Sony to officially reveal 4K XDCAM 'FS700-successor' on 12th September

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
sony xdcam 4k

Sony UK have posted this teaser video featuring various video pros and directors of photography, claiming the 'next pro camera' is coming September 12th. I believe this to be a Super 35mm 4K XDCAM with E-mount, positioned around the $10k point to take on the Canon C300. The timing of the announcement coincides exactly with the start of the IBC pro video trade show in Amsterdam.Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I'd prefer it to have the A7S full frame sensor instead of the F5's, but I don't think it will because one of the big selling points is slow-mo. It will likely do 180fps. I don't think the A7S sensor is capable of that, not even in 1080p.

Full frame?  I assume sony realise that almost all fs100-700 users are using L lenses or other adapted dslr lenses via a metabones adaptor, and as such a full frame sensor (the same as the A7S?) is catered for in the lens dept.  

Highly unlikely. Super35 is "full frame" for cinema, and using a larger sensor could alienate part of their customer base. I think saying "almost all" users are putting L glass on them is a bit off base as well. I've seen (and used) a lot of EF glass on FS700s (though only some was L, and most of the time it's been Zeiss CP.2s or Canon CN-Es), but I've seen nearly as many lower end users being fine with E glass, and higher end users adapting PL glass.

Most cine lenses are designed for S35 sensors. Full frame is a cool look, but it's not the standard - and there's already an A7S for that.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with this camera. There's a lot more high quality competition in the marketplace than there was when the FS700 came out. Hopefully they have a few tricks up their sleeve. 

• Administrators

Sensors larger than Super 35mm are a perfectly reasonable proposition in the cinema world, look at the Red Dragon or 65mm.

Putting a full frame sensor in the new Sony would work fine with PL lenses, etc. because it would have a crop mode for Super 35mm.

The issue would be resolution and readout speed. To crop from full frame to S35 and still have 4K2K resolution would make the entire full frame sensor an 8K one, and there ain't no 180fps coming off that for $10k I can tell you now :)

My guess it'll be a super 35 chip. I'm hoping it gets a real 10 bit 422 codec internally and delivers at least 120 fps 1080p. I personally don't care if it's not 4k. I'd rather get a fuller color gamut and amazing sensitivity over a resolution no client has yet to request. But if it must be 4k, give us a codec that doesn't spread the butter too thin so to speak. Another plus is that it appears to use internal batteries instead of V mount. For gimbal owners this is a big deal. If they keep it small and light it'll be a hit with 3 axis. And please, let's hope the iris adjustment for ringless lenses is in the front. Nothing bugs me more than the C300's iris ring placement. When it's on my shoulder (which is often), I have to reach around by my ear to adjust iris. POA.

Go Sony.

I'd prefer it to have the A7S full frame sensor instead of the F5's, but I don't think it will because one of the big selling points is slow-mo. It will likely do 180fps. I don't think the A7S sensor is capable of that, not even in 1080p.

When someone comes out with a fully featured FF pro camera, that's a wrap. Not sure why nobody (except Phantom 65, way out of my pocket) has decided to do it. Sony's prosumer FF camcorder attempt doesn't count.

Surely that's more to do with the chips soldered to the sensor than the sensor itself, presumably with a lot more space in the camera, there will be room for better airflow management, heatsinks etc which will allow them to solder faster, hotter running silicon giving slo-mo and/or opening up the possibility for reduced jello.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Surely that's more to do with the chips soldered to the sensor than the sensor itself, presumably with a lot more space in the camera, there will be room for better airflow management, heatsinks etc which will allow them to solder faster, hotter running silicon giving slo-mo and/or opening up the possibility for reduced jello.

Well actually the speed at which the sensor can be read is one of the core specifications of each sensor. Each individual sensor has a maximum frame rate regardless of what body it's used in.

I have no information of the exact maximum speed the A7s sensor can go, but I would expect as Andrew suggests, not very high, not FS700-high anyway. It's already applying a heavy crop and a very cruel way of scanning the sensor (aliasing and moire) just to be able to go as fast as 120fps at 720p.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Nothing bugs me more than the C300's iris ring placement. When it's on my shoulder (which is often), I have to reach around by my ear to adjust iris. POA.

Go Sony.

You mean when not using the hand grip? The main control dial on the hand grip can be set to adjust either the iris or gain.

You mean when not using the hand grip? The main control dial on the hand grip can be set to adjust either the iris or gain.

When using it on a shoulder rig, releasing the right hand to adjust iris on handgrip is slightly more a POA than reaching around your right ear to adjust it. The solution is using a handgrip relocator. Not a standard rental item and 400.00 dollars US plus for decent one (not Zacuto). 

Ah those lovely C300 ergonomics everyone raves about  ;)

Who are these people? They probably don't have to work with one. I've spent all Summer with a C300 for an NBC show, and I hate the camera more and more each day. We've destroyed a couple top handles, three DC ports, created more Franken rigs than I care to remember, etc. Canon's problem isn't having young designers, it's having clueless designers who probably never had to earn a living with a camera. Otherwise, they'd never come out with such ass backwards stuff. They got it more twisted than Red, and that takes some effort. They still have one foot in photography and haven't fully committed to video. EVF in the rear, external 4k for 25k, XLR inseparable from their LCD in the  most inane place, top  heavy.......crack and work don't mix.

I'll give a hall pass on DSLR's or mirror less because of the small size and all the good things that entails. But for dedicated video cams, ergonomics and simple use is king. Please Sony, get it right.