Hard time choosing hybrid for photo/video... X-T4, S5 or Z6?

dreamplayhouse

I love taking portraits but also love to dabble in video with short films and use Resolve to color grade. I would say I will be 60% photo and 40% video.
I tried the S5 and Z6 but haven't tried the X-T4 and I have to decide which to get this weekend - used not new.

For whatever reason the S5 video has a certain look to it that I can't put my finger on but does look more organic than the Z6. How does the X-T4 compare to these two?
I will mostly use vintage manual lenses for video so autofocus is not important. The S5 viewfinder was kind of meh compared to the Z6.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can chime in with the Z6 as one who has been using it for video since 2020. With an external recorder and shooting NLOG the quality is quite excellent. I believe it will hold up against the s5. S5 probably looks slightly more filmic and has more DR but honestly the z6 is plenty, still has excellent DR and good highlight rolloff. Grading in Davinci Resolve is great, but use the Davinci Resolve CST instead of the NLOG 3D LUT.  

The setup is heavy, bulky, and not great ergonomically with the Z6 and Atomos Ninja V. But the Ninja V brings great assist tools, and the 4k 10 bit PRORES looks fantastic. Weigh your options carefully, as I don’t love the internal footage so to make the most you will need to rig up an external recorder each time you want 10 bit and LOG. Rigging up can be a major pain as it means extra steps whenever you want a really good image out of the camera.  It also means more batteries to worry about  

If you can get your hands on a cheap Atomos Ninja Star, this provides a way to keep the setup smaller while maintaining 10 bit. You are limited to 1080p 24p or 30p, but the Z6 can output a downsampled 1080p signal using oversampling, so detail is quite good. I find the footage holds up well especially if you are delivering online, and I prefer the downsampled image any day of the week compared to the internal 8 bit 4k recording. 

The only real benefits over the S5 are phase detection autofocus that is quite usuable in video mode, as well as mini HDMI instead of micro HDMI. The main benefits over the XT4 are again a slightly larger HDMI port and the various advantages full frame bring to the table, such as better lowlight. Dynamic range in NLOG is probably slightly more than the XT4 in FLOG. But I honestly think outside of high ISO performance the XT4 internal 10 bit 4k will hold its own against the Nikon Z6’s external 4k. And you can get fast lenses to get similar DOF on the XT4. 

The Z6 is underrated for video, as used when paired with either the Ninja Star or Ninja V makes it the cheapest full frame 10 bit camera with phase detect AF. That being said you really need to decide if you are fine using external recorders for your video, or if you value a great image internally. I would seriously consider the XT4 due to that benefit. And if you can accept reduced autofocus performance or just shoot manual, get the S5 and call it a day. 

I just noticed you mentioned AF is not important. In that case don’t consider the z6, go with the S5. Again, externally the Z6 can keep up with the S5 image but autofocus is the only advantage the Z6 has, as well as more affordable lens opportunities if one wants to maintain that autofocus. On the S5 you need first-party Panasonic lenses for the best performance. On the Z6 you also have affordable used F-mount glass via the FTZ adapter. You also have third party Z mount primes from Viltrox that are affordable and have reliable video AF. 

20 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The X-T4 has IBIS, but it's not very good. If you decide to go that route I'd honestly probably just get the X-T3 since there wasn't much different between the two outside of that.

I'm biased, but I'd go with the S5. I prefer the look of the video out of the three, and it takes very good photos too.

Good to know the XT4 IBIS is trash so we can all save money, the XT3 goes for peanuts these days. Have considered switching to gain the internal 10 bit but using the Ninja Star works well enough for me and I’d rather keep full frame because occasionally I need the good high ISO performance. 

If the X-T4 had better IBIS and didn't have the recording limits I probably would've switched as I was in decent position to do so when it came out. Then COVID dragged on and killed my year, so I am glad I didn't! But I am quite fond of those Fuji colors straight out of the camera, though I am pretty pleased with the S5's colors. I'm glad that I ended up with the S5.

Agree with the s5. In a similar boat. Actually thinking of dumping my xt4 due to low light performance.  I hate the AF as well but considering learning to shoot manual and the s5 seems appealing. Nearly as good as color as xt4 if not better and better ISO by my a mile. 

I am biased as an L Mount user, but S5 for me also.

As a former XT3 user, I was going to go XT4 for 2020...until Covid changed my plans and trashed my year so my pre-orders were cancelled.

At the end of that year, I went S5 over the XT4 or Z6.

Why?

Combination of factors but the components that were a priority to me added up to S5 over anything else.

Not exactly 'dirt' cheap right now, but can be had below 1000 'Your Currency' used and only going to get cheaper still now that the S5ii is arriving in Feb 2023. 

I looked at the XH2s recently and considered the Z6ii and the Canon R6ii and out of these it would be a tough call but having seen the spec of the new S5ii, for me that would be my choice. For a new/latest piece of kit, otherwise used, an S5.

As things stand, pretty sure I'm going to be trading my S5 and S1H for a pair of S5ii-x's in the new year because it makes sense for my needs. Maybe even my S1R's also for another, but ideally going to wait and see whether a replacement for the S1R is going to appear because for my stills needs, they tick all the boxes and it's just the video side of the hybrid equation where they don't. Fabulous 5k footage, but not 50p without going to 8 bit 4k.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:00 AM, MrSMW said:

I am biased as an L Mount user, but S5 for me also.

As a former XT3 user, I was going to go XT4 for 2020...until Covid changed my plans and trashed my year so my pre-orders were cancelled.

At the end of that year, I went S5 over the XT4 or Z6.

Why?

Combination of factors but the components that were a priority to me added up to S5 over anything else.

Not exactly 'dirt' cheap right now, but can be had below 1000 'Your Currency' used and only going to get cheaper still now that the S5ii is arriving in Feb 2023. 

I looked at the XH2s recently and considered the Z6ii and the Canon R6ii and out of these it would be a tough call but having seen the spec of the new S5ii, for me that would be my choice. For a new/latest piece of kit, otherwise used, an S5.

As things stand, pretty sure I'm going to be trading my S5 and S1H for a pair of S5ii-x's in the new year because it makes sense for my needs. Maybe even my S1R's also for another, but ideally going to wait and see whether a replacement for the S1R is going to appear because for my stills needs, they tick all the boxes and it's just the video side of the hybrid equation where they don't. Fabulous 5k footage, but not 50p without going to 8 bit 4k.

How are they differentiating S5II and the “x” version?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Looks like S5mk2 is the very easy answer for OP's answer!

Except they want it secondhand...  well, coin flip then in getting either the Panasonic S5mk1 or Nikon Z6

Right.  But budget in a ninja v or ninja star if you get the Z6. 

2 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

Thanks for all your comments. I decided I'm going to go with Z6 and might get a Ninja 2 or Star for 10bit video. I just prefer the handling and EVF of the Z6. Actually had the Z6 last year and returned for another camera... it's been a camera gear disease for a few years now.

Let me know if you have any questions, saying as I have that exact same setup!

If you use the Ninja V you have great assist tools, waveforms false color zebras and LUT support.  If you use a Ninja Star you rely in the Z6 built-in screen.  Has Zebras and focus peaking, but you can only have one or the other enabled.  Zebras are in 8 bit code values instead of IRE; I just set it to the highest number and ETTR, but need to run more tests to see how accurate they are.  And when using HDMI sometimes they just don't appear, so you need to hit the q menu button and then exit, and then the zebras appear as normal.  No internal LUT support for monitoring but it does have an NLOG view assist.  Which is nice but doesn't account for overexposing by 1-2 stops, which is where NLOG shines.  I don't honestly think these are huge issues for run and gun stuff, as when I need more critical assist tools for controlled environments I just switch to the Ninja V.

The Panasonic S5 and Nikon Z6 are both versatile cameras that can be used for both still photography and video. Both cameras have full-frame sensors and offer good image quality, but they have some differences that may make one a better fit for you than the other.The Fuji film X-T4, is a mirror less camera that offers advanced auto focus, high-resolution still images, and smooth, high-quality video with high-resolution. The camera also has high resolution electronic viewfinder and advanced auto focus compared to the S5. It also has higher resolution and better AF performance than the Z6. It also has film simulation feature that you might like. If you are looking for high-resolution stills and advanced video features, the X-T4 may be a good choice for you.

• Super Members
15 hours ago, pcmaster race said:

The Panasonic S5 and Nikon Z6 are both versatile cameras that can be used for both still photography and video. Both cameras have full-frame sensors and offer good image quality, but they have some differences that may make one a better fit for you than the other.The Fuji film X-T4, is a mirror less camera that offers advanced auto focus, high-resolution still images, and smooth, high-quality video with high-resolution. The camera also has high resolution electronic viewfinder and advanced auto focus compared to the S5. It also has higher resolution and better AF performance than the Z6. It also has film simulation feature that you might like. If you are looking for high-resolution stills and advanced video features, the X-T4 may be a good choice for you.

The Fuji film X-T4 is a great camera, but the Nikon Z6 is a more versatile option that offers better performance and features. The Nikon Z6 has a full-frame sensor, which makes it ideal for low-light photography and provides more depth-of-field control. The Z6 also has a better autofocus system, with more focus points and better tracking capabilities than the X-T4. Additionally, the Nikon Z6 has a longer battery life and dual card slots, which is a plus for professional photographers. In conclusion, while the Fuji film X-T4 is a great camera and has its own strengths, the Nikon Z6 offers more advanced features and capabilities, making it a better option for those who want a versatile camera that can be used for both still photography and video.

** If someone is going to generate a post using ChatGPT then its only fair that we use ChatGPT to generate a reply to it. **