Introducing Rectilux FF Single Focus Adapters (Rectilux 5FF, Rectilux 7FF & Rectilux 9FF Announced)

JohnBarlow

This thread is dedicated to the discussion and testing of Rectilux FF single focus CinemaScope adapters

For product specification, pricing, availability and business matters please visit my web site below as a matter of courtesy to our host.

The vintage look digitally remastered...    revisioneered

I have a vimeo channel set up for the tests here:

hxxps://vimeo.com/channels/rectilux              (passwords are on the web site)

I also have a flickr account set up to view stills, which is the best way to evaluate sharpness etc

www.flickr.com/photos/125986580@N05/sets/72157646313357302/

I will shortly have a blog up and running, but you are very welcome to discuss these breakthough products here.

Blog now set up at

3ffpic09.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok John, I saw it.

Looks amazing. You know I have also the moller 32x. 

I wanted to check sharpness with your single focus system. My reference is my own footage in 3.55 aspect ratio.

Your rectilux perform fantastic.

If I were in England I would like to try it for sure....

I know you are busy...but I would like to see some more footage in a tripod with rack focus , maybe in some more "cinematic condition" and also would like to see bokeh...I'll be patience :-)

I know your target is more standard 2.41 aspect ,but I'm sure there be more people also who will be fascinating with 3.55 single focus system.

Best!

Hi Francisco,

I am pleased you like it. You are the 2X Moller expert (hear my train a'comin'), so it brings a smile to hear you say these nice things.

I will be posting more testing parts on the Rectilux channel, and I will show close focus with zoom (stunning!),focus pulls, follow focusing, lots of flares and of course big bokeh. I know you will not be disappointed. :)

I also will include some 32:9 as you said you like this super wide format.

In England the nights are getting darker quickly now, so I will be able to shoot some night-time footage also.

Any questions you may have I will be pleased to answer them.

If you want to shoot a short in London let me know.

Stay tuned. :)

best

Oh I nearly forgot to tell you that the beautiful colour tone seems to be a result of using gold filter ND optical glass.

I got mine here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110676899420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 62mm size is a perfect match to the Rectilux 3FF and the gold filtration has in my opinion a pleasing effect on the imagery, even though the listing says there is no effect on colour balance - there is - but it is very nice.

Yes he did, I don't know the specifics but I have been in contact with him for months about this. It is old anamorphic lenses with new custom made optics that allow for single focus. I believe it is somewhat similar to a Isco where you have the anamorphic block fixed for infinity focus and then a variable power diopter in front, you set your taking lens to infinity and focus with the adapter. Although I believe the optics are different but the concept is probably similar.

This one works the same way but I believe that the this adapter is not fixed at infinity focus so you can get closer focus. Set the focus on the lens and anamorphic block to infinity and focus with the new focusing system and you can focus infinity to say 2 meters. Set the anamorphic block and taking lens to 2 meters now you can focus from 2 meters to 1 meter. 

This is somewhat speculation on my part from my conversations about this lens in the past, the website so far has not been super clear to me on exactly how it works but I am sure John will pop in here soon and clear things up. Over all it looks like a very high quality and very flexible option.

Is it single focus really, and if so how is that achieved?

Hi Cal,

Yes sir, it really really really is single focus, its the real thing. You can pull focus, follow focus and get in really close. Furthermore you can use a zoom as well as your favourite prime glass.

Its not only that of course - its CinemaScope just like the movies and it is a professional tool with minimum focus of 0.65m (thats 2ft imperial), no dioptres required, focus throw of 195 degrees, comes with a Steam Punk support rig for 15mm rails and works with prime lenses and zooms in the range 50mm to 200mm and it weighs just 500g (just over 1lb imperial). The mumps are almost undetectable.

It is not just a conversion - it is a completely custom developed optical prescription using vintage scopes. The vintage look digitally remastered through a process I call Revisioneering.

It is laid out here

transferconvert.co.uk/cinemania/rectilux-3ff.html

how do you make a duel focus adaptor into single focus ?

Have you added new elements to it ?

who made the new elements?

I cant give out too much information as I have to protect my IPR, but yes there is a multi-element focusing front end which performs all the magic. Supplier information on optics and precision metal fabrication is sensitive business information.

3ffpic04.jpg

However if you fancy a trip down the East Lancs Road, we could meet up at the Hard Days Night for a pint and you could try it out with your GH4 and shoot some amazing scope if the weather is good. PM me if you want to set this up.

Dont forget your wallet :)

Yes he did, I don't know the specifics but I have been in contact with him for months about this. It is old anamorphic lenses with new custom made optics that allow for single focus. I believe it is somewhat similar to a Isco where you have the anamorphic block fixed for infinity focus and then a variable power diopter in front, you set your taking lens to infinity and focus with the adapter. Although I believe the optics are different but the concept is probably similar.

This one works the same way but I believe that the this adapter is not fixed at infinity focus so you can get closer focus. Set the focus on the lens and anamorphic block to infinity and focus with the new focusing system and you can focus infinity to say 2 meters. Set the anamorphic block and taking lens to 2 meters now you can focus from 2 meters to 1 meter. 

This is somewhat speculation on my part from my conversations about this lens in the past, the website so far has not been super clear to me on exactly how it works but I am sure John will pop in here soon and clear things up. Over all it looks like a very high quality and very flexible option.

Many thanks - you know too much already- the black helicopters are heading your way  haha :)

All joking aside, I must distance myself from any comparison to the ISCO solution to either be hunted down by the patent attorneys or offered a job. This is my own work, my IPR and custom recipe, developed through countless iterations optimising merit function and solves for a wide range of projection CinemaScope lenses (yes even the gold and red ones ;))

This project is the culmination of over two years hard work. In fact I offered Andrew Chan (SLRM), this concept on a plate in this thread

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4466/most-wanted-anamorphic-lens/p20

albeit a very simplified version for concept purposes only, but he turned his nose up on it.

So here we are, the holy grail with Floating Zone Focus (Nikon calls this Close Range Correction, Canon calls it Floating elements I believe).

For an Iscorama to get to 0.65m it would require four whole turns of the focus unit and the helicoid would have to be extremely well made to maintain centricity at such a long reach.

When you own a Rectilux 3FF you will also get excellent service and support as well as priority access to future add-ons such as a 4 waypoint storeable motorized follow focus unit and a super slow cranked zoom mechanism. More on this later....

There will be more tests on the Rectilux channel on Vimeo. Stay tuned

best,

John

I wasnt asking for your supplier etc I have no intention of ever making lenses !! thats not what I do...

- Im just curious as it a serious bit of engineering / design if you have added new elements and focus mechanism - nice one John !

you should be flogging these to serious indie directors and film companies

and yes one of the tests will be a shootout with IscoRama 1968,

keep watching ;)

Nice project John.  Though i am a bit hesitant to believe your focus system is miles away from the patented Isco system... :ph34r:

Your stills look pretty good, but the video sample doesnt seem to show very much of that anamorphic quality we all want due to the fact that the shots dont seem to show any shallow dof or any proper focus pulls.  What aperture was your zoom set to?  I was surprised that even at 70-200 there was little infocus/defocus separation.  If I went out with my nex5n, a 135mm f4 and an iscorama the depth of field would be razor thin compared to what i am seeing here.

When you put these rather costly and heavy £3000 units up against a smaller, more compact £2000 iscorama36, (or £3000 vandiemen rehoused version!), be sure to show the capabilities between the two on full frame, with an 85mm f1.4 wide open.  This is the only way you'll be able to properly show the capabilities against the benchmark 'rama, which will deliver sterling results even wide open!.  

I love the look from 2x anamorphics but I think the main issue your anamorphics will struggle with when being put up against an iscorama 1.5x is the loss of resolution from having to crop away so much from the sides.  I believe selecting a higher spec Kowa 35 (1.5 or 1.75) would have been a better choice for usability in our current climate where resolution is very important.  Very few people have access to budgets to rent an Alexa Studio with its 4 perf sensor.  

I wasnt asking for your supplier etc I have no intention of ever making lenses !! thats not what I do...

- Im just curious as it a serious bit of engineering / design if you have added new elements and focus mechanism - nice one John !

you should be flogging these to serious indie directors and film companies

If you read it that way, then my apologies.

However my offer to meet up still stands if you can find the time.