Panasonic LX100 with 4/3 sensor and 4k video

hoodlum

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well it turns out to be a FT sensor with a ~2.2x crop (at 3:2 ratio), so in theory it lens only need to be around 22% bigger than the ones in the RX100m3, which is not too hard to imagine considering the 55mm depth of the LX100 (vs 41mm of the RX100m3).

I don't know about that. If you look at this page
http://m.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100
The 16:9 ratio uses the full width of the sensor, which I would assume means the normal 2x ratio? Unless you're talking about 4k?

No, not the full width but just a little less according to the dpreview chart. It's probably the same 16mp sensor from the GX7 which is 4592 x 3448 pixels.

The 16:9 crop is 4480 x 2520 which gives a sensor area of 16.87mm x 9.5mm which is a 2.13x crop.

The 3:2 crop is 4272 x 2856 which gives a sensor area of 16.09mm x 10.77mm which is a 2.23x crop.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What's a multi-aspect sensor? Can't get my head around it. Isn't this a micro-four-thirds sensor and the lens has to cover that area? Is it a smaller sensor? Parts unused? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So it's designed for a smaller format + it's huge anyway. Makes more sense now but still impressive, it has the ability to collapse fairly neatly 

LX100_31.jpg?v=2956

that multi-aspect thing, why not use the entire sensor and crop from there to any aspect ratio instead of only using a smaller portion? I still don't get it. Is there a mode where I can use the entire sensor? 

Yehi don't get that either. What's the difference between cropping and changing aspect?

Still amazed this camera does 4k btw. I have been intrigued by the feature but due to my budget always felt it was too out of reach for me to care much. Its like that scandisk announcement of 512gb in an SD card. Or the power of the ps4 in a smaller body than the ps3. Now the engine of the gh4 in a compact. How do they do it?!

I have to say, it looks pretty sweet to me.

IjeXbvj.jpg

I also like the oldschool shutterdial.

About the multi-aspect. The image circle a lens produces isn't squared. So if you go any rectangular shape, you're already throwing away information of that image circle. Now, if you have a multi aspect ratio sensor, it extends quite a bit to capture that image circle. So you can opt e.g. to capture 16:9 and it uses the pixels that covers the sensor's width. If you want a 4:3 image, previously you'd crop out the sides of the 16:9 image, again throwing away stuff. If you have a multi aspect 4:3 sensor, you use the full image circle 4:3 aspect, instead of cropping 4:3 from a 16:9. There's a difference.

P.S. The GM5 looks pretty cool too. But... I thought they skipped the 4K because it was rumored to have the GX7's built-in stabilization, however... I don't come across any such feature...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Note: the design is gorgeous. Very very handsome looking camera in an age of cameras looking like igly little computers.

-About the multi-aspect: why would any other option than giving the entire sensor pixels be better?

Can't get the dpreview explanation either.

Note: the design is gorgeous. Very very handsome looking camera in an age of cameras looking like igly little computers.

-About the multi-aspect: why would any other option than giving the entire sensor pixels be better?

Can't get the dpreview explanation either.

1. Who cares?

2. One step less in post (cropping)

3. Maybe there is a difference for electronics if it reads less pixels (max frame rate, battery life...)

4. Who cares?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

1. Who cares?
2. One step less in post (cropping)
3. Maybe there is a difference for electronics if it reads less pixels (max frame rate, battery life...)
4. Who cares?

of course it can be done in-camera without post.

Best looking camera of the year so far. Going to appeal to a lot of X100 users, especially those let down by Fuji on the video side.

Can You please ask them at Photokina what is the maximum 4k bit rate (have seen 100Mbps somewhere) and max recording time?

Looks awesome! Mini GH4 with excellent zoom for half the price.. where is the catch?

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.specs.html
100mbps for 4k. 24mbps (avchd) for HD or 28 for 60p.

Also 16:9 4k is slightly cropped to equivalent 26-81 as opposed to 24-75 for HD and photo modes. The actual focal length of the lens is 10.9-34, which means the crop factor is indeed 2.2x. Somewhat disappointing I must say but not a deal breaker. Other things not included: timelapse mode, bounce flash, tilt screen, mic input, headphone output (unless by HDMI I suppose), region switch ability.

However you do get a pro sized viewfinder, 4k video and a lens comparable to the 12-35mm but longer, all for a similar price as the gx7 body last year.

This camera could probably achieve a lot of requirements for shooting personal projects and some professional stuff. The only thing this camera doesn't achieve really is super shallow dof. For that you will need to keep an ILC.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.specs.html
100mbps for 4k. 24mbps (avchd) for HD or 28 for 60p.

Also 16:9 4k is slightly cropped to equivalent 26-81 as opposed to 24-75 for HD and photo modes. The actual focal length of the lens is 10.9-34, which means the crop factor is indeed 2.2x. Somewhat disappointing I must say but not a deal breaker.

The same crop as GH4 but with incredible stabilized lens (show me small stabilized 11mm/1.7 lens for GH4, not to mention such zoom). Awesome I would say, not disappointing :)