Official announcement - Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is the flange distance too small between EF and F mount or is it that the mirror would get in the way (not an issue with C300)?

The fundamental problem is that the Speed Booster shrinks the vertex length of the lens (the distance from the front glass surface to the image plane).  So even if you could mount the SB optics inside the C300 EF mount you wouldn't be able to focus to infinity because the EF mount protrudes too far.  Even if you could design a focal reducer that maintained the vertex distance you would then have the problem of mounting the optics since an adapter approach wouldn't work (zero flange-to-flange distance).

• 2 months later...

So I'm on assignment here in California with my trusty A7S, shooting an arty surf-culture documentary.

I don't want rolling shutter so I'm shooting APSC, but I want full frame so I've stuck a speed booster ultra on it.

The reason I want full frame is because I'm after crazy-shallow DOF, so I've stuck a 50mm f1.2 on the speed booster and opened it right up.

Now I chose the A7S for this job because of its wide dynamic range (the skies here in CA are bright but the skin and the waves are dark!) so I need to shoot in S-LOG at 3200 ISO.

My question is this: does anyone know somewhere near Venice Beach I can source industrial quantities of welding glass?

So I'm on assignment here in California with my trusty A7S, shooting an arty surf-culture documentary.

[...]

My question is this: does anyone know somewhere near Venice Beach I can source industrial quantities of welding glass?

If you're looking for ND filters, you've got Hot Rod Cameras, Division Camera, and Samy's Camera nearby (Hollywood). If you've got (or know someone) who has Amazon Prime, you can probably get the ND you want overnight with $3.99 shipping. bhphoto has recently reduced shipping costs and doesn't charge tax (Amazon now charges tax depending on where the product is shipped from). 

More options: http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=photographystores&find_desc=&find_loc=Los+Angeles%2C+CA#

You can get this overnight for $3.99 shipping: http://www.amazon.com/77mm-3-0-1-000X-Single-Coating/dp/B003ZDHP7U/

"Its principal field of application is the observation and documentation of industrial processes with extreme brightness, such as steel furnaces, incinerators, glowing filaments in halogen- and other bulbs. The filter factor is 1000x."

That should be dark enough for ya :)

More info here: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/the-sony-a7s-4k-guide-part-four-filters-and-internal-recording/