Officially announced - Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds and Panasonic GH4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Has anyone gotten confirmation on their order? I think I ordered the new Speedbooster since $$$ was taken out of my Paypal account, but have not received any further word from them (no emails). Is this common? There's no way to check the status of an order on their website.

I now see on their website that the Speedbooster is unavailable.

they state on their website that your paypal receipt is your order confirmation.  Check their support/FAQ.  They have an email address that takes post-sale inquiries.  You can ask for a tracking number hopefully through there.  I will be doing it shortly.

Thanks. I did find that tid-bit of info after posting my original statement. They did respond via email and stated it was being shipped today. Hopefully I will get it soon. I've been waiting for this adapter for years!!! I do a lot of wildlife work and having image stabilization on my telephoto lenses will be a godsend.

I've read a number of bad reports that the Canon EF to E Mounts specifically with the Sony A series camera has had communications errors between the adapter and the camera itself. It's been less than reliable and leading the people to return them. Owning a GH4, I for one hope this isn't an issue with the m43 to ef version. 

Could just be one of these snug fits.

At first I had trouble mounting my MFT-mount SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95 onto the E-M1. They told me...

If you can still exchange either the OM-D E-M1 camera , please exchange another one with the place you buy to try.

Sometimes there are manufacuring tolerance and seems the camera mount is slightly too tight.  If you have passed the return period, you can return the lens to us to check.  We can specifically help you change to a slightly looser mount but you will feel the the lens is a bit loose on your GH2.

Though... every other lens acts just the same regardless of camera body; the way you expect 'em to. Only had it with the mentioned lens. And I wasn't alone.

Can't really tell you why a lens would fit differently on two mounts which are supposed to be identical.

Just got the Canon EF Speedbooster... FYI it doesn't fit on the Olympus EM-1, but seems to work with my GH4 quite nicely. I notice the article says it does fit the EM-1.

I had similar problems with my lens turbo on the E-M5. It fit fine on the Panasonic G6, but at first wouldn't go on the Oly E-M5 at all. It seemed to sit in the mount snugly, but I couldn't turn it at all. Eventually I noticed that it wasn't quite sitting flush in the mount. On the side opposite the red dot, there was a tiny gap, less than a mm. By first pressing hard on the lens turbo towards the sensor (ie along the axis of the lens) to close this gap, I eventually found I was able to turn it. It did grind a bit the first time I put it on. If you leave it on a while, take it on or off a few times, it seems to be ok.... On the plus side, when it does go on, there's no wobble at all.

Examining the two mounts, I can't really work out what it was that was causing the problem on the Olympus. It doesn't seem to be anything critical though. So far.... (mind you, I'm using a second hand $300 E-M5 and a $140 lens turbo so it's not like I have a $2000 investment to protect)

So yeah, it seems that Olympus mounts are a bit tighter somehow than Panasonic ones.

On the GH4 - shooting in 1080, on a 50mm 1.2, with the adapter, that lens becomes a 35mm right ?

Now, on the GH4 - shooting in 4k, on a Sigma 18-35, with the adapter, what does the lens become ?

My last question is, does the noticeable "shake" (while going handheld) on MFT cameras such as the GH4, go a way a little bit now that this setup transforms it into 35mm ?

I had similar problems with my lens turbo on the E-M5. It fit fine on the Panasonic G6, but at first wouldn't go on the Oly E-M5 at all. It seemed to sit in the mount snugly, but I couldn't turn it at all. Eventually I noticed that it wasn't quite sitting flush in the mount. On the side opposite the red dot, there was a tiny gap, less than a mm. By first pressing hard on the lens turbo towards the sensor (ie along the axis of the lens) to close this gap, I eventually found I was able to turn it. It did grind a bit the first time I put it on. If you leave it on a while, take it on or off a few times, it seems to be ok.... On the plus side, when it does go on, there's no wobble at all.

Examining the two mounts, I can't really work out what it was that was causing the problem on the Olympus. It doesn't seem to be anything critical though. So far.... (mind you, I'm using a second hand $300 E-M5 and a $140 lens turbo so it's not like I have a $2000 investment to protect)

So yeah, it seems that Olympus mounts are a bit tighter somehow than Panasonic ones.

Just to be clear - I think the new Speedbooster is totally incompatible with the E-M1.  The protruding prism prevents the adaptor being mounted at all - or so I read.  I had to cancel my order last week which is a great shame.  If anybody knows differently please let me know.

Jim

Hi there all - First post here, I wanted to share what I just experienced an hour ago when I received my Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster; I ordered directly from Metabones, it took them 5 days to send it, for starters, which felt bit lousy for an 1-3 day express delivery. The item arrived in thin cardboard box, luckily the retail box inside was in somewhat OK condition.

However, when I opened the box which contains a plastic case, there was some dust inside the case, which didn't really give good first impression. Then, the lens caps both had noticeable amount of dirt / dust. The item itself too had some dirt and grime on it, dust on the metal parts here and there. Not hard to see with bare eyes and my point being is that lenses don't usually come in this condition when you buy new stuff.

Then, the side switch (not the lens release) frame is somewhat loose, I can push it around with fingernail and feels cheap / broken, rattling free. When I opened the lens caps, there was more dust inside the caps, too. Not much, but enough that it's not what I'd expect when I check some lens or optics for the first time. Then I noticed that the plastic shim / cover on the micro 4/3 side was loose, it had ripped off from grasp of the tiny screw that holds it in place, I think.

Finally, the lens itself seems to be somewhat dirty, it has some residue on it, not sure if the photos show it correctly, but it looks to my eye really oily / dirty. Never seen anything like that on a Canon lens (for example), for sure.

I've attached a few photos, check the link below to see them.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/diz36d625c6l47m/AAAV5UTUhBWmjGXGSyOsJXb2a?dl=0

I've ordered one adapter directly from Metabones earlier, it was all ok then, no problems like this at all. Seems like their quality control has slipped or someone has had a bad day or something?

Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems or experiences with Metabones? I feel bit cheated when I get stuff in this shape and paid 599 usd + shipping and taxes (almost 150 usd).

I already contacted them about this issue.

looks like it just needs a clean....

I use a 50% isopropanol 50% water mix for cleaning lenses

and tissue paper which I find is soft enough but has just enough abrasion to shift and residue / dirt from the lens without harming it

wipe over with a folded pice of tissue with the cleaning fluid - wipe dry with dry tissue

let glass dry

brush off any residue with a lens brush

its should be good to go then

this will take you 2 mins to do

Hi there all - First post here, I wanted to share what I just experienced an hour ago when I received my Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster; I ordered directly from Metabones, it took them 5 days to send it, for starters, which felt bit lousy for an 1-3 day express delivery. The item arrived in thin cardboard box, luckily the retail box inside was in somewhat OK condition.

However, when I opened the box which contains a plastic case, there was some dust inside the case, which didn't really give good first impression. Then, the lens caps both had noticeable amount of dirt / dust. The item itself too had some dirt and grime on it, dust on the metal parts here and there. Not hard to see with bare eyes and my point being is that lenses don't usually come in this condition when you buy new stuff.

Then, the side switch (not the lens release) frame is somewhat loose, I can push it around with fingernail and feels cheap / broken, rattling free. When I opened the lens caps, there was more dust inside the caps, too. Not much, but enough that it's not what I'd expect when I check some lens or optics for the first time. Then I noticed that the plastic shim / cover on the micro 4/3 side was loose, it had ripped off from grasp of the tiny screw that holds it in place, I think.

Finally, the lens itself seems to be somewhat dirty, it has some residue on it, not sure if the photos show it correctly, but it looks to my eye really oily / dirty. Never seen anything like that on a Canon lens (for example), for sure.

I've attached a few photos, check the link below to see them.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/diz36d625c6l47m/AAAV5UTUhBWmjGXGSyOsJXb2a?dl=0

I've ordered one adapter directly from Metabones earlier, it was all ok then, no problems like this at all. Seems like their quality control has slipped or someone has had a bad day or something?

Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems or experiences with Metabones? I feel bit cheated when I get stuff in this shape and paid 599 usd + shipping and taxes (almost 150 usd).

I already contacted them about this issue.

Looking at your picture No6, the hex bolt on the left looks as if somebody has tightened it with too small a key because the edges look a bit burred over.  Perhaps it was a review copy?

Hi, 

I've been trying to find an answer online, but no help found.. Metabones didn't write me back. I connected the speedbooster to my GH4 and then i just got a newly purchased Tamron 17-50mm and it just doesn't work? Image stabilization does, but no control over the iris. THere is no manual, i don'T know what the wheel does, the info i find on metabones talks about NEX cameras.. i'm at a loss, will it work with this lens? Help please.

thank you

jm

~

Can someone confirm my math as I am not sure I have this right.

Say I pick up the sigma 18-200mm for Canon APS-C to use with the Metabones MFT speedboster:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827697-REG/Sigma_882101_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_DC_OS.html

Shooting HD 1920x1080 to equivalent 35mm zoom range of this lens would be: 21.7 - 241mm

(18*1.7*0.71 = 21.7) etc.

B&H suggest this is Canon EF-S mount but it seems from the above discussion that is not the case. It is Canon EF?

• Administrators

No it's definitely EF mount if it's a Sigma.

The equivalent 35mm zoom range is definitely not 21.7 to 241mm. Just times by the sensor crop factor (i.e 2x) then times by the focal reduction factor of the Speed Booster x0.71. I.e. 25mm x 2 = 50mm. 50mm x 0.71 = 35mm.

(18*1.7*0.71 = 21.7)

Should be *2 not 1.7. Or *2.3 if shooting 4k on the GH4.

And again, it's EF mount, not EF-S. Although keep in mind third party lenses are all EF. So you can't use the Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 but you can use the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 (which was my favourite lens on my Nikon).