Dave Dugdale compares the Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7S

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Andrew for posting this and the kind words.

One correction has already happened in this video. It is funny because I have talked to Sony a couple of times about the histogram issue and they said they would add it to their request list --- BUT they don't have to because there is a way to turn it off.

David Sikes says, “In the menu, go the second tap—the gear—and under its second page there is an option called “Exposure Set. Guideâ€. Switch it off“

It works!

• Administrators

Nice tip, thanks.

Here's another - I shoot video in stills mode so I have instant access to firing off a photo on the shutter button as well as a better quality focus assist

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/09/youre-better-shooting-video-stills-mode-sony-a7s/

Thanks for posting Andrew and great work by Dave Dugdale.

I think Dave seems like the ideal candidate for the Live View grading App for the Sony.     It is the only App I have (for my garden variety a7) and it has not crashed (yet).      Not perfect as I can not use magnification or playback in the App but allows literally years worth of colour combinations in camera.

He is probably right about buying the a7s (and GH4), at my early novice level, I should just stick to my A7 for a year or two before upgrading for video (if at all).

Anyway, that was great.

EDIT    Would there be the same issue with AF with A mount lenses and an LA-EA4 adapter?

Outstanding! ;)

The footage in the beginning is pretty unbelievable. ISO25.600. Who'd ever thought that anno 2014 you'd be able to shoot video at 25.600 and get away with it easily? What a strenght to have in a camera.

But there's some practical schtuff the GH4 sports too of course. Every subject is touched on nicely and in the end I think I have to agree that if you can make these camera's work together, there's virtually nothing you can't do. Still kind of debating on if I go that road... what I need to do about lenses for both. Do I stay native? Should I go universal and adapters?

For what it's worth: I have both the GH4 and a 5d mk3 with ML and simply LOVE the colors and robust picture I get out of the 5d with ML Raw. Yes, the workflow is a little bit more elaborate with Raw, but for me and my personal projects it's a no-brainer. I do love the GH4 also for its easy going usefulness and of course 4K.

I do enjoy all the different reviews and I have learned tons by watching both Andrews and Daves collections over the past years. I salute you both.

I do 50/50 video & stills...Dave showed the a7s' 12mp camera to produce great stills and the 16mp of the gh4 probably should equal if not surpass it...having said that...i love the "cinema" and FF look of the a7s and the high ISO but the color and slow glass is somewhat of a concern...not sure...

Whoa whoa whoa, steady there. While I am a big fan of the Micro Four Thirds system there is no way the GH4's stills will equal the A7S's. Not to say they will be bad, but it's a bit like 35mm and 120 film; the 120 will always win, but you compromised in image quality with 35mm to gain in other areas. For me it's the size and quality of the native lenses, together with the video capability of the Panasonic GH line. You need to make sure you know you know what the tradeoffs are and that you will be happy to make them.

I am thinking about dumping my 5d3 raw since the raw process is ridiculous.

There is new breakthrough in ML raw postprocessing, now one can simply use mlv files directly in resolve and possibly in other NLE aps. Another time and HDD space comsuming step has been removed (unpacking dng files out of mlv's). Now everything you have to do is select all mlvs on a card, right click and "mount" them in special little app (takes seconds) and from this moment MLVs appears as folders full of DNGs. Outputting beautiful 10bit DNxHD444 or prores has never been simpler :)

Sorry for this little offtop.

@jasonmillard81 look at the ML forum:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0

Generally speaking guys from ML discovered how to make "on the fly" mlv to dng conversion via virtual file system. It is a great idea and developing is going fast, it is already working with some small issues but it is only a matter of time to iron this out. With this "tool" processing ml raw video will not be much more complicated than say ..."processing" slog2 from a7s.