Apple Unveils M2 Pro & M2 Max Chips in Updated MacBook Pro & Mac mini

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm going to wait six months or so to see real-world reviews and experiences from users before making a decision.

My computer for video editing is a 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan model) with 32 gigs of RAM and dual GPUs. It handles all my needs in Resolve, but it can't be updated beyond Monterey so once Apple stops supporting that version I'll either need to finally make the leap to Apple Silicon or cut off this computer completely from the internet and keep using it until it dies.

I could also entertain the idea of switching to Windows or Linux, which I've done before, but encountered so many issues and time-sinks that I think sticking with Mac is the most efficient solution for me.

I also have an old 2014 i5 Mini with 8 gigs of ram that I use for non-video tasks and it's still running strong; I like the Mini form factor so would likely replace both computers with one M2 Mini Pro unless I decide to wait a couple of years for M3.

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

The M1 Macs will be an even better value once they start slashing the prices on them. 

You can already get a good deal by buying refurbished, which is what always do; both of my current Macs are refurbished and have been running for 9 and 10 years respectively with zero problems; I've had refurbished iPods, iPads, and several refurbished Macs, all of which were excellent. The only challenge is finding one that meets your desired specs, but if you're patient one will eventually come up.

I've bought high-end PC tablets (new condition... open box*) for 1/3 the price, even lower... go figure! I did it once 1/6... With just a couple of years from the release. Seems crazy but plain true :- )

* Looks like people are used to pay a high price for a fancy box! : D Insane times! : P

PS: That 1/6 fraction of the price for refurbished condition. From my experience, I don't recommend it for this type of tech though (tablets and alike -- anything subject to pop up overheat issues later on). Only for new condition units anyway. Open box... ;- )

The Apple refurbished units, sold by Apple from the Apple Store, have the same warranty as new ones and in many cases are actually new (returned unopened). The only reason to buy a new computer or iPad from Apple is if you can't find what you're looking for (model or specs) in the online Apple refurbished store.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Those comparisons especially show how the new ProRes optimization helps with M2, but to me they suggest it's worth waiting to see if there will be M2 Studio models at some point, for those of us who don't need/want laptops. The Mini Pro is probably more than enough computer for my purposes but an M2 or M3 Studio might be worth waiting for.

Really waiting for Intel to bring Arc over to laptops, the A750 slaughters everything in video and photo work thanks to its amazing media accelerator, even A380/DG1 ran circles around the M1 except in Final Cut Pro, and whole lot cheaper