My wishlist for the next Panny upper tier S-camera

Amazeballs

So lets see..

1. Big bright focking screen 4.5-5 inches. Yes, we want that, we need that. If you are making a cinema camera in your S-line it should have that. With a reworked menu and proper monitoring tools.

2. Ability to add gyro stabilization in post. Panny already have e-stab that works on top of their awesome Active IS. So why not give us an OFX plug-in that works in every editing sofware and brings stabilisation to the next level.. again!

3. Some proper video specs. FF6k60p should be a minimum high frame rate option I would think. 8k? Maybe but not really that important. 4k120p should be there as well. 

4. RAW is imminent I guess just wish they would add BRAW. Not really holding my fingers for that but one can dream right?

I dont even know what else would I need. Some top tier DR probably cutting into Alexa territory. 

• Amazeballs changed the title to My wishlist for the next Panny upper tier S-camera
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

#1 wish: give us zero delay SDI output!! (they can go with DIN instead of BNC if they need to save space, no big deal, one of my old Atomos monitors already uses DIN instead of BNC)

Just now, Maxbrand said:

Not that they are taking note, but to me the biggest improvement needed that I can't believe is still an issue is the HDMI delay. As long as the latency is this high it will never be able to be used in a professional setting. Both pulling focus and just monitoring in general is so much worse because of it. 

Oh snap! We posted this at exactly the same time. 

Just better rolling shutter and 4K60fps Full Frame (I don't think we will see 120fps with a 20MP+ sensor). I was not so impressed by Gyro stabilization on the A7SIII, the new Panny stabilization looks way better, no need to use very high shutter speed, no crop, no post processing, no resolution lost.

2 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Its all about getting the right sensor from Sony. I dont have and doubt Panasonic could make FF4k60p and less rolling shutter already if they had better sensor tech. 

Even the A1 can't do 4K 120fps without crop. I think the S1II will only have 4K60fps Full Frame, maybe the S1HII but the price will be very high.

2 hours ago, Maxbrand said:

Not that they are taking note, but to me the biggest improvement needed that I can't believe is still an issue is the HDMI delay. As long as the latency is this high it will never be able to be used in a professional setting. Both pulling focus and just monitoring in general is so much worse because of it. 

Same; if it's really as bad as the only review that mentioned it (Gerald Undone) then it's just completely unusable. I'm surprised none of the other reviews mentioned it though, even the ones that used it with a monitor as it would be instantly apparent and a huge flaw. Maybe it was a pre-production glitch?

1 hour ago, MeDaZzA said:

Same; if it's really as bad as the only review that mentioned it (Gerald Undone) then it's just completely unusable. I'm surprised none of the other reviews mentioned it though, even the ones that used it with a monitor as it would be instantly apparent and a huge flaw. Maybe it was a pre-production glitch?

This has been a problem for as long as I've used Panasonic ILCs though. I've had this problem with GH3, GH5, S1, S5 and now it's apparently the same for S5II. 

So I doubt it's a preproduction issue unfortunately. 

45 minutes ago, Maxbrand said:

This has been a problem for as long as I've used Panasonic ILCs though. I've had this problem with GH3, GH5, S1, S5 and now it's apparently the same for S5II. 

So I doubt it's a preproduction issue unfortunately. 

I really hope you're wrong Maxbrand. I know there's high latency on the other bodies but it looks far, far worse on the S5 II. Newshooter did tests on the S5 (I) and called the latency horrible at 221ms. Gerald said the S5 II is about 1/2 a second which is well over double. that. 

2 hours ago, Beritar said:

Even the A1 can't do 4K 120fps without crop. I think the S1II will only have 4K60fps Full Frame, maybe the S1HII but the price will be very high.

Matt from Newsshooter seems extremely confident the S1Hmk2 won't be coming out this year. (or unlikely to even happen next year) 

With 0.5s hdmi lag i don't need that full hdmi. If you put a consumet wireless on top like a Hollyland, it will even add up more.

Top of the line Panny. S2H with open gate downsampled 4k60 with rolling shutter below 15ms, perfect HD up to 120p. SDI, internal NDs. More freedom to crop for S16, 16mm, 2/3 inch, 1to1 with full height of the sensor, all that up to its maximal framerates. 3200 Euro without internal NDs but with Sdi. S2HX with NDs for 4000 Euro. Dreamcam.

Put that in a Eva body for 5500 Euro.

Dynamic range is already top!

Alternatively a S2H with downsampled 4k60 in FF with rolling shutter below 15ms, perfect HD up to 120, more love and flexibility for crop modes, the new AF system, low Hdmi lag. For 2900 Euro.

@IronFilm S2H or S1H2 in 2025? That's darn late. Forget my wishlist!😂

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Matt from Newsshooter seems extremely confident the S1Hmk2 won't be coming out this year. (or unlikely to even happen next year) 

I agree with him, that doesn't seem realistic to see the S1H II this year (or maybe a S1H II with just the upgraded AF).

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@IronFilm S2H or S1H2 in 2025? That's darn late. Forget my wishlist!😂

I'm hoping instead for a "BS2H" instead. 

31 minutes ago, Beritar said:

I agree with him, that doesn't seem realistic to see the S1H II this year (or maybe a S1H II with just the upgraded AF).

Maybe a very very modest update to the S1H? Just like the GH5 to the GH5mk2

Full frame 4K 60p needs to be the standard. At $2000 it's hard to be too critical of Panny boy for not doing it, but still.

8 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

1. Big bright focking screen 4.5-5 inches. Yes, we want that, we need that. If you are making a cinema camera in your S-line it should have that. With a reworked menu and proper monitoring tools.

I'm okay with the size of the S5 screen. It could stand to be a little brighter though.

8 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

2. Ability to add gyro stabilization in post. Panny already have e-stab that works on top of their awesome Active IS. So why not give us an OFX plug-in that works in every editing sofware and brings stabilisation to the next level.. again!

I thought I heard someone say Panny does that in camera already? I might've misheard. But this is pretty low on my want list. I guess it'd be nice in the very rare instances where I would need it, but I actually much prefer IBIS. It feels much more natural looking. 

8 hours ago, Maxbrand said:

but to me the biggest improvement needed that I can't believe is still an issue is the HDMI delay.

Yeah, it's part of the reason I don't even bother to use an external monitor/recorder.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What he actually predicted was that there won't be any more S1H cameras period; here's a direct quote from his review of the S5ii:

"You don’t have to read between the lines to work out that the S5 II and S5 II x are essentially the S1H replacement. The original S5 is not being discontinued, and despite the new cameras wearing the S5 name, it is safe to assume that they are the new flagship cameras and there won’t be an S1H II.

The S1H was a very underrated camera and in a lot of ways, it was ahead of its time. If it hadn’t been for the average at best AF performance, it may well have become a bigger success. The lack of native lens options at the time of its release also didn’t help its cause."

I currently have a pair of S1R’s for 90% stills/10% video use and an S5/S1H for 100% video use.

I’m going to trade the S5 and S1H for a pair of S5ii’s. Not the X models as I don’t need that spec.

Anything to beat an S1R has a tough act to follow…

I picked both of mine up as mint used examples and together they cost me about 3400 euros (less than a single new one).

I don’t need any more capability in either. Nope, not a thing.

In fact, I’d rather see an S5iiR because I’d prefer an S5 size body with battery grip over an S1R with (a bit too big) or without (a bit too small).

I’m also interested to see what Leica do as I might go there for my next stills bodied cameras. Partly for that tiny bit of extra mojo they do seem to bring and partly yes, as a pro photographer of over 20 years, to scratch that itch!

18 hours ago, bjohn said:

What he actually predicted was that there won't be any more S1H cameras period; here's a direct quote from his review of the S5ii:

"You don’t have to read between the lines to work out that the S5 II and S5 II x are essentially the S1H replacement. The original S5 is not being discontinued, and despite the new cameras wearing the S5 name, it is safe to assume that they are the new flagship cameras and there won’t be an S1H II.

The S1H was a very underrated camera and in a lot of ways, it was ahead of its time. If it hadn’t been for the average at best AF performance, it may well have become a bigger success. The lack of native lens options at the time of its release also didn’t help its cause."

He didn't say there will be never a S1H.  And even if he had, it is still very hard to predict what will happen in three or five years time... never say never to a possibility. 

But yes, I agree with him (as he's a pretty good source!), just saying that my post didn't contradict it at all. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

He didn't say there will be never a S1H.  And even if he had, it is still very hard to predict what will happen in three or five years time... never say never to a possibility. 

But yes, I agree with him (as he's a pretty good source!), just saying that my post didn't contradict it at all. 

He didn't say never but he did say "they ( the s5ii and s5iiX ) are the new flagship cameras and there won’t be an S1H II" which sounds pretty close to the S1H line is history. Either way, I cant see how the newly released S5 model cameras replace the need for a S1H refresh.