2 audio related questions

Grimor

Hi everybody.

In my work I normally use multicamera in interviews with 1 Sony and 2 JVC with time code over BNC cable. But I know that it is risky to have the cameras physically linked, because of the risk that someone crosses and throws a piece of equipment when tripping. Also in live events or on stages and performances this connection is unfeasible. So what would be the recommended price-quality version of wireless TC for 3 simultaneous cameras? Deity TC-1 Kit or 3 units of tentacle E? Then another question would be that I have found it really useful to have an RF line feed from the mixing desk of the pavilion or the concert directly to the main camera, where there is no press splitter for wiring. Currently I do it with a sennheiser G2 lavalier transmitter , but the different line and mic gains and the different amplifications make it complicated.

So, is there a more profesional way to send Line RF feed, to the camera, for at least 30-40 meters away?? @BTM_Pix  @IronFilm@Kisaha @Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I still believe Tentacles are the way to go for "cheap", they have a slightly better version for 2022 anyway, and they seem like the cheap golden standard!

I am no fun of any Deity produced as of now.

As of your other question, I usually was given to the sound man a portable stereo recorder (Tascam DR100mkII or III are excellent for small tasks and with good preamplifiers - if you can't afford MixPre) and started recording 5-10 minutes before the start of the show (usually performances of some kind).

Nowdays, almost 10 times out of 10, I have pre- schedule with the producer, or even the sound man directly, and after he copies the performance to a USB drive and that's all (later on, I am mixing the recording with on camera shotgun mics or stereo mics and it works even better, than having just one or the other).

Whatever wireless method you use to transfer sound, have a shotgun to your main camera because you never know what's going to happen to your wireless signal.

After 24 years to the job, I will never trust more a wireless connection to a wired one!

Well, I agree with everything. At my last rock concert, we used 6 cameras, and only 2 shared the same time code. The sound mixer during rehearsals tested all three of my usb drives and none were recognized by the console (mackie), so no mp3 for me. At least I take my portable recorder (Marantz pmd 661) and adjust the level, since I couldn't keep an eye on it, I put it recording in auto gain mode. Big mistake, because at the start of the concert they turned up the volume and since they didn't have limiter it clipped for almost the entire track. I only had good sound from the rf feed that I took with the G2 and in post production, the synchronization was a nightmare because the clipping prevents the synchronization by wave.

You're not broadcasting this live??? Otherwise the same SDI feed that's going back to you, then you could also run a XLR line feed next to it running in the other direction to feed the cameras. I don't see any problem at all here. This is a normal way to do it. 

If it isn't being broadcast live, then just put a Tentacle Sync E / Deity TC1 / TCS Ltd USO / etc on each camera, and let that do the syncing for you in post. (plus like @Kisaha said, make sure each camera has scratch audio either from an external mic mounted on the camera itself, or the internal mics if it has that) 

13 hours ago, Grimor said:

Well, I agree with everything. At my last rock concert, we used 6 cameras, and only 2 shared the same time code. The sound mixer during rehearsals tested all three of my usb drives and none were recognized by the console (mackie), so no mp3 for me. At least I take my portable recorder (Marantz pmd 661) and adjust the level, since I couldn't keep an eye on it, I put it recording in auto gain mode. Big mistake, because at the start of the concert they turned up the volume and since they didn't have limiter it clipped for almost the entire track. I only had good sound from the rf feed that I took with the G2 and in post production, the synchronization was a nightmare because the clipping prevents the synchronization by wave.

No! Never on auto! If you are not sure, better go lower, you can easily add some db in post..

Maybe you have to format them ON the digital console, or have them Mac ready (Mackie works with everything usually, but they favour Apple stuff), a simple fat32 stick could be useful also..

For so big projects, usually they hire a van, which is a control room as well and have a different approach with an included sound man inside the van.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

No! Never on auto! If you are not sure, better go lower, you can easily add some db in post..

Maybe you have to format them ON the digital console, or have them Mac ready (Mackie works with everything usually, but they favour Apple stuff), a simple fat32 stick could be useful also..

For so big projects, usually they hire a van, which is a control room as well and have a different approach with an included sound man inside the van.

I´m learning in the hard way! 

I should have used the "safety channel" mode where a channel is recorded 6 decibels lower than the other.

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You're not broadcasting this live??? Otherwise the same SDI feed that's going back to you, then you could also run a XLR line feed next to it running in the other direction to feed the cameras. I don't see any problem at all here. This is a normal way to do it. 

If it isn't being broadcast live, then just put a Tentacle Sync E / Deity TC1 / TCS Ltd USO / etc on each camera, and let that do the syncing for you in post. (plus like @Kisaha said, make sure each camera has scratch audio either from an external mic mounted on the camera itself, or the internal mics if it has that) 

We were not brocasting live. Just recording for post-editing.

TC boxes from Denecke or TCS are difficult to find here in Spain. Is easy to find Atomos (ultrasync One/Blue) and Deity.

Thank you very much