Officially announced - Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds and Panasonic GH4

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
m43-sb-1m43-sb-2

First impressions review

The long awaited active Canon EF mount Speed Booster adapter for Micro Four Thirds is finally here. I have a review sample, currently putting it through a few shoots to see how it performs. This is not the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera version but the general Micro Four Thirds mount adapter, so fully compatible with all Panasonic and Olympus cameras including the GH4 and E-M1. Finally you can use all your Canon lenses with full electronic support for aperture control and stabilisation.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sooooo….. as someone who's just getting started… Should I be selling my nikon m43 speed booster, and sigma to 18-35 nikon mount lens, and buy one of these and some canon glass instead?

Canon glass really that much better looks wise then Nikon?

The idea of IS sounds really awesome though. Especially for documentary shooting and taking photos. But you have to use slower lens, which is a shame. I suppose I could always get another sigma 18 - 35 second hand but canon mount.

For $600 I would really have appreciated autofocus, and obviously a greater reduction factor.  I, like many, have been waiting to purchase this ever since I received my GH4 back in May, but feel that it's worth closer to $400.  $600 towards a Sony A7S with Canon glass sounds like a better value at this point.  Thoughts?

• Administrators

For $600 I would really have appreciated autofocus, and obviously a greater reduction factor.  I, like many, have been waiting to purchase this ever since I received my GH4 back in May, but feel that it's worth closer to $400.  $600 towards a Sony A7S with Canon glass sounds like a better value at this point.  Thoughts?

Impossible to say without knowing your priorities as a shooter. In some circumstances the A7S will do better, in other circumstances the GH4 with Speed Booster so it's very tricky to give a quick answer, all I can do is point out the differences.

Creatively, I prefer the full frame & low light performance of the A7S but the GH4 with Speed Booster is Super 35mm, suits PL and cine lenses, all whilst doing 4K internally to small file size. It's also cheaper, and a total bargain for what it offers, as well as being better ergonomically than the A7S.

• Administrators

I have to know... Since the Tokina 11-16 is an APS-C lens, will it work on this? From what I read it has an EF-S mount?

Yes it works. It is EF mount actually. All Tokina, Sigma and Tamron third party APS-C lenses are EF mount.