GoPro Hero 11 is approaching Cinema Camera Standards with New Updates

markr041

11 hours ago, MangoZoom said:

Great video, Mark. Learning a lot from it. And thanks for pointing me to GoPro Labs, it`s a new world for me. What is the Labs code for REC2020 ?

Latest lab codes are here but it's really a mess

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/extensions/

I guess BITR LOGB NR01 all used together 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

Latest lab codes are here but it's really a mess

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/extensions/

I guess BITR LOGB NR01 all used together 

Thank you, Davide DB.

Unfortunately, when I point my GoPro to the QR code, I get the message "QRCode non-GoPro".

Can it be that some codes only work with certain GoPro models like the 11 Mini ?

PXL_20230214_085820981.jpg

Just installed and tried on my GP11 Back and it works.

I used QRControl app to myphone.

The code itself is !MBITR=[value]

The value you choose can be from 2 to 200 (note, anything lower than 100 DECREASES quality and file size).

So, if you wanted to increase the bitrate to 150 mbits/s, the code would be !MBITR=150

If you use the QRControl app, just slide the top menu to "Extras" and then use the drop-down menu to select BITR.

You can choose to make the change permanent (until you change it) or leave it on the default. If you don't make it permanent, the camera will revert back to the default once you turn it off.

Reading here https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/extensions/

Log, bitrate and noise reduction should be used together. I tried 

oMNR01=10oMBITR=200oMLOGO="400"

Just copy and paste in the "add command" text area in the QRControl app or just select your preferred values form Extras menu and it will add the correct controls for you.

I got a 180Mb file flat color profile but very noisy. Maybe oMNR01=10 is too low. I think that for my use I will just increase the bitrate.

NR01=x - Noise Reduction control, which should be combined with the LOGB control. e.g. oMNR01=50 range 1-100, 100 being 100% active (default), so 1 is the noisest. When pushing the dynamic range of any camera, shadow details may be suppress by noise reduction. Increasing the logbase will enhance the shadows, but will also reveal noise reduction artifacts tuned for a different encoding curve (the more consumer friendly Rec709.)
You can back-off the noise reduction to restore shadow details, with the downside being a noiser image (protentially requiring noise reduction in post.)
Also a noiser image will need a higher-bitrate to store the additional information (so BITR, NR01 and LOGB are all related.)

59 minutes ago, MangoZoom said:

I might be wrong, but doesn`t the app mixes up LOGB and LOGO here or does LOGB really activates a small logo ?

Screenshot_20230214-132551.png

I think it's a huuuuuge bug 🙂

This is the explanation:

LOGB=logbase,offset - Super experimental, alter the log encoding for more dynamic range, or for a closer match with other camera’s log curves. i.e design your own flat profile. Ideal for use with 10-bit, and the existing flat color setting.
e.g. oMLOGB=400 for a little push in dynamic range or oMLOGB=200,-128 for a crude Fuji F-Log emulation.
Note: As the pixel size isn’t changing, that increasing the logbase (flatness) may not significantly increase the dynamic range.

You could try to enter it manually

I've just saw this video that shows very well what's going on with these settings.

Enable English subtitles and then it's straightforward.

NR01=1 effectively improve the image details but you are forced to use a denoiser (he uses Resolve temporal denoiser).

LOGB=400 doesn't add any improvement.

Just jump to 1'42"

1 hour ago, Davide DB said:

I've just saw this video that shows very well what's going on with these settings.

Enable English subtitles and then it's straightforward.

NR01=1 effectively improve the image details but you are forced to use a denoiser (he uses Resolve temporal denoiser).

LOGB=400 doesn't add any improvement.

Just jump to 1'42"

This guy only looked at "shadow" detail. To me the key issue is extended ability for capturing highlights, and his basically low contrast test scenes cannot test for that. LOGB=400,-128 definitely gives a flatter image than "Flat."

The main advantage of LOGB=400,-128 is that it approximates a known log gamma (Fuji Flog), making it easier to grade in DaVinci Resolve, which has a transform for Flog. There is no transform or LUT for GoPro's "Flat", so one is on own's own trying to convert it to some standard like REC709 or an HDR gamma.

The REC2020 color is also an approximation in the camera, but, again, it is a known color gamut that one has transforms for. GoPro "Native" is a wider gamut than REC709, but I do not know of any LUT or transform that converts it to a known standard gamut.

4 hours ago, markr041 said:

The main advantage of LOGB=400,-128 is that it approximates a known log gamma (Fuji Flog), making it easier to grade in DaVinci Resolve, which has a transform for Flog. There is no transform or LUT for GoPro's "Flat", so one is on own's own trying to convert it to some standard like REC709 or an HDR gamma.

Did you use NR01=1 along the custom Log? 

• 2 weeks later...

The GoPro Hero 11 already has the highest resolution 240 fps, at 2.7K of any camera. Almost all other cameras of any price limit 240 fps to 1080. 2.7K has twice the resolution of 1080.

DaVinci Resolve Studio has a feature that enables super scaling resolutions to higher values using AI. Going from 2.7K to 4K requires a doubling of resolution.

So, how does 2X superscaled 4K 240P look to get 8X slow motion? Here's a 4K test:

48 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The GoPro Hero 11 already has the highest resolution 240 fps, at 2.7K of any camera. Almost all other cameras of any price limit 240 fps to 1080. 2.7K has twice the resolution of 1080.

DaVinci Resolve Studio has a feature that enables super scaling resolutions to higher values using AI. Going from 2.7K to 4K requires a doubling of resolution.

So, how does 2X superscaled 4K 240P look to get 8X slow motion? Here's a 4K test:

The way 2.7K is derived from 5.5K sensor produces severe aliasing, and no AI superscaling can hide that.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, MangoZoom said:

Great video, Mark. Learning a lot from it. And thanks for pointing me to GoPro Labs, it`s a new world for me. What is the Labs code for REC2020 ?

for color: WIDE, with type 2020

But now Labs is saying the REC2020 approximation is not very good, and recommends not using it. So, maybe stick with the default (REC709). But I do find the Fuji gamma approximation to work well.

Back to 4K 120P for capturing motion: running while shooting skate boarders and keeping the camera steady with no gimbal or skateboard - the Ninja run!

Opening static shot of a subject in motion to show the setting, then off to the races. Part of a video to show activities in Washington Square Park, NYC in Winter.