Canon 7D Mark II

Ben Prater

Wolf33 was complaining about the weight issues with his 5d in Rome and I rescued a recent experience with a similar sized camera where I went the old prime lens way instead of the heavy expensive zoom way.
And even for 4k Id rather take some casual shots with my note than using some m43 zoom lens and leaving the fullframe at home.
Anyway this might change soon as I have found a way to use 70% of an 6x7 lens image circle on an m43 sensor, thats like a 2.5x speed booster.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, the cat's out of the bag and it's far from impressive unless you are mainly a stills guy.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/official-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii?cm_mmc=EML-_-NewAnnouncement-Canon7D2-_-140915-_-Body_Explora_Canon-7D-MarkII_Video#video

Except for the presence of both mic and headphone jacks, slightly higher ISOs and what seems to be a slightly shaper image, not much improvement. Video modes are like the 5DMK3 with the addition of 1080 60p

• Administrators

Nothing angers me more than to see so much innovation go unnoticed by the masses who continue to buy unoriginal big-brand greyness for more money.

Anyone paying $1800 for this camera and shooting video when they could be using a GH4 is simply nutty.

Nothing angers me more than to see so much innovation go unnoticed by the masses who continue to buy unoriginal big-brand greyness for more money.

Anyone paying $1800 for this camera and shooting video when they could be using a GH4 is simply nutty.

I can see people buying this for the Super duper dual pixel autofocus, while using some gigantic expensive fullframe zoom on an aps-c body.

While on my trip last week I saw at least 5 70Ds,many smaller canon eos XXX. a few small old nikons (d3000,d5000,etc...), tons of bridge cameras ,a few 5D mkiii (young japanese metrosexuals), and a few m43s olympus and fuji used by old fellas. No wonder why Canon doesn't see a reason to do better.

I used to see it like this, but now I'm on the other side. I'm really happy that most people still buy the big-brand stuff and think it is the best. It's much better for me and my business when they do. People always ask me 'wow how did you get that sharp footage / nice slow-mo?'

And my clients see the difference too. They don't care which camera I use, they just like how the footage looks.

I have stopped sharing my techniques, lenses, etc. I have done it before and given the community back what I've learned but now I'm protecting my 'look'. If everyone knew how to shoot like I do, then what is my advantage?

I say lets all promote the glorious Canon 7D Mk2!! All video enthusiasts should buy it! Great camera!

I understand the frustration, but that's how things have been for a century or so, and it certainly not limited to the camera industry. Good quality and technical prowess don't matter. They always lose to marketing and logistic might. 

• Administrators

I understand the frustration, but that's how things have been for a century or so, and it certainly not limited to the camera industry. Good quality and technical prowess don't matter. They always lose to marketing and logistic might. 

I simply don't agree!!

• Administrators

First, I don't care about the promotional video or what stills people are saying on a spanish forum, because it isn't relevant to this discussion AT ALL!

Second, this is a filmmaking gear site and a filmmaking / video forum, AF in video mode is not at the level where it is useful yet.

Third, manual focus is more under the control of the filmmaker. You can't trust AF to do what you want it to do. Read up on Philip Bloom's review of the C100's AF.

I simply don't agree!!

What exactly are you not agreeing? Not criticising, just curious.

Just think of the most popular car on the planet these days. No doubt it's some Toyonissan Whateverolla, dominating the sales statistics for the past few decades, but surely it's not the technically most innovative, highest quality, etc. car on the planet. 

Or try explaining how Windows could dominate the mainstream market in the 90's and early 2000's. Surely you cannot possibly claim that MS Windows was and is the best computing platform ever in every possible way, and that's why it dominated the mainstream market. At least if you've ever seen any other platform.

And so on, and on and on.

Product X is tecnically better than product C/N, no argument there, but it simply doesn't matter. The masses keep on buying the "market leader," anyway.

This is just awful. I just watched the official video sample from Canon and it sucks, I see nothing new! Fine the 7D was not for video but it was used for that A LOT and now the new one doesn't even have the swivel LCD? It's like going back 5 years, nothing changed. Nothing.

Unless Canon has something else for Photokina they're officially dead to me.

First, I don't care about the promotional video or what stills people are saying on a spanish forum, because it isn't relevant to this discussion AT ALL!

Second, this is a filmmaking gear site and a filmmaking / video forum, AF in video mode is not at the level where it is useful yet.

Third, manual focus is more under the control of the filmmaker. You can't trust AF to do what you want it to do. Read up on Philip Bloom's review of the C100's AF.

For documentary work, AF can be useful to eliminate focus hunting.  The dual pixel AF has actually opened up a new world of opportunity to tell a story so differently than what we are currently used to.

Bringing in a larger crew just for focus pulling can alter a real life moment, but keep it minimalist to a one man band and you have a completely different way of telling a story.

And they really shouldn't call it "Dual Pixel AF" with the "AF" in there, because it's not the "auto" part of the technology I am interested in but rather the Servo part of it.  It's the fact that you can drive focus precisely to where you need it to go without physically touching the lens then LOCK the focus.

From a storytelling perspective this offers a more polished way to tell a story while staying minimalist - an extra tool for me to use.  Of course if I want the footage to feel a bit more organic then yes I would do 100% manual focus to get the focus hunting look in there.

I can't wait to test out this feature on the 7D Mark II to see how it performs.