Neat Video extreme long render time

bluefonia

I have just downloaded Neat Video noise reduction plugin for FCPX. I does a really good job, but render times seem v   e   r   y long. A 20 sec. clip took aprox. 2 min, to render.

I have an iMac 3.4 GHz i7 with fusion drive , 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB w/CUDA so my hardware is not the slowest on the planet. All other render processes than Neat Video run really fast.

Is it just the way things are with Neat?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It will take a long time no matter what, but doing less intensive NR will help reduce the times. Turning off adaptive filtration and keeping the temporal radius low are pretty big factors. I would imagine that having a more simple noise profile would also help, but I am not sure. Keep in mind the price you pay for simplifying these factors is less effective NR.

Yup, it's universally known to have the longest wait time ever. EVER!! Not an issue once you figure out how to work around it. I suggest making Neat Video the last step in your workflow. For adjusting and testing, just create a new sequence with a very short clip from your edit and sample it there. If you're using LUTS then instead you can make this your first step by rendering out the file and importing the footage back in. It will take longer this way but from what I understand this is the ideal way to edit with LUTS to prevent macro blocking and such. Hope this helps!!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It takes forever. Nothing you can do about it other than upgrading your machine. However, the results in the end still shock me everytime. Actually, I don't mind good noise, it's the codec falling apart artefacts that I do mind It's extremely effective eliminating any compression artefacts, even banding and of course noise.

How many unusable hours of footage I've rescued with neat video, just wish it didn't take so damn long.
Will experiment with the Temporal radius and Adaptive filteration as mentioned above. Perhaps it will help.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

You can enable GPU in Neat Video for FCPX (open Neat, then Tools > Performance). I had to download and install an Nvidia CUDA driver for it to work on my 2013 i7 iMac. It does speed things up, but I was getting so many crashes I've reverted to CPU only again now.

What I've found works, and no idea whether this is the most efficient way of doing things, is simply to turn off all of the neat video effects (i.e. lasso everything and click the blue on/off flag in the effects pane of the inspector) and you can edit quickly again, playback without dropping frames etc. Then turn them all back on again just before you do an export.

Question for all of you guys who render everything out with NR before editing: what is your workflow like? Sometimes my projects will have hundreds of clips and I can't imagine importing and exporting every single clip (from FCPX). If there was some automated way to do it, I would love to know.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

What I've found works, and no idea whether this is the most efficient way of doing things, is simply to turn off all of the neat video effects (i.e. lasso everything and click the blue on/off flag in the effects pane of the inspector) and you can edit quickly again, playback without dropping frames etc. Then turn them all back on again just before you do an export.

This is what I do too