Officially announced - Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds and Panasonic GH4

Andrew Reid

Hey i just got my Speedbooster yesterday and the "Sigma 18-35mm f1.8" works just fine but the "Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM" seems to have a problem.
The Maximum Aperture still is f/1.4 when it should be 1.0 or am i wrong?
I read on their website that some Zoom Lenses might need registration for maximum aperture, maybe this one as well even if its a prime?
Or is it just not fully supported?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just bought the Metabones EF to E mount for my A7s. What a disappointment. While it's solid to from mount to camera, the EF lens to mount connection is far too loose and jiggly for prime time. While it may not seem a big deal to most, if you plan to use a follow focus or wireless FF, you will notice the play. For a mount that costs 299.00, this amount of play is unacceptable. Fine for Fotodiox. Why can't Metabones get this right?

Just received my EF - M43 Speedbooster and I cant check it out with my GH4 as that's currently out on a shoot , but I did check it with the Black Magic Pocket CInema Camera BMPCC.

the Fit is REALLY tight on the BMPCC. Tried it with the 70-200mm F/2.8 II and its great. even at 200mm I can hold it handheld and get really decent stabilisation. Turn IS off and its a dreadfull.

Will be another few days before my GH4 is returned so will be keen to see what the fit is like onto that.

Can anyone tell me what the other little lever is on the side of the speedbooster ?

Hey i just got my Speedbooster yesterday and the "Sigma 18-35mm f1.8" works just fine but the "Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM" seems to have a problem.
The Maximum Aperture still is f/1.4 when it should be 1.0 or am i wrong?
I read on their website that some Zoom Lenses might need registration for maximum aperture, maybe this one as well even if its a prime?
Or is it just not fully supported?

Your Sigma 30mm f1.4 is always a f1.4 max apperture lens - the speedbooster just lets 1 more stop of light in 'optically' it doesn't open your apperture 'physically ' by one more stop - how can it get inside your lens and make it physically 1 stop open wider.....

have a read up on how speedboosters work

I too have this Sigma 30mm f1.4 its a great lens and works just fine

Your Sigma 30mm f1.4 is always a f1.4 max apperture lens - the speedbooster just lets 1 more stop of light in 'optically' it doesn't open your apperture 'physically ' by one more stop

Some lenses "show" the bigger aperture with the Speedbooster some dont

Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Shows F/1.4

Canon 50mm F/1.4 shows F/1.4

Canon 40mm F/2.8 shows F/2.0

Canon 16-35 F/2.8 Mk2 shows F/2.0

Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 shows F/2.0

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 shows f/2.0

going to do some tests later today with the sigma 35mm f/1.4 and speedbooster wide open against the SLR magic 25mm  M43 mount T0.95 which theortically should be similar apertures

Little update: Metabones support did email me back and said that they don't support this lens. THey where willing to accept me returning the lens, which is pretty cool. However, I found that Sigma has a 17-50mm 2.8 stabilized as well.. plus it already has a 77m ring, perfect for variable ND. I tried it and it works! Plus the stabilization is way more quiet, the Tamron was too loud, the mic picked it up. The zoom control on the Sigma is much smoother, the focus throw is much too short for focus though, gonna take some time to get used to it. And its it reverse direction.. but overall way happy with the Sigma lens, its a bit more blury in the corners on the wide, but sharper on the telephoto end, center and all so that's also a plus for me.

Hi, 

I've been trying to find an answer online, but no help found.. Metabones didn't write me back. I connected the speedbooster to my GH4 and then i just got a newly purchased Tamron 17-50mm and it just doesn't work? Image stabilization does, but no control over the iris. THere is no manual, i don'T know what the wheel does, the info i find on metabones talks about NEX cameras.. i'm at a loss, will it work with this lens? Help please.

thank you

jm

~

Some lenses "show" the bigger aperture with the Speedbooster some dont

Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Shows F/1.4

Canon 50mm F/1.4 shows F/1.4

Canon 40mm F/2.8 shows F/2.0

Canon 16-35 F/2.8 Mk2 shows F/2.0

Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 shows F/2.0

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 shows f/2.0

going to do some tests later today with the sigma 35mm f/1.4 and speedbooster wide open against the SLR magic 25mm  M43 mount T0.95 which theortically should be similar apertures

This is the result of a firmware work-around of a camera flaw that can't handle the metadata for f/1.0 and faster lenses.  The work-around is to report the un-boosted aperture for very fast lenses used wide-open.  Hopefully the camera manufacturers will realize that f/1.0 and faster optics are becoming popular and will fix the issue.  Then the firmware in the Speed Boosters can be adjusted accordingly.

Your Sigma 30mm f1.4 is always a f1.4 max apperture lens - the speedbooster just lets 1 more stop of light in 'optically' it doesn't open your apperture 'physically ' by one more stop - how can it get inside your lens and make it physically 1 stop open wider.....

have a read up on how speedboosters work

I too have this Sigma 30mm f1.4 its a great lens and works just fine

A 30mm f/1.4 plus a 0.71x Speed Booster becomes a 21mm f/1.0.  The focal ratio (f/#) *does* change, as does the focal length.  Its the entrance pupil that stays fixed.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm having a major issue/breakdown regarding my newly purchased Speedbooster for EF mounts. Along with its purchase, I bought a Fotodiox adapter from Nikon to Canon EOS (which it states on the Amazon page that it fits EF mounts), but i cannot get the Fotodiox adapter to fit properly on the Speedbooster. Thinking it was an issue with this small screw installed on the Fotodiox adapter, I unscrewed it but alas, that did nothing as far as getting it to fit.

Anyone aware of any issues related to this? Any help would surely be appreciated. 

thanks!

I had the same experience with the EF-to-BMPCC Metabones Speedbooster, and I have a similar problem with my Nikkor-to-EF-M RJ focal reducer.

Essentially, many speed-boosters/focal-reducers cannot accept EF-S lenses because the EF-S lenses sit deeper inside the adapter than regular EF lenses.  So, to avoid scratching the front element in the focal-reducer, that front element is slightly recessed into the flange which surrounds it.  This recessed configuration causes the the front inside flange of the focal reducer to touch/block the rear flange of an EF-S lens  -- no glass gets scratched and the EF-S lens won't mount.

Likewise, this forward flange on the focal reducer hits the rear protective tongue/shield on some Nikkor lenses, preventing them from mounting.

You could try to remove or saw off the protective rear tongue/shield on the back of your Nikkor lens, but be careful when mounting the lens.

• 2 weeks later...
m43-sb-1m43-sb-2

First impressions review

The long awaited active Canon EF mount Speed Booster adapter for Micro Four Thirds is finally here. I have a review sample, currently putting it through a few shoots to see how it performs. This is not the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera version but the general Micro Four Thirds mount adapter, so fully compatible with all Panasonic and Olympus cameras including the GH4 and E-M1. Finally you can use all your Canon lenses with full electronic support for aperture control and stabilisation.

Read the full article here

​Andrew, I purchased your book and just wondering when you are planning updating the book for suggested lenses using the Canon EF speedbooster. Thanks!

"This book will be updated with more details when they are available."