What OG cams you got your eyes on going into 2023?

Ty Harper

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I just purchased a "heavily used" Canon 6D with 64k shutter count from mpb for $214. I was gifted $200 for Christmas so I figured "why not?"

Damn! That's an amazing bargain. 

Guess the Nikon equivalent would be a D700 or maybe a D600. 

Kinda want to get one myself. But nah, I'll just wait a few more years until a D750 or D500 hits that price instead! 😉 If they just drop another 50% or 75% then it will be possible. 

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Got myself a 5d mkii yesterday. @Tim Sewell I went to buy a 24-105 f4 in great condition. I picked that lens up personally from the seller. Before I texted him if he would sell his 5dii for cheaper, which he had on offer as well. He replied he would talk about it with me in person when i pick up the lens. Well, he sold the body to me for 150EU, 22000 clicks on the shutter only, like new condition! I thought to get the 24-105 for my Fs700 with a speedbooster. Now i also have this beautiful classic camera, the legendary 5dii at my hands. Immediate love. Something the S1 still doesn't do for me. Now i gonna get a nifty fifty 1.8 for no more than fifty. Gonna love some awesome Dslr photo fun. My first digital Dslr. My first Canon L lens. Love it!

Well done!

My current cam for video is a G9, which I love, but taking some pictures for a friend's daughter at her wedding celebration (she had a pro, this was extra) showed me that M43 just doesn't cut low light stills to a high enough standard; so I shelved plans to get another G9. I already have a full set of EF lenses, so Canon was a no-brainer, and my wife recently got a 5D mkiv, which I like. Didn't want to spend that kind of cash at this stage, however, and I reckon the mkii gets me 95% of the way there anyway. This was GBP290 with c35000 clicks, which isn't bad. I'm definitely liking the images so far, so once I get my first booking I'll pick up another (MPB - they've got loads!).

4 hours ago, mercer said:

The C200B is on sale at B&H right now. I think it's $2400. 

That is awesome. I mean who doesn’t want internal RAW, pro tools like waveform, SDI, internal ND?  In all seriousness though I’m pretty much sticking with my Nikon Z6 as the external 10 bit image is all I need and my money is better spent on lenses and lighting gear to give me more opportunities to advance my skill. But someday, maybe someday…

Despite moving on from Canon years ago I still have a hankering for a 1DC. I have absolutely no need or place for one but having used one a couple of times and still have some 4K Log footage stored, I look at it from time to time and it still impresses me. 

I'd still be interested to see how a Sigma 18-35mm would fair on it, I do remember once using it paired with a Speedbooster Ultra on a GH5S making it roughly 1.27x crop with a touch of vignetting in the corners. 1.3x in DCI 4K mode on the 1DC must be do-able then!

2 hours ago, Framed_By_Dan said:

Despite moving on from Canon years ago I still have a hankering for a 1DC. I have absolutely no need or place for one but having used one a couple of times and still have some 4K Log footage stored, I look at it from time to time and it still impresses me. 

I'd still be interested to see how a Sigma 18-35mm would fair on it, I do remember once using it paired with a Speedbooster Ultra on a GH5S making it roughly 1.27x crop with a touch of vignetting in the corners. 1.3x in DCI 4K mode on the 1DC must be do-able then!

Currently have a 1DC + extras up for sale if you're ever in the Toronto area, lol!

I got my 6D today and tested stills, video, and even ML raw a bit. The video is the typical mushy Canon 1080p, and the only continuous shooting for ML raw adds a 1.42 crop, nearly the same crop factor of the P4K with a .71 focal reducer with a much a worse workflow, so I won't be using that. But the stills are very nice and I'm excited to go out and shoot more. As much as I'n enjoying shooting film again, the cost can add up, so I don't want to go out and shoot casually much. So any camera that makes me want to shoot is always good. Here's a little self portrait I shot on the 6D:

IMG_7292-2.thumb.jpg.033b8fe8833d373c7e2ef02ec867d435.jpg

Color version:

IMG_7292-3.thumb.jpg.680ffa0a817b1ac6a489ec7b76f43843.jpg

And my heavy-handed attempt at an expired film/cross-processed look:

IMG_7285-2.thumb.jpg.c13759c08300170c9c1a0e99401abece.jpg

Plan on doing the same. Got a 5DII with 28.000 or so shutter count, exellent condition for 150Euro. Just looking at it gives me more joy than looking at my S1. I think it is time to part with the latter, keep the L-mount 24-105 just in case but using the 24-105 Canon L, which I got from the same seller for 300 Euro. Too bad I didnt grab his additional offer: nifty 50 1.8 plus the cool and infamous Canon 70 300 green ring for 100 Euro. Wondering how the latter would behave on a S5II regarding AF. Well nifty 50 for a start and some time later the Mattias Burling favorite, the 35mm F2 USM with image stabilization. Oldies but goldies.:)

43 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Plan on doing the same. Got a 5DII with 28.000 or so shutter count, exellent condition for 150Euro. Just looking at it gives me more joy than looking at my S1. I think it is time to part with the latter, keep the L-mount 24-105 just in case but using the 24-105 Canon L, which I got from the same seller for 300 Euro. Too bad I didnt grab his additional offer: nifty 50 1.8 plus the cool and infamous Canon 70 300 green ring for 100 Euro. Wondering how the latter would behave on a S5II regarding AF. Well nifty 50 for a start and some time later the Mattias Burling favorite, the 35mm F2 USM with image stabilization. Oldies but goldies.:)

Why don’t you go out and film with your Sony F3 😉 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, FHDcrew said:

That is awesome. I mean who doesn’t want internal RAW, pro tools like waveform, SDI, internal ND?  In all seriousness though I’m pretty much sticking with my Nikon Z6 as the external 10 bit image is all I need and my money is better spent on lenses and lighting gear to give me more opportunities to advance my skill. But someday, maybe someday…

I have enough crap lying around that I can rig out a C200B. Def thinking about picking one up. It seems the sensor noise performance in the shadows is the Achilles heel in this DGO era, but considering it’s so much cheaper than a C70, one can maybe put up with a Neat Video pass. I’ve seen a bit of a nasty horizontal banding in the red channel for night footage, not too bad but it’s there. Maybe that person forgot to do the black balance which is apparently pretty essential with this camera.

I have the Sigma fp and would say the s35 crop image is cleaner. But the fp is far from user friendly compared to the c200. Both have their place.

7 hours ago, Llaasseerr said:

Agreed! I went through a phase of wanting one, but I got talked down by an owner who said they loved it but moved on to an Alexa Classic.

I own the Classic. It definitely has the best image in the game in terms of color accuracy and dynamic range. It is also just an industry standard image wise, super hard to mess up in post.

I think the F35 has a more unique image though, almost film like. The Alexa does too but its a cleaner more neutral image. The F35 is also a bit less power hungry and a bit smaller, though possibly more awkward. 

Having simple 12 bit internal recording up to 60p and 120p 10 bit with no cropping is nice on the Alexa Classic though. No external recording required.