware update to the F5 which will enable 4K recording internal" Well that was fast! 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Does that battery/raw output adapter come with the camera? If so, and it's under 10K that's flat out amazing.

The camera body only (ready to shoot 4K XAVC with small battery, EVF, shoulder pad, grip) is 8000$. The Raw interface is a separate component if you want to output a raw signal and/or record ProRes HQ (at 1080p only), it's priced around 2000$. So yes the camera + raw output capability are 10K, but you still need a 4K raw recorder of course to take the signal, either Sony's own R5, or CD 7Q. The 28-135mm F/4 fullframe servo ENG lens is priced at around 2500-3000$ (beautiful lens for doc/broadcast).  

• Administrators

It looks to be an absolutely fantastic camera.

I wonder with the growing popularity of slow-mo work in all areas of production catered for currently very well by the C300, that the FS7's more advanced technology might be enough to force the C300 into the background.

Depends on those ergonomics I think...

But clearly they learn from the C300. Looks like a camera you can use without a rig.

This will be huge. Everything I bitch about in the C300 is addressed here. I like that it can be used without in/out adaptor and keep it somewhat small. This will be vital for gimbal work. Best is that it will be rigless. No more stupid Frankencameras. C300's will be all over Craig's List in the coming months. 

It'll be all over the doc world. Time to start saving.

Nice job Sony! The FS7 has so many features we all want and the price is really good especially when you consider 10 bit 4:2:2 internal 4K recording. That alone is impressive. Add on the savings in not needing an EVF or rig saves you at least $1500. I'm simply blown away. I need cash now! Haha....