Canon 7D Mark II

Ben Prater

The rumor mill is in full roar ahead of PhotoKina.

Canon-7D-Mark-II.jpg

Here is the unofficial spec list:

• Rugged magnesium alloy body
  • Dust proof
  • 20.2 MP CMOS sensor
  • Dual-pixel CMOS AF
  • New 65-point AF, all points cross-type
  • ITR EOS AF
  • Continuous shooting: 10 frames per second
  • Dual DIGIC6
  • Max ISO: 16,000.
  • RGB+IR new 150,000-pixel metering sensor
  • Video full HD 60 p
  • Built-in GPS
  • Interval timer
  • Bulb timer

(From PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2014/09/11/canon-7d-mark-ii-leaked-picture-and-specs/#ixzz3D34JM018)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only people that shoot sports photography and maybe some wildlife enthusiasts? Although I bet Moritz will be all over this too. :P

But other than that. Looks like the 70D's sensor wanted to put itself into the 7D's body.

Nothing revolutionary there from Canon... who would've thought... :mellow:

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

We know nothing about its video functionality. Nothing.
Things that will make it a loss or a great video camera:

-What exactly is the sensor, new or 70D's?
-How does it downscale the sensor to 1080p? will it be line-skipping with the same moire and aliasing as the 70D or will it be doing an elegant pixel-bin for 5D3 type moire/aliasing?
-How's the codec? Bit rate?
-Does the dual digic 6 processor actually improve video as Canon claims? Canon claims it gives similar noise at ISO 1600 to a camera with digic 5 at ISO 400. Two full stops improvment?!
-Does it have a headphone jack? Decent preamps? Can we control audio whilst recording with a touchpad like the 5D3?
-Does it have clean HDMI out with mirroring?
-Does the 60p reduce quality vs. 30p?

We know nothing about the video on this camera. It's still very early to tell anything. I have high hopes for this as the upgrade for Canon video users.

>> There goes Canon's biggest launch of the year...

Agreed. The 7D2 could have really been Canon's defining moment in this new era of 4k. 5 years to develop the spiritual successor and all they did was pull out the playbook for the t2i/t3i/t4i/t5i game. Was Canon designing an upgraded still's camera? Seems like it.

And with Sony's new FS7 -- even Canon's Cinema line of cameras is starting to look a little rusty. 

It's been a good run Canon -- but it seems like you just stopped caring. Have fun stills shooters -- us video guys are headed to greener pasture.

And so the thread sinks :)

There goes Canon's biggest launch of the year...

...and the damn thing hasn't even been launched yet! 

Oh the cruelty of the geeky rumour mill.  ;)

Seriously though, did/do the Canon geeks really expect the 7D Mk2 to come with 4K? 

>> Seriously though, did/do the Canon geeks really expect the 7D Mk2 to come with 4K? 

When the 7D first came out, it was glorious to hold in the hands. Beautiful APS-C images in 1080p. If you couldn't afford a 5D2, the 7D was damn close. 

So 5 years later, what did the stork bring us? Well, with the rumored specs on the 7D2, it is headed to the party with a cheap bottle of wine. I didn't expect 4k on the 7D2, but I thought something cool like 120fps/1080p -- or digital ND -- or an XLR breakout -- or in-camera LUTs -- or even stellar 2k video images like the BMCC. 

If companies like Canon can't wrap a thought around the exhaustively fast nature of technology now, they will quickly become the Microsoft and IBM of camera systems. 

• Administrators

If Canon want to please video users they need to at least catch up with the competition.

Problem is every time I look at the specs of the competition, and apply it to Canon, it seems ridiculously like I am asking too much.

100Mbit/s H.264

10bit HDMI output

120fps slow-mo mode

400fps with line-skipping like the Nikon V1

Full frame sensor and APS-C model

No moire / aliasing

Full pixel readout

Canon LOG

Mirrorless mount

EVF

5 axis stablisation

$2500

Because that's only what the competition are offering isn't it?

Ideally Canon should be better than the competition. I'm just asking them to be 'as good'.

It just shows how far behind they are on video now.

If the 1D C was $2500 but in a 5D Mark III-like body and with some concessions to video usability they would be on the right path.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You (we) are video people therefore looking at this (and D750) from a different perspective. 10 frames per seconds, in a small 1D-type ruggedness, with the fastest/best autofocus system (65 point), huge buffer, 100% accurate optical viewfinder, for 1800$,

Canon is already ahead of competition. These are 1D mk IIII specs in a tiny 1800$ body. Nothing else is like it.

Look at the market for the 7D, the guys standing in the soccer games corners, and the news photographers for TV channels and newspapers around the entire world from the USA to Africa, do you think these people are going to switch to mirrorless camera like the A7s with 1.5 frames per second at 12mp, or going to switch to a plastic micro-four-thirds body with an electronic viewfinder? I promise you not.

So in the current state, the 7D mk II is already way ahead of the competetion in the main market it's designed for. State of the art DSLR action camera.

For video, yes these two mirrorless cameras are ahead, with the 4K internal and evf. But in the DSLR world, there's nothing like that. The only thing the 7D mk II needs to offer to exceed the competeting DSLRs video (Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, etc), is remove aliasing and moire and offer 60p. In that state, what other company is offering 10 fps, 65-point AF, 100% OVF, magnesium alloy body, and good clean 1080p video without artefacts and 60p for less than 2000$? Nobody. They are already ahead of the competetion when it comes to a complete package.

The A7s and GH4 may be better for you as a dedicated videographer, but they don't compete at all with the 7D build quality, staggering speed, fast AF, 100% Optical viewfinder, APS-C sensor, adequate 20mp resolution, full compatability with EF lenses, it's just a very different beast.

The A7s and GH4 do things better, and the 7D does other things better,

We know nothing about its video functionality. Nothing.
Things that will make it a loss or a great video camera:

-What exactly is the sensor, new or 70D's?

Based on the rumours it's very likely to be the 70D's.

Which leads to another (rhetoric) question, this being a video-centric forum, why are we discussing, and even agonising over a mostly stills-oriented dSLR which in practical terms doesn't even exist yet?

Just wondering out loud.

Because lots on here started with the 5DII?

Because that's only what the competition are offering isn't it?

But no one camera offers all of that. I suppose if someone does do it, it'll be one hell of a camera. Add continuous AF tracking and it'll be the perfect hybrid.

If Canon want to please video users they need to at least catch up with the competition.

As long as their brand recognition in the mainstream has as much inertia as it still does, and as long as their mainstream product line is still selling and dominating the supply chain, they don't need to please the (niche of) video users. DSLR's are first and foremost made for photography, anyway. They do also have a video camera line, the C series, along with a long line of camcorders. 

Ideally Canon should be better than the competition. 

"Ideally" you are projecting.

'Better' is a subjective term. So is the idea of what Canon should or should not be. "Ideally" you can of course project any sort of ideals and wishes onto any given brand, as they are not restricted by reality. Actual reality is another matter, though.

In reality, Canon are just one big Japanese electronics giant that make office and industry appliances like printers, scanners and stuff, and they happen to have a camera division, too. 

But they are just one of several camera makers. They have no patent for superiority, nor exclusivity for "better," whatever that means to each of us. If you don't like their offerings, there are other brands to choose from. 

This camera was made for photographers, not videographers or both. 

...Was?  :huh:  ;)

Can't agree more with Ebrahim Saadawi. It is the sad truth ... 

This 7Dmk II is very cool for bird shooters. 

It is not made for us. 

Not for me. 

I want a camera as good in video as photo, with at least APSC sensor, 4K, 120fps, 5 axis stab, in a small package ... Will I see that one day ... ? 2 years asking. 

And a little bird tells me I am not the same wishing for such a camera. 

They just don't understand some people shoot photo AND video and want only 1 camera for that ? 

I am back from 3 days in Rome with my 5D3 and 16-35mm F4 L IS, what a pain in the ass the weight... I told at the end "I sell it right when I am back"

But if I take a GH4, then I have 4/3 sensor.... 

Well .... 

The 7D had a big status among video shooters. 

I've been a few days to another european capital myself, I took my d800 and only manual glass, worked out wonderfully, 3 old nikkor primes weight less than a modern zoom and I prefer the look. I prefer having to change the lens and maybe miss some shot, than just miss all the shots because I left the giant at home. And no, I'm not going to use some m43 with some crappy zoom, I rather use my phone.

I didn't take any videos :P

Anyway, the moiree on the d800 isn't the worst out there, it's actually the only lineskipping image that works out so so, but you have to use custom picture styles because the ones that come with the camera are all off. Not that I'm saying it's great, but the thing I really dislike about the d800 is the videosih cadence, moire is only an issue when filming distant trees or calm waters (unlike the d600 which is really bad, or the old canons)

• Administrators

I didn't take any videos :P

Right, let me introduce you to the EOSHD forums. It's a discussion forum about video. The context of the discussion and the flow was about video. So make yourself clear if you are talking about the D800 stills capabilities ok?