What OG cams you got your eyes on going into 2023?

Ty Harper

It's been said many times over the years on this forum that we are spoilt for camera options, but I feel like Apple's M1 line (particularly the Mac Mini) have opened up access to 4K and some RAW workflows that make alot of OG cams (like the 5D MKIII w/ ML) even more enticing if not necessarily practical.

Anyways, just curious what cams people are eyeing but haven't squeezed the trigger on for whatever reason.

These are mine so far...

(i) The Fujifilm XT3/4

- so small yet so powerful!

- last seen for about $800USD.

(ii) The Canon C300 MKII w/ the Atomos Shogun Inferno

- also too big for my tastes at this point but always liked the image altho at $3500K w/o the external recorder this puppy is still holding it's value pretty well

(iii) The OG Canon C500 w/ the Odyssey 7Q+ recorder

- it's a f*ckin monstrosity with no DPAF but still love the RAW image!

- last seen for about $1200USD (not including the Odyssey 7Q+).(iii)

(iv) The OG Canon R5

- yes too soon to be considered old but with the MKII on the way and prices starting to tumble below $3200K it is on my list of used cams to keep an eye on in 2023!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Always the Sigma FP or FP-L.

The problem is I am a minimalist...or as much as I can be and like a streamlined workflow.

At present, I am working with 4 camera bodies only 2 of which are identical, but next gen with L Mount will hopefully get me to my ideal 3.

So where would an FP fit in?

It doesn't, not into my work needs anyway, but maybe in '23 I can wrangle one for personal use...

Sony PMW-F5, they're crazy dirt cheap now, almost being given away. And if you're lucky enough to get one with an R5 (an R7 would be even nicer... but that's just impossible and living in a dreamland) then you've really got something special. And with storage now being so dirt cheap, why not? 

I run three 'older school' digital cameras and, a bit like my love for classic cars, continue to feel there's something quite magical in the aesthetic output that draws me away from upgrading to anything really new. I appreciate the performance markers that companies like BMD and Sony are putting down. Even appreciate the Panasonic loyalty to the MFT system (having previously owned a GH2 way back when) especially with the latest GH5ii, but when push comes to shove I always revert back to my first 'film' camera the BMPCC OG. With a full set of SLR Magic Hyperprimes, Anamorphot 50 x2, 82mm ND filters across the full range 1 to 10, SLRM diopters, VND, and full caged rig to Atomos Ninja V, its about as perfect an MFT package for the OG as you'll find anywhere. With such great software tech available for upscaling, noise reduction, and sharpness enhancement there's very little this setup can't do filmically. It's a joy to use, and the output is beautiful. Now add in, to that, a full package for the Sony F5 (again to Atomos but with an SDI module, the AtomX), I have a full 16 bit RAW signal for absolutely high-end movie-grade visuals in 4K. Paired with a full set of Veydra Primes, with a T2.2 max aperture, and the visuals are sublime. The odd fish in my collection is the last camera, again not brand new, and a little forgotten, the A6500 from Sony. I've used this camera alongside the FX3 on film shoots and it holds up extremely well against its newer and much more capable stablemate. When used as a B cam with the A7S2 its output was even more comparable. A cracking little hybrid that performs brilliantly in low light, it is as comfortable shooting 4K movies as it is in taking high resolution stills with its 24mp sensor. The only negative for me is that it only records in 8 bit, precisely half of the much older, but more specifically movie focused F5. But Resolve 17 is a beast of a piece of software and a deft hand in grading can bring amazing results even from a cameras the size of a slice of crispbread. so, for now, at least, I feel I have an inventory that allows me great creative freedom, and real high end performance, regardless of which system I choose to put under the spotlight. More money, and newer tech doesn't always mean better quality.

@IronFilm Won´t give you a like for your post to not be part of the exitement which pushes prices up again for this gem. Well, guess you do get one from me. Shhh.:)

I treated myself with a BMPCC OG. Planning on using it as a fun cinema verité camera. Came with an old battery but otherwise like brandnew and accompanied by the pretty Lumix 20mm 1.7 MK2, all for 250 EUR!!

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I treated myself with a BMPCC OG. Planning on using it as a fun cinema verité camera. Came with an old battery but otherwise like brandnew and accompanied by the pretty Lumix 20mm 1.7 MK2, all for 250 EUR!!

Nice! I may get another one myself...my original BMPCC is starting to show signs of age and it shuts down whenever I try using it with my Panasonic 12-35 lens; works fine with all-manual lenses, which is mainly what I use, but the 12-35 is versatile and has image stabilization; I miss being able to use it.

On 12/20/2022 at 3:56 AM, Matt Kieley said:

Many times I've considered the original A7S or the Fuji XT3, and since I've gotten back into still photography, I'm thinking about them again for stills/video

I actually got a used A7s in near-mint condition a couple of weeks ago, but not for video; I am using it for stills only. I currently use an A7iii (also only for stills, I don't shoot video with Sony) and the A7s feels like a step backward in many ways but it's smaller and lighter, which I like. I heard from multiple photographers that there's something special about the combination of the A7s and vintage lenses (which is almost all I shoot with), but I'm not seeing it; I've used all my lenses on the A7s now and honestly can't see any differences between it and what I'm getting from my A7iii. The files are lower resolution and smaller, of course, but in terms of image quality, rendering, etc., they seem identical to the A7iii. To do a controlled test would require setting up a tripod and changing out the cameras using the same lens shooting the same subject in the same light, but if there are differences they must be pretty subtle.

The A7s is less customizable, has an even more primitive menu system than the A7iii, has no IBIS (which isn't an issue for me but would be for some people), and the battery life is about half that of the A7iii even with higher-capacity third-party batteries from Wasabi or Neewer. The EVF is worse than that in the A7iii and the refresh rate is noticeably slower. I see jello if I move the camera while looking through the EVF.

It's a good camera and I'll keep it, but I probably would have been happier with an A7c or another A7iii as my second camera.

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

It's a good camera and I'll keep it, but I probably would have been happier with an A7c or another A7iii as my second camera.

Thanks. I've been leaning more toward the Fuji XT3 and will probably get that. Based on other peoples' examples it seems to have a more pleasing image quality, to me, for stills and video.

Want to get another GX85 for photography, using two of them, one with a wide angle and the other one with a tele lens. They are still not dirt cheap though. I snapped a GH4 a few weeks ago with nine c-mount primes, three c-mount zooms, a pretty good cheap tripod, adapters, a 64GB SD and the super nice and small 14mm Pana pancake lens. All for 400EUR. I call that a steal! Now I can test, if it has the same fun colour response in grading as my beloved G6 had but with its might 100 and 200mbit codecs! A great credo which @Mattias Burling also used to stand up for on this forum: oldies are sometimes goldies.

Would love to see some video goodnes from the A7s 50mbit codec though @bjohn 🙂

The 5d3, EOS M - for ML, and the Blackmagic Micro (massive thread on this forum) are the only OG's on my radar. I just don't have any EF or m43 lenses. Being all Sony has its drawbacks LOL! Don't have CF cards for the 5d3 either. But those three are at the top of my list. With the obnoxious prices for the BM Micro, the EOS M is probably my tinker cam of choice.

Cheers

Chris

Forgot about the c100 mkII as well - DPAF, ND's, Clog, XLR audio, 60p and so on. When prices hit $500 or so, I'll give it a look. 1080p is plenty for social and most deliverables. But everything is just so easy with the a7sIII, I haven't given many video cameras a second look in a couple years. I'm always thinking the grass is greener with the BM Micro. So many cool options, I just don't like having a lot of gear sitting around that doesn't get used. 

Chris

21 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm always thinking the grass is greener with the BM Micro.

I think your biggest challenge with the Micro would be finding SD cards that work. There are a few; the cheap Kingston ones have worked for many people but mine only lasted a year; I then spent the big bucks on two Angelbird 128 gig cards and those have been rock-solid reliable so far. I also have a stash of the original Sandisk cards that were approved for this camera but there's always the worry of what to do when cards start to fail. At that point I'd switch to an external monitor/recorder and just shoot ProRes.

On 12/29/2022 at 5:32 PM, bjohn said:

I think your biggest challenge with the Micro would be finding SD cards that work. There are a few; the cheap Kingston ones have worked for many people but mine only lasted a year; I then spent the big bucks on two Angelbird 128 gig cards and those have been rock-solid reliable so far. I also have a stash of the original Sandisk cards that were approved for this camera but there's always the worry of what to do when cards start to fail. At that point I'd switch to an external monitor/recorder and just shoot ProRes.

I have a Ninja V that sees almost no use. The BMMCC would at least give it some life. 😂 Given the need to rig the camera a bit because of the battery, it really doesn’t matter much beyond that to me since the Ninja on a top handle isn’t cumbersome with other rig bits. Still kicking myself for a missed auction back in fall 2021 that closed under $500 with a couple m43 lenses, full cage setup and a ton of accessories. A perfect starter kit. Grrr. 

cheers

chris

Got myself a 5d mkii yesterday. @Tim Sewell I went to buy a 24-105 f4 in great condition. I picked that lens up personally from the seller. Before I texted him if he would sell his 5dii for cheaper, which he had on offer as well. He replied he would talk about it with me in person when i pick up the lens. Well, he sold the body to me for 150EU, 22000 clicks on the shutter only, like new condition! I thought to get the 24-105 for my Fs700 with a speedbooster. Now i also have this beautiful classic camera, the legendary 5dii at my hands. Immediate love. Something the S1 still doesn't do for me. Now i gonna get a nifty fifty 1.8 for no more than fifty. Gonna love some awesome Dslr photo fun. My first digital Dslr. My first Canon L lens. Love it!