512 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD Cards

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

saw it on the bbc, putting so much data in a card, scary if it fails...

recently i started buying smaller cards and hard discs for safety, at least if it fails i wont lose everything in it.

but this is aimed at the new 4K TECH so its great news for many shooters out there.

Yeah this seems to be the consensus. I'm not so sure I agree though, in my situation. I think it's easier to mis manage data when there are multiple cards. Especially for a camera like the Blackmagic Pocket. It eats up 64GB cards so you have a few sitting around. I've never had one fail, but I've definitely misplaced one and totally lost it.

• Administrators

I don't understand why so many BMCC users are saying it's a bad idea. Do they use 64GB SSDs?

It's pretty obvious Blackmagic users need 512GB SSDs because of the raw video file sizes.

On a DSLR with compressed video and raw stills, why you'd need a 512GB SD is beyond me.

Think of the amount of raw stills or H.264 clips you could store on that and the amount of effort & work down the drain if the card gets corrupted or lost.

With a Blackmagic and 512GB SSD you'd lose about 2 hours of raw video, max.

The new card is aimed at film-makers shooting in the high-quality 4K format.

...and in RAW. To those shooters the 512GB card makes perfect sense, and is likely to become the 'new normal.' Despite the high price. The BMPCC being a prime candidate such a card. If only there was something similar to take care of the battery swap drill.

It's pretty obvious Blackmagic users need 512GB SSDs because of the raw video file sizes.

On a DSLR with compressed video and raw stills, why you'd need a 512GB SD is beyond me.

Think of the amount of raw stills or H.264 clips you could store on that and the amount of effort & work down the drain if the card gets corrupted or lost.

With a Blackmagic and 512GB SSD you'd lose about 2 hours of raw video, max.

Right, I feel like its a huge benefit to Pocket Cam users. That's what I'd use it for. I have a 128GB card for my GH4 and have trouble filling that thing up even with 4K.

• Administrators

...and in RAW. To those shooters the 512GB card makes perfect sense, and is likely to become the 'new normal.' Despite the high price. The BMPCC being a prime candidate such a card. If only there was something similar to take care of the battery swap drill.

What the hell kind of camera does raw to SD card apart from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera?

What the hell kind of camera does raw to SD card apart from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera?

Apparently the BMPCC is the only one today, who knows what the situation will be tomorrow. But that's beside the point. RAW, ProRes HQ, 4K, whatever. They'll all eat up the card space, at an increasing pace.

The point was that the overall demand for SD cards that are both fast and large capacity is likely to increase in the near future. Despite the slightly more compressed recording formats like XAVC. The BMPCC with RAW was just the most obvious example today, but I don't think it will be limited to that. Smaller cameras with high quality video capabilities are becoming increasingly popular, and for such cameras a mighty SD card sounds like a feasible choice, doesn't it.

Now you could, in theory, record a concert or sth. like that with the BMPCC in raw. I'm sure half a year ago I would have desperately wanted two of these cards, asap. In the meantime I have many hours of footage to compare, and even though my expectations rose, I feel not only ProResHQ (over 30 minutes on 64 GB) to be more appropriate than raw for most situations, I found ProRes standard (almost one hour) to be absolutely sufficient, that is: indistinguishable.

Quite. After the obligatory fiddling and playing period, I think I've set the recording format to standard ProRes, too. At least for now. That's what I usually get from the Ninja, too.

But I still think that those big and fast cards won't remain just oddities to omg about. I bet they will find buyers, anyway. Like with many other stuff, what people actually need is another matter, it won't sell the stuff. What matters is what people want. There are plenty of people out there who are where you were a half a year ago, Axel, and as we know, bigger is better...

Suppose I could see myself buying at least one 256 or maybe even 512GB 95mb/s card, mostly for possible urge to shoot RAW, and wanting to be agile whilst doing so. I know that under normal circumstances I don't really have any urgent need for one, but I might get one, anyway. Just for the heck of it.

We'll see.  ;)