Introducing Rectilux FF Single Focus Adapters (Rectilux 5FF, Rectilux 7FF & Rectilux 9FF Announced)

JohnBarlow

Rudolf, 

The special quality of Moller is there to be seen. Incidentally, I contacted Moller Wedel about two years ago, maybe 3 or 4 times by email, to discuss the expired patents on their old products, but I never got a response.

I was thinking of remaking them, with their blessing of course. Maybe a bit bigger for faster taking lenses. I could separate the glass in one but I hate to butcher vintage lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Rudolf, 

The special quality of Moller is there to be seen. Incidentally, I contacted Moller Wedel about two years ago, maybe 3 or 4 times by email, to discuss the expired patents on their old products, but I never got a response.

I was thinking of remaking them, with their blessing of course. Maybe a bit bigger for faster taking lenses. I could separate the glass in one but I hate to butcher vintage lenses.

​Before doing so - and potentially killing a priceless relic, be aware that it's likely the glass they used in the design is no longer produced and thus the radii of the glass will need to be changed anyway.  If manufacturing a new anamorphic all together you'd be better off designing around current glass types with similar indexes for the specific goal of a larger sensor rather than a 8mm frame.  Get a list of the in stock glass your plant have otherwise I might find your moller is killed for no reason.  The FF38 and TRUMP38 optics needed some of the most expensive and hard to source glass and since so much time was put into an uncompromising design I had to go with it in the end, resulting in crippling material costs.  Since it's now done, I'm ok, but I recon the process aged me 10years in 6 months.  Design around available glass rather than the other way round.  It'll save you so much.

Incidentally, I contacted Moller Wedel about two years ago, maybe 3 or 4 times by email, to discuss the expired patents on their old products, but I never got a response.

I live 20 minutes from Möller Wedel (that is nearby Hamburg). Maybe I take my racingbike for a spin and ask them about it... I know a camera guy who is specializiad on old

Olympus and I recall he knew the doughter from Möller. Will you send me a Rectilux if I send you the patent?:D

It is kinda funny Möller as well as Isco/Schneider really dont't care about their older products. Isco have trashed all their Iscorama bits and parts and adapter rings. I had a call and

asked for something some time ago. Luckily Heliopan helped me out. Great little company!

I absolutely agree: Butchering old beautiful things like lenses, cars, bikes... is bad and upsetting!

I live 20 minutes from Möller Wedel (that is nearby Hamburg). Maybe I take my racingbike for a spin and ask them about it... I know a camera guy who is specializiad on old

Olympus and I recall he knew the doughter from Möller. Will you send me a Rectilux if I send you the patent?:D

It is kinda funny Möller as well as Isco/Schneider really dont't care about their older products. Isco have trashed all their Iscorama bits and parts and adapter rings. I had a call and

asked for something some time ago. Luckily Heliopan helped me out. Great little company!

I absolutely agree: Butchering old beautiful things like lenses, cars, bikes... is bad and upsetting!

​Hi Rudolf,

If you can swing it and at least get the Patent reference numbers that would be great, actual documents would be Faboo!

Here we have a superimposed 2D cartoon/xray section of the inside of Rectilux 3FF-W, Rectilux 3FF-S is similar.

The point of showing this, is that 3FF series come with quick change coupling rings that when fixed to the scopes allow easy screw in at the mating thread 1 and also further supported at the rear 2 by three bolts which pass through the casing , through the rear coupling ring and onto the scope. This guarantees <0.1mm centricity with the optical axis, every time you swap over scopes for different looks. A simple yet nevertheless elegant engineering solution...

XRAY.jpg

​Hi Rudolf,

If you can swing it and at least get the Patent reference numbers that would be great, actual documents would be Faboo!

​John, I promise I will try for sure and do my best. The Moeller headquarter is as I mentioned on my usual cycling route but I am cycling right now (only indoors). But as soon as it gets warmer I'll have a visit. Or maybe I try it by phone first to make an appointment :)

I am looking very forward for the tests of the rectilux and hopefully owning one togehter with my Moellers. If I had more cash I would have ordered one already but unfortunately I have spent too much on my hobbies.

​John, I promise I will try for sure and do my best. The Moeller headquarter is as I mentioned on my usual cycling route but I am cycling right now (only indoors). But as soon as it gets warmer I'll have a visit. Or maybe I try it by phone first to make an appointment :)

I am looking very forward for the tests of the rectilux and hopefully owning one togehter with my Moellers. If I had more cash I would have ordered one already but unfortunately I have spent too much on my hobbies.

​Rudolf agreed, the weather in N. Europe is miserable at the moment.

Best to wait for the sunshine :)

• 2 weeks later...

FLOATING ZONE FOCUS EXPLAINED
Nikon calls this Close Range Correction and Canon calls it Floating Element, so for the sake of accuracy Rectilux calls it Floating Zone Focus.

Back in the day, when lenses were focused by moving the whole cell forward and back from the film plane, it was noticed that when close focused, the image quality suffered. For example, it is usually found that say a vintage 135mm lens would typically be limited to 1.5m close focus for this reason.

Nikon found that by shuffling the distance between lens elements, using a mechanical cam system that they could tighten up the dispersion of the imaging rays to give much improved close focusing capability. Rectilux does the same thing but manually as detailed below.

As you know Rectilux 3FF-W will focus from 0.6m to infinity when the anamorphic and taking lenses are simultaneously set to infinity.

Call this configuration ‘INF-INF’

Now say you are on set and the shot list says you don’t need to focus on anything beyond 5m. Just set your anamorphic and taking lenses simultaneously to 5m. Call this configuration ‘5-5’. Thus 5m is the new infinity and means that you can shoot from 5m down to much closer than 0.6m (I will leave you to do the calculation) and the close shots will be much crisper than the configuration ‘INF-INF’. Of course the whole stroke is available to you, so much precise focus is easily obtained.

Now say you have a romantic candlelit dinner scene. You want lots of bokeh and also want to use it to blot out background distractions. Storyboard calls for reverse head shots and you tell your AC to configure Rectilux to ‘2-2’, meaning set the anamorphic and taking lenses simultaneously to 2m, so now 2m is the new infinity and gives you very close focus capability, so that when the guy proposes and puts the engagement ring on his GFs finger you are there to scoop it up, filling the frame with this shot.

I suspect now you will come to realise the additional advantage of the quick change system, enabling you or your AC, to quickly remove the scope and set it to the desired ‘X-X’ configuration and put it back ready to shoot.

MAXIMUM OVER-LOL Cosimo!

I don't post here (this thread) because I don't want to promote John's blatant pokes at getting more people to view this thread. Reminds me of my days on bungie.net where people would bump posts 10-15 times with "relevant" information.

But that last post. maximum overlelz. Pro admin is pro.

• Administrators

Cosimo - no trolling of this thread.

John - no blatant advertising and hype.

This is the final warning for the pair of you. It's dragging the atmosphere on the forum into the gutter. If you carry on, either of you, then I will just wash my hands of you both in the control panel and delete everything.