Here it is - 4K on the Olympus OM-D E-M1

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

e-m1-4k.jpg

The image above apparently shows the new 4K movie mode of the Olympus E-M1.

And for the first time I can reveal the source for this worked as a second unit assistant director on Iron Man 2.

Please note, this news until it is official from Olympus, we have to classify as a rumour but I really do believe this firmware exists.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I heard this today too when I popped into Bob Rigby Camera in the UK they where all saying 4K will be announced on the Olympus at Photokina as a firmware update

(they are Olympus users so are following this avidly !!)

expect a rush on ebay olympus bodies very soon.....

• Administrators

I head this today too when I popped into Bob Rigby Camera in the UK they where all saying 4K will be announced on the Olympus at Photokina as a firmware update

(they are OM-D users so are following this avidly !!)

I popped in there once too, in Bollington? Nice guys and good shop - bought my Acratech levelling base from there.

Any word on how does it compare to the GH4's 4K, IQ, if also has the same pipeline of encoding, if it also has a 2.2xcrop?

If this firmware is real and it's coming, this will be huge because ultimately it means IBIS in 4K! I wonder how Panasonic will react to it or if there was some kind of deal behind this.

I'm also interested in the LX100.

It's rumored to have the same GH4's innards, but it will already come cropped by 2.2x - just like GH4's 4K - and as such the sensor will act as a multi-aspect ratio sensor, not a full 4/3 sensor, it will have a 10.9-34mm f1.7-2.8 (24-75mm FF equivalent), it will come with EVF, 4K and some other stuff.

The size is rumored to be about the same as the EOS-M, something between the RX100 and the G1X MKII, which is ok for me. I would rather have more functions and controls than just a pocketable camera.

The RX100 as well as the LX7 have built-in ND filter, so I hope it does as well. I wonder if this camera will be limited like the FZ1000 in terms of 4K framerates and funcionality or will it have GH4's full capabilities. If it's the later, it better come with a mic input, if not, why make this such a compact video wonder without that?

Just like this supposed E-M1 firmware, due to heat issues, this camera will have a time limitation when recording video. I wonder then, what kind of IS this camera will have, IBIS to keep the lens' size down? OIS to have a better heat dissipation? Or a hybrid like some others Panasonic's to get the best IS possible?

Will this come with a tiltable, swivel or fixed screen? It seems that it may come with a fixed screen but I wonder why. And no word if it's weather sealed, much less how much will this cost. One of 43rumors's sources replied my comment by saying that he thought that price was fair, but that doesn't really say much.

My 2 cents is that this will be $999 and if you think about it, if it comes with all framerates, if it has a good glass, EVF, ND, etc. they could even charge more. But I'm counting on Panasonic being aggressive against Sony, just like they did with the FZ1000, so who knows, maybe even $899? I think I would pay up to $1200 or something and that, if it does come with same GH4's 4K stuff, ND filter, tiltable screen, weather sealed, etc. If not, it would make me have second thoughts about it.

So, this will also wait until September 15th, that's going to be an exciting day, huh?

Why call him the source anymore?

he has his website clearly indicated and in the about us on that site happily mentions his name and that he is "well known as the third assistant director on Iron man II".

Oh well lots more traffic to his website than otherwise.

Hope this all comes true for Olympus users.    (Sony fans should hope so too since Sony is the biggest shareholder in Olympus).

• Administrators

I'm also interested in the LX100.

It's rumored to have the same GH4's innards, but it will already come cropped by 2.2x - just like GH4's 4K - and as such the sensor will act as a multi-aspect ratio sensor, not a full 4/3 sensor, it will have a 10.9-34mm f1.7-2.8 (24-75mm FF equivalent), it will come with EVF, 4K and some other stuff.

Ok going slightly off topic but any interest in a FZ1000 review? I have it in Berlin. Tried it out and quite impressed but wondering whether to spend the time on it or not.

Ok going slightly off topic but any interest in a FZ1000 review? I have it in Berlin. Tried it out and quite impressed but wondering whether to spend the time on it or not.

I am :) I'd also love to know if anyone has found a useable wide angle adaptor; I occasionally need to shoot wide in interiors.

• Administrators

I'm still on the fence about FZ1000... why not just put a 14-140mm on a GH4?

Ok it's cheaper and the lens on the FZ1000 does have a longer reach. Stablisation seemed pretty good when I was trying it out for the first time. So good and bad points to it really...

yes please Andrew - I was wondereing if the next FZ model will have the lens off the FZ200 which is a killer f2.8 constant apperture Leica lens  rather than the FZ1000 lens that stops down as you zoom in.

Ive seen some footage off the FZ1000 (at Media City in Salford last week while editing there) on a 4k Monitor and it did look very good .....a bit of blocking and noise in the blacks on the footage I saw - I would be interesting to see it put through its paces ....

I'm sceptical about the 4K update - I'd love it, but the modus operandi of most camera manufacturers would be to release new hardware at a higher price point to add new features.  is it possible that they were testing this firmware for a new camera that will have the same innards but a few shiny video features and buttons, and cost twice as much?

yes please Andrew - I was wondereing if the next FZ model will have the lens off the FZ200 which is a killer f2.8 constant apperture Leica lens  rather than the FZ1000 lens that stops down as you zoom in.

Ive seen some footage off the FZ1000 (at Media City in Salford last week while editing there) on a 4k Monitor and it did look very good .....a bit of blocking and noise in the blacks on the footage I saw - I would be interesting to see it put through its paces ....

In the blacks? I actually was surprised it handles the blacks so cleanly. The most noise I encountered was in the midrange/greys and found the blacks were surprisingly clean. I actually got it as an all-purpose camera, for stills and video for times I'm not planning on shooting anything, but having something around with a great deal of flexibility, mosty for travelling/on-the-go. It would be an addition to my LX7 which also is an all-purpose camera for more or less exactly that but on a more portable basis. So yeah, count me in for the LX7 successor as well.

And I've got those again in addition to more serious video and photography cameras for less on-the-go quick grab and more dedicated, set up and planned shooting: the GH2, GH4, E-M1 and BMPCC. Of course all but the E-M1 are videomonsters. The E-M1 has lots of things going for it, it's really fun for photography and the IBIS works like a charm for video... but... I do keep running into the issue that 30p is not flexible enough. I really want that 24p and 25p. More so than 4K even (btw, why don't cameras come with 1330p or 1440p? It's either 1080p or 2160p. But for a little post footage stabilization or subtle zoom-ins/pans, 1330/1440p would already do the trick right?).

• Administrators

I'm sceptical about the 4K update - I'd love it, but the modus operandi of most camera manufacturers would be to release new hardware at a higher price point to add new features.  is it possible that they were testing this firmware for a new camera that will have the same innards but a few shiny video features and buttons, and cost twice as much?

Yep there's still a chance this is the strategy, but it doesn't discount the fact that the firmware might already exist for the E-M1. They are probably testing the codec this way. They might have no intention in releasing it for the E-M1, that's my worry. Could purely be a beta test and nothing more to come of it. I hope they do. It would be great and really help E-M1 sales.

Yep there's still a chance this is the strategy, but it doesn't discount the fact that the firmware might already exist for the E-M1. They are probably testing the codec this way. They might have no intention in releasing it for the E-M1, that's my worry. Could purely be a beta test and nothing more to come of it. I hope they do. It would be great and really help E-M1 sales.

But what the "source" said makes sense. The E-M1's life's cycle should be at least 2 years, if not more, so there won't be any successor anytime soon. For what is worth the E-M5 still doesn't have a successor - but it may not have it at all. So, if there is any financial issue and taking Olympus' recent history into consideration it's very plausible, updating the firmware with a major feat would indeed increase the sales - possibly very drastically - and put Olympus on the map for videographers - if done properly, of course - the only cost would be in R&D of the firmware, codec, etc, with no cost on the hardware side, which includes R&D of the hardware as much as to manufacture it.

So, from the logical stand point, the pieces fit, but will they really do it? That's really a different story and until they actually make it official, you never know. But if pre-announcements leaks are usually more accurate, I would give it more than 50/50 chances to happen.