Canon 7D Mark II

Ben Prater

And they really shouldn't call it "Dual Pixel AF" with the "AF" in there, because it's not the "auto" part of the technology I am interested in but rather the Servo part of it.  It's the fact that you can drive focus precisely to where you need it to go without physically touching the lens then LOCK the focus.

Can you do that with the Canon? I thought you still need to engage the AF to drive the lens that way.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This from RedShark News: http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/2038-canon-7d-mark-ii-debuts,-but-what-does-it-mean

"The reality

Canon's 5D Mark II kicked off the HDSLR revolution, but it wasn't planned. In fact, it could be seen as a mistake, as the advanced (at the time) video capabilities of its DSLRs made those cameras popular amoung shooters, which likely ate into its pro video profits. With this latest version of the 7D, Canon refocused on the action photographer, all but ignoring the video advancements of competitors with similarly-priced cameras. When you take a step back from it, it makes sense; Canon sells far more equipment to photographers than video shooters, and why should its DSLRs compete directly against other Canon product categories like pro video? The big take-away may be that Canon is quietly removing itself from the DSLR video revolution that it accidentally started."

I don't tend to get into this whole Canon and Nikon are Video Grandpa's when it comes to video, but the above makes sense. Can't some of us just accept Canon's business decisions and move custom elsewhere? At this rate, it sounds like some people would actually go into apocalyptic meltdown if the Canon 5D MK IV didn't have 4k video and that Canon have "lost the plot." 

Can you do that with the Canon? I thought you still need to engage the AF to drive the lens that way.

I haven't used the 7D Mark II yet, but on the 70D there are THREE ways to do this.  Assuming you have [SERVO AF] activated, you can hold the [AF-ON] button to lock focus.

Another way to do this is to deactivate [SERVO AF] by simply touching the part of the touch screen which has [SERVO AF] as a touch menu button.  The [SERVO AF] touch screen button is ALWAYS overlaid on the screen so you have access to it 24/7.

The second way is actually a hack of sorts, but it works really well especially on steady cam.  It is quick, silent and doesn't add unwanted motion to your rig.  Therefore by deactivating [SERVO AF] you have effectively locked focus!

This is why I was hoping for a touch screen on the 7D Mark II because it acts as a quick silent button.

The THIRD WAY is to leave [SERVO AF] off and simply press the [AF-ON] button to drive focus.  It will drive focus to where the focus box is located.

In reality, Canon are just one big Japanese electronics giant that make office and industry appliances like printers, scanners and stuff, and they happen to have a camera division, too. 

If you don't like their offerings, there are other brands to choose from. 

I thank God for that!