Nikon D3200 and Samsung NX20 - hands on with two new budget video DSLRs

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/samsung-nx20-vs-nikon-d3200.jpg[/img]

There are two new cameras are on the DSLR video radar. The new NX20 is Samsung’s answer to the GH2 and similar in many ways (though crucially not one, as we’ll see in a moment).

A nice surprise is that it has a 1920×810 2.35:1 anamorphic cinemascope mode.

It is also interesting in that it’s one of the first ‘smart DSLR’ style cameras with features that make the iPhone and Galaxy S such a compelling photography tool.

The Nikon D3200 is a much improved (in video terms) entry level model for just $699, nevertheless featuring a spectacular 24MP sensor and Expeed 3 image processor from the $5999 D4!

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/?p=8129/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=eosjames link=topic=770.msg5594#msg5594 date=1337806447]
I really like the idea of the anamorphic cinemascope mode! I hope this is something we'll see in all future dSLRs.
[/quote]

If my logic skills don't deceive me there is no anamorphic wizardry. There is a simple crop. One you could also - and better! - perform by dragging a 1920 x 1080 clip into a 1920 x 803 desktop sequence (not cinemascope, but the modern scope, this AR is a common preset in digital cinema processors). Correct me.

[quote author=Josh link=topic=770.msg5599#msg5599 date=1337821415]
The major problem I have with the D3200 is the noise performance. After testing, I've found that even ISO 400 is extremely noisy.
[/quote]

Ouch!
That looks like ISO 6400 on my 60D. Really disappointing...

I really like the idea of the anamorphic cinemascope mode! I hope this is something we'll see in all future dSLRs.
[/quote]

I wondered the same thing when I first saw it last month.  It would be something for an option or something like it in 1920x800... Super 35 style.  Wouldn't that be something.

Also, they (Samsung) are coming out with their compact version of the NX series -- I think NX200/NX210...

Samsung NX20 NX210 and NX1000 cameras share exactly the same sensor and video mode.Samsung is known for pretty bad aliasing on their previous NX cameras,so no surprise there.Is moire and aliasing worse than on Canons? I still wanna try my Olympus 12-60mm Four Thirds lens on NX20 or 210 camera.Maybe add a Cinemorph and anti-aliasing filter...Prices will drop fast, NX20 is already $975 online.

[quote author=Axel link=topic=770.msg5595#msg5595 date=1337810174]
[/quote]

If my logic skills don't deceive me there is no anamorphic wizardry. There is a simple crop. One you could also - and better! - perform by dragging a 1920 x 1080 clip into a 1920 x 803 desktop sequence (not cinemascope, but the modern scope, this AR is a common preset in digital cinema processors). Correct me.
[/quote]

I hope there is more to it then that but they should call it 'Anamorphic Crop Mode' if so.  :D
I would like to get into Anamorphic some day.

• 1 month later...