Panasonic LX100 with 4/3 sensor and 4k video

hoodlum

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Eh... LX1000 ≠ LX8 ≠ GM2.

I believe it was the LX8 that was rumored with f/2-f/2.8. The LX8 is supposed to be an 1"-sensor type premium compact camera, to rival the RX100M3, offering a built-in EVF for example.

The GM2 is supposed to be a 'regular' interchangeable lens camera with M43-sensor. Probably will also come with (an updated?) 12-32mm lens. The body is rumored to as well feature a built-in EVF and there's also some talk about built-in stabilization? So it kinda fits in somewhere between the current GM1 and the GX7.

The LX1000 is something of a whole different kind. It doesn't feature a 1"-sensor, so it's M43rds. But, it would be the first one with that very sensortype to sport a fixed zoomlens, so nothing interchangeable. This could very well try to conquer a piece of the market where people now would buy something like the Canon G1 X mkII, Fuji X100(/S) or even the Nikon RX1(/R).

And supposedly all of Panasonic's new serious cameras in 2014 will have 4K video modes... so there's that.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It doesn't make much sense in the current line-up. A fixed-lens m34?

A micro four thirds sensor is quite big. Any general-purpose zoom lens for it will be quite substantial. This camera will have to:
-Have a very slow lens, with a decent range
-Have a fast lens, with a very limited range
-Be a very big compact camera.

If it were up to me I would go with the Rx1 route, i.e, a very fast 35mm equivalent prime, in a very compact form, but then you can achieve the same combination with the GM1/2 and have interchangeable lens options.

Again, doesn't really make sense. It will have to have something pretty special.

I think the LX100 is the name for the LX7 replacement.  The assumption was that the LX7 replacement would have a 1" sensor like the FZ100 but this rumor form June said otherwise.  

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-lx8-comes-with-same-1-inch-sensor-as-the-fz1000-specs-roundup/

UPDATE: There was a miscomunictaion between a source and me. The new LX8 will not feature the same 1 inch sensor of the FZ1000!!!! It will be very “differentâ€.

Thee are the specs I got so far from another source:
- 24-90mm f/2.0-2.8 Leica lens
3% larger than the LX7
- Swivel touch screen with touch to focus and capture features
- Updated processing engine enhancing JPEG output
- built in EVF and no hotshoe (just like the Sony RX100m3).
- Automatic Lenscap
- built-in 3 stop ND filter
- 4K recording

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest rumored specs.

- Sensor: 16MP Multi aspect Four Thirds(!). Real resolution is a bit lower.
- 24-75mm f/1.7-2.8 lens
- Built-in EVF: 2.8 megapixel with 1.39x / 0.7x magnification
- ISO 200-25600. Can be extended down to 100!
- 4K recording (with time limitation to avoid heating issue)

- exact camera size: 4.52″ x 2.6″ x 2.4″

Exciting specs. Wonder what the price will be. B & H has the 12-35 f2.8 on backorder and listed at $997.99. This lens will be faster and offer a little more reach. If they price it at or around $1,000 you'd think the 12-35 sales would dry up overnight. Still, I'm gonna guess $1,199 retail, assuming those specs are correct.

Those rumor sites are worse than useless.  Didn't they say there was going to be a Panasonic Lumix LX8 4K m4/3 announcement in mid July?  I was actually watching those sites and waiting to see what Panasonic was going to do next.  Glad Blackmagic ended my wait.  We are in September and still nothing from Panasonic.  My answer is I will believe it when I see it.

Here are the latest rumored specs.

- Sensor: 16MP Multi aspect Four Thirds(!). Real resolution is a bit lower.
- 24-75mm f/1.7-2.8 lens
- 4K recording (with time limitation to avoid heating issue)

If these rumors are correct and latest 850 euro price rumor..

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-lx100-costs-845e-its-going-to-be-the-best-fixed-lens-compact-ever-made/

It will be fantastic!

Only hope the lens has stabilization and filter thread. No more wishes.

Can someone please explain me how it is possible to design a camera with lens attached, pocketable with 4/3 sensor and 24-75mm 1.7-2.8 lens ? I mean physically speaking. 

The panasonic 12-35mm (24-70mm 2.8) has less reach and smaller aperture, and it is really big. How can u make more reach, bigger aperture for the SAME sensor, but pocketable ? It sounds impossible .... 

looks more like a 1" sensor... 

Plus, let me know how can you make a pocketable GH4 + a 12-35mm for 3 times less the price at 850 euros... 

I guess we are dreaming ;)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's physically impossible for the lens to be 24-75mm f1.7-2-8 and cover a m43s sensor. This lens spec is exactly suitable for a 1" sensor. Like Sony's 24-70mm 1.8-2.8 on the 1" rx100 and Canon upcomming 24-100mm f1.8-2.8 on the 1" G7x

this will be a 1" sensor camera, or if m43s, have a different lens (much shorter reach or, much higher f/no)

Official info from ThePhoBlographer

Tech Specs
Gx7 sensor with a micro four third sensor
Engine as the GH4
4k video
24 to 75 f1.7 to 2.8
Power ois
11fps shooting
30p and 24p video
Gx7 EVF
NFC
Raw processing in camera
Wifi
Focus Peaking
Multiple aspect ratios
No mode dial
Aspect ratio switch on top of lens
Leaf shutter
Two ED lenses
Flash bundled with the camera
Leather case
DFD tech for contrast AF
Price is around $8

Read more at http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/09/15/first-impressions-panasonic-lx100/#VpSRwqLhGwuiBsKq.99

Wow!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Ha? A pancake 24-75mm F/1.7-2.8 covering a full m43s sensor? 

Panasonic's 24-70mm f/2.8 is shorter in focal length, narrower in aperture, yet they found a way to make this a pancake, and 200$ less, and give you a camera bundled for free? o.O

A 11-35mm f/1.7-2.8mm should fall in size between these two, larger than a 12-35 2.8 and smaller than a 24-70 2.8. 

Panasonic-12-35mm-Tamron-24-70mm.jpg

Something's off. Either the sensor is smaller or that lens is a breaking technological achievement. 

Ha? A pancake 24-75mm F/1.7-2.8 covering a full m43s sensor?
Panasonic's 24-70mm f/2.8 is shorter in focal length, narrower in aperture, yet they found a way to make this a pancake, and 200$ less, and give you a camera bundled for free? o.O
A 11-35mm f/1.7-2.8mm should fall in size between these two, larger than a 12-35 2.8 and smaller than a 24-70 2.8. Panasonic-12-35mm-Tamron-24-70mm.jpg
Something's off. Either the sensor is smaller or that lens is a breaking technological achievement.

A bit of both, it's multi aspect, so full sensor isn't covered, but also advances in lens design. Dpreview:

"The first thing that went through my mind was 'how on earth did they pull that off?'. The answer: major advances in lens design.

http://***URL removed***/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100/5