We are almost there. A rant about my perfect camera beeing around the corner.

Amazeballs

I just thought today, what do I want from a next iteration of Sony FX3? 

I want simple things:

- much bigger screen of at least 1000 nits and around 5 inch diagonal

- build-in eND

- all the firmware upgrades from recent Sony cameras

- maybe a gopro build-in gyro stab, without the need of post processing

And thats it! I have enough resolution, plenty of DR and everything else. Yes sure, I dont mind 6k or even 8k, dont mind more DR but basicly this camera is alreday perfect fot its size. Just need those couple of features that would make my life so much easier. In terms of IQ and sensor tech Sony is already awesome and you can shoot basicly any project with it. I really hopy Sony impliments those things (at lease eND and bigger screen) in the next installment of its FX3 camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

I want simple things:

- build-in eND

And thats it! I have enough resolution, plenty of DR and everything else. Yes sure, I dont mind 6k or even 8k, dont mind more DR but basicly this camera is alreday perfect fot its size. Just need those couple of features that would make my life so much easier. In terms of IQ and sensor tech Sony is already awesome and you can shoot basicly any project with it. I really hopy Sony impliments those things (at lease eND and bigger screen) in the next installment of its FX3 camera.

Agreed we aren’t far away. It’s really not possible to truly complain about the images anymore. The 10 bit image from my Nikon Z6 is already good enough that I don’t think one needs better, plenty of DR, good color, thick coded and easy grading. FX3 is even better. We literally just need internal ND and waveforms basically and we are good

2 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

We literally just need internal ND and waveforms basically and we are good

Yes, proper monitoring tools, waveforms, false colors, lots of peaking and zebra options, etc. There is no point for them on the small screen but on a bigger one - sure! Through some anamorphic options in the bag and we are set.

FX3 would be perfect for me with a rear tilt screen.

Shutter angle a bonus as would be internal ND.

That would do me.

It’s really more the form factor and ergos than the capability now (rather than any kind of internal spec) for me with most cameras having the capability I need.

XH2s/FX3/FX30/S5/R6ii/FP… it’s just the rear screen type that is my issue with them all.

3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I want simple things:

- build-in eND

I agree with you, they are all very close. My own list for perfection would be to start with the R7 or R6II and add:

• eND
  • WFM
  • GoPro level of digital IS
  • Panasonic S5's level of menu customization
  • 32bit Float Audio
  • XFAVC codec
  • Add all of FW features from the R6II to the R7 (focus guides, false color, etc.)
  • Add the R6II's back dial to the R7 and add the R7's wheel around the joystick to the R6II
  • Add a built in wireless flash transmitter to the R6 and R7.  This would be awesome for quick off camera flash setups

Honestly though, for me the R7 is already close enough that I don't really need any of those things and it is as close to perfect for what I do that it already is the perfect hybrid camera for me.  But nice to haves will always be nice to have 

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

FX3 would be perfect for me with a rear tilt screen.

Shutter angle a bonus as would be internal ND.

That would do me.

It’s really more the form factor and ergos than the capability now (rather than any kind of internal spec) for me with most cameras having the capability I need.

XH2s/FX3/FX30/S5/R6ii/FP… it’s just the rear screen type that is my issue with them all.

For me its just minor ecosystem optimizations that are on my wish list. The resolution, lowlight performance, DR, and codecs of any modern midrange mirrorless are more than sufficient for anything I need. And when I need more I have the C70.

16 minutes ago, PPNS said:

Arent you just describing a p6k pro?

That would just generate another wish list -- lens mount (EF is dead), IBIS, AF, weather sealing, battery life, photography capabilities, ergonomics, codecs, etc. etc. The OP created a list after evaluating all of the things the FX3 already does perfectly.

S5 with full HDMI, internal ND, zero (-1) option for sharpening like S1H and OPLF filter.

Or a S1H with internal ND but with SDI, since it´s already a biggie and the BS1H has it already.

Btw, my vote for Blackmagic on quality of videos posted on youtube in comparison to current Sony, Pana, Canon and Fuji videos. I enjoy my BM Micro more than my S1, which is far from being the perfect camera.

4 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

no AF, no IBIS, too bulky and apc-s only, old EF mount, but yeah they got couple of things extremly right. I wish BM would join l-mount alliance and add some proper tech for their cameras (AF and IBIS). 

Yep, BMD needs a mirrorless mount. Im guessing the next iteration of Pocket camera will have L mount. Can't see them getting RF or E Mount. 

The FX30 is close to perfect for me but I too would love an eND and slightly larger 1000+nit screen. I'd be happy for it to be a little bigger to accomodate a 4-5" touch screen and get rid of the buttons on the back. A touch screen would mean they need a menu system like BMD which Sony are far off being able to produce it seems. 

1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

Yep, BMD needs a mirrorless mount. Im guessing the next iteration of Pocket camera will have L mount. Can't see them getting RF or E Mount. 

The L Mount alliance is dead, that would not be a good direction for them to go in (limited lens selection, inconsistent lens experience between the different members, very expensive Leica lenses, etc.), the only good thing about it is that Sigma makes an L mount to EF mount lens adapter but that would bring them right back to where they are now with an EF mount and the adapter does not support CAF at all.

With that said, I have no idea what mount they could use, no way Canon will let them use an RF mount if Canon doesn't even allow 3rd party RF AF lenses unless maybe they pay a licensing fee and even then I doubt Canon would allow it. The E Mount might be their only other option but that would still mean all existing BM owners would need to get new lenses or an EF to E mount adapter which still brings you back to a dead mount and that's assuming Sony even let them use their mount. No good mount options for BM at this point.

1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

The FX30 is close to perfect for me but I too would love an eND and slightly larger 1000+nit screen. I'd be happy for it to be a little bigger to accomodate a 4-5" touch screen and get rid of the buttons on the back. A touch screen would mean they need a menu system like BMD which Sony are far off being able to produce it seems. 

I am surprised no one, not even Panasonic is putting eND's in their mirrorless lines. I often wonder if Sony patented it preventing anyone else from doing it. eND would be a game changer for many of us. Sony definitely took a page from the Canon cripplehammer playbook by not adding it to their FX3; of course it is also possible there is some technical limitation we don't know about or maybe it drains the battery when it is in use.

I would love to dial in F1.8 in midday sun with a 180 shutter angle and let the eND automatically fix the exposure for me.

To me, the best camera out there right now is pretty darn close to my perfect camera, and that's the Z9. Of course that's way out of my price range and would require switching systems. 

I have never enjoyed using Sony cameras. They are utilitarian to a fault. So it's always so wild to me when people say Sony is the closest to being "the perfect camera" for them. The IBIS is pretty much useless unless you're standing still, their ergonomics aren't good (some like them though), I don't like their color, S-log is harder to grade vs. V-log, they lack the video focus features that entry level Panasonic cameras have (how are you going to release a "cinema camera" that lacks video features?!), and ultimately I don't get any joy out of using them. That last one is the most important. To me the biggest selling point for Sony is that they're arguably the most stable brand right now, and so I wouldn't have to worry about investing into the system and it being sold or shuttered as the market shrinks and companies decide to get out of the camera business. If I was just an enthusiast that wouldn't matter so much, but as someone that makes a living using this equipment it is a huge factor.

The S5 honestly is really, really close to being all I'll need for the next 5 years, short of some huge breakthrough in technology. I feel like most cameras are more than enough these days when it comes to capabilities. On the S5 there are so many little things that I'd like to see improved upon, but they're more "quality of life" type things. I'd LOVE to get that S1H screen on a S5. I like flip screens, but there are absolutely times when it'd be nice to just tilt it down or to the right in tight spaces. A full sized HDMI port should be standard on ALL cameras by now. E-ND would be nice, but I honestly don't mind using variable ND on my lenses. Better autofocus would be nice, but again I've made the autofocus work for me. A bigger EVF would be nice, but again, not a dealbreaker. I wish the rubberized texture was on the SD card door. I hope that the GH6 not having a battery grip was an oversight and not the direction they are moving in, so I hope whatever iteration that comes next has a battery grip. Related: I don't know if Panasonic made it difficult for third party manufacturers to make their battery grips or if the S5 just wasn't popular enough, but if they did make it difficult for them to make one I hope they don't do that going forward because while the S5 has very good battery life, it's still nice to have more. The DSTE grips I got for the G85 and GH5 were wonderful.

Scratch my previous post. I literally any full-frame camera released since 2018…with a catch. Never going to happen, but if someone were to decrypt the firmware and write a simple script to dump the raw live view feed to the memory card, magic lantern style, that would be my perfect camera. The just give me usuable autofocus and zebras and I’m good. So even an A7III or Nikon Z6 with a hack like this would be perfect. Never going to happen though.