The best small&light gimbal?

Amazeballs

I am not a fan of carring a huge gimbal with me and also I get fatigued when shooting it for a long time, and its cumbersome at best. But starting from Zhyiun M3 there have apperead a new bread of small portable gimbals which I am quite intrested in. The question is - which one to get?

Here are the candidates:

- Zhyiun Crane M3 (320$). Gimbal weight 700 gramm, supported weight is claimed 2.2kg by Zhyiun but I highly dought that number. The gimbal is year old though and ppl tested it extensivly. Brandon Li loves to use this one and he explained that the gimbal itself doesnt produce smooth footage so he uses catayst browse to stabilise his Sony camera on top of the gimbal which works very well but is a pain to use as it adds extra encoding step and makes all your footage 8 bit as well (or you need to buy catalyst Prepare, thank you Sony). I like the design, has DJI style focus ring and a nice modren touch screen. Also an etra 1/4 ounting point. The main downside for me is how janky and shaky the footage straight from the gimbal looks, very robotic. 

- Moza Aircross S (260$). Gimbal weight is also around 700 gramm and the weight it supports is stated at 1.8kg. No focus wheel, very old calculator-style non touch LSD but easy to switch for vertical shooting. From the test I have seen on the tube it is smoother and better for heavy cameras. One guy was succefully running it with A7S3 and Tamron 17-28 (1.3kg combo). 

- Feyiutech Scorp mini (230$). Gimbal weight 787 gramm, supported weight only up to 1.2kg. Has a top handle deisgn for easy briefcase\underslung mode. Nice touch screen, focus wheel. A like the design but kind of scared its maximum weight will be too limited for me. 

Now my camera setup will be Sony A7s3 with a half cage which is 870grams with an arca plate. Plus all my lenses will be exactly 280 grams + 50 gram VND. In total = 1.2KG 

Any advice pals?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just got the Scorp Mini, arrived this week. Did not tested extensively it, though.

I have the Feiyutech G6Max, and since the arms / adjusting mechanism looks the same, I guessed that it was just the same gimbal with a new form factor and a better screen. It is not.

The rear screen is a game-changer, very fast to change settings, did not have to remember "x clicks in the trigger" to change modes. Footage looks much more stable than the G6Max. And the top handle design is better for normal use too, you could use both hands and reduce fatigue a lot.

Bad points: plasticky design, helps with the weight but feels much flimsier than metal gimbals, and the G6Max was spalsh-proof and this is not. Does not comes with a carrying case, opposed to the past Feiyu gimbals. 

But yes, your setup would be near the maximum payload - for instance, I hated the new Zhyiun scheme of not anymore stating the payload of the Crane Ms, just supplying some camera / lens "supported" combinations. Highly doubt that the  Crane M3 could handle more than the Scorp Mini - in fact, the Crane M2 have motors around the same size of my G6Max, but half of the payload.

One possible solution could be the Feiyu Scorp C, which is very popular around here. It is heavier (1,2kg), but the dual handle design allow to use both hands, which helps; and it have a much higher payload (2,5 kg). Did not have the Scorp Mini's screen, though (Isuspect that a new version could come with it in the future).

Usman from Sonders Creative made a very critical review of the Mini, but at the same time praising the performance. Balancing problem occurs just on the roll axis, keeps returning to center, but had the same issue with the G6Max, and did not affect the performance after auto-calibration. On-off button, bad position really, but need a 3 sec press to turn on and a very strong push, and the last firmware update puts the gimbal to sleep in 5 seconds when the roll axis is locked. Plate: the screw is in a separate bag inside the box, and have an integrated lens support (that comes in the box too). Is just kinda short.

For me the one huge downside of Scorp mini is that it has zero mounting pounts. None. I would love to have an option to attach my monitor or at least a phone to a gimbal. I am specifically looking at the 800gramm tops for a gimbal cos for 1.2 kg you can have a ton of options including DJI. But those 400-500 gramm of difference play an important role in overall comfort and gimbal stamina for me. 

Still looking forward for your review. Would be nice if you test it with a heavy FF setup to check its weight limit and also do tests without any slowmo or camera IBIS to clearly see how the gimbal performs. 

Crane M3 borderline at 1.2kg IMO…

Had the S5 with 20-60mm zoom on it and it was close to the limit I’d say and would sometimes need a bit of manual encouragement!

Sold it and ordered an DJI RS3, partly to handle the weight better and partly because of the auto lock function.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:56 AM, Amazeballs said:

For me the one huge downside of Scorp mini is that it has zero mounting pounts. None. I would love to have an option to attach my monitor or at least a phone to a gimbal. I am specifically looking at the 800gramm tops for a gimbal cos for 1.2 kg you can have a ton of options including DJI. But those 400-500 gramm of difference play an important role in overall comfort and gimbal stamina for me. 

Still looking forward for your review. Would be nice if you test it with a heavy FF setup to check its weight limit and also do tests without any slowmo or camera IBIS to clearly see how the gimbal performs. 

Good point, no mounting points. Remembered that Feiyu had a Rosetta attachment, but is for the Scorp C / Scorp.

Will take some time to proper test mine (amateur here, and this time of the year is busy), and have no FF cameras.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:14 AM, Amazeballs said:

A really well-rounded honest review and not just another primitive shilled youtuber promotion bubbling about how awesome it is.  

Now we need a proper comparison between Scorpn mini and Moza Aircross S

I like his reviews, even when I disagree in some points. Had a A1000 because of his review, was an amazing value at the time.

I liked what I saw form the Aircross S, but after using a little this kind of gimbals with two holding points, impossible to come back. Is SO much comfortable.

I'm no expert but I have a Weebill S. It weighs a little more (895g) but it seems pretty robust and can deal with my S5 and 50 and 24  1.8 or 20-60mm no problem. It fits into my Lowepro 500aw flipside with 2 cameras, sound gear and lenses. They can be picked up second hand very cheap.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:05 AM, Amazeballs said:

I am not a fan of carring a huge gimbal with me and also I get fatigued when shooting it for a long time, and its cumbersome at best. But starting from Zhyiun M3 there have apperead a new bread of small portable gimbals which I am quite intrested in. The question is - which one to get?

Here are the candidates:

- Zhyiun Crane M3 (320$). Gimbal weight 700 gramm, supported weight is claimed 2.2kg by Zhyiun but I highly dought that number. The gimbal is year old though and ppl tested it extensivly. Brandon Li loves to use this one and he explained that the gimbal itself doesnt produce smooth footage so he uses catayst browse to stabilise his Sony camera on top of the gimbal which works very well but is a pain to use as it adds extra encoding step and makes all your footage 8 bit as well (or you need to buy catalyst Prepare, thank you Sony). I like the design, has DJI style focus ring and a nice modren touch screen. Also an etra 1/4 ounting point. The main downside for me is how janky and shaky the footage straight from the gimbal looks, very robotic. 

- Moza Aircross S (260$). Gimbal weight is also around 700 gramm and the weight it supports is stated at 1.8kg. No focus wheel, very old calculator-style non touch LSD but easy to switch for vertical shooting. From the test I have seen on the tube it is smoother and better for heavy cameras. One guy was succefully running it with A7S3 and Tamron 17-28 (1.3kg combo). 

- Feyiutech Scorp mini (230$). Gimbal weight 787 gramm, supported weight only up to 1.2kg. Has a top handle deisgn for easy briefcase\underslung mode. Nice touch screen, focus wheel. A like the design but kind of scared its maximum weight will be too limited for me. 

Now my camera setup will be Sony A7s3 with a half cage which is 870grams with an arca plate. Plus all my lenses will be exactly 280 grams + 50 gram VND. In total = 1.2KG 

Any advice pals?

I know, totally left field here but someone had to do it so might as well be me 😀 but would the Ronin RSC 2 not work for you? I know it is heavier and probably larger than you are looking for but at the end of the day no one comes close to DJI for reliability, stability, and performance. I've had a love/hate relationship with their gimbals for many years now. I started out on the original Zhyiun Crane; switched to DJI's Ronin S and have never went back. I now have the RS2 and there is nothing more that I could want out of a gimbal.

The thing is, your starting rig is pretty heavy, so putting a rig on a gimbal that is anywhere near its maximum payload is asking for trouble; the payload capacity could be overstated, the motors could simply die sooner, or you could just get jittery footage. The RSC 2's payload capacity is nearly 50% more than your planned payload so it will be able to handle everything you throw at it.

Every other gimbal maker feels like they are just trying to be as good as DJI (but failing) so for me I'd rather buy once and use for many years vs always looking for something "almost" as good as DJI. 

As far as fatigue goes, you probably know all of these but there's many little tricks to reducing it. I stick the end of the gimbal into my belt anytime I am not shooting with it or have to stand for long periods of time, you can get a shoulder strap for them, there's even a shoulder strap mounting rig, etc. Working out helps greatly too, a few dumbbells and hammer curls each day will make your payload feel weightless and help with the fatigue within just a few weeks.

Also, I don't know your particular typical project, but for me I've pretty much ditched my gimbals altogether and really enjoy handheld. I only use gimbals when I need to walk or run with the talent or need complex camera movements. If you do a lot of interview type stuff you could try a monopod or even a shoulder ENG style setup which are all less stressful than a gimbal. Obviously if you are only shooting complex camera movement and need what a gimbal offers then a gimbal is your only option; but for me personally I have gotten much better with my handheld technique and the gimbal usually never leaves the bag.

I can't weigh in on comparing different gimbals but I have been happy with my RSC2. I wasn't sure if would handle my S1, cage, 16-35 f4, and the focus motor and HDMI transmitter, but it works great. Can't remember what that total payload is but it has a bit of room left to spare. Folds down somewhat compact, battery has never been an issue. The biggest issue has actually been finding reasons to use it 😄. I tend to go for handheld as well.

14 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I know, totally left field here but someone had to do it so might as well be me 😀 but would the Ronin RSC 2 not work for you? I know it is heavier and probably larger than you are looking for but at the end of the day no one comes close to DJI for reliability, stability, and performance. I've had a love/hate relationship with their gimbals for many years now. I started out on the original Zhyiun Crane; switched to DJI's Ronin S and have never went back. I now have the RS2 and there is nothing more that I could want out of a gimbal.

Year man DJI stuff is awesome, I feel you. I have gone through a number of gimbals myself. My last one was Zhyuin Weebill S which is a nice gimbal and relativly light and compact (but with a mounting plate, small tripod and a top handle its about 1,3kg).. now I dont have it anymore and I want to try something new. I have noticed that Brandon Li uses Crane M3 a lot in his shots and there is a reason for that. DJI RSC2 is 1.2 kg and M3 or Aircross S is 700 gram, so that is a substantial differnce of 500 gram in my experince. You will start feeling it over time pretty quickly. Yes there are some tricks of how to tuck a gimbal under your belt I know them. I am working out actually so just to clarify - not an old crippled dude here. But still I want something more compact and light. Also the reason is that when gimbal adds an overall 1.2kg to your bag you just dont want to carry it anymore. I have so much stuff already - camera, lenses, a drone, monitor, monopod.. and now a gimbal. Its a constant battle of what exactly should I take on a shoot. So every 100 grams count. And here we have 500 of them 🙂 So for travel purposes I want to try a light gimbal. I dont mind paying 250$ just to see how it goes. I am always up for DJI making a gimbal in this category and switching to it. 

And I also want a DJI pocket 3 with a 1 inch sensor so I can ditch my gimbal for some shots completely. 

Cheers. 

I don’t know if this helps or not but I always use my gimbal these days with a QR plate and an uber lightweight tripod.

This way I can use it for secondary static shots while I wander about but at any second can use it off the tripod in a split second. Or with the tripod attached as it’s so light and actually adds some further stability.

I actually also have a Spider QR bolt on it to hang off a Spider holster belt clip which means I can carry the whole thing, gimbal and tripod hands free.

Being a solo hybrid shooter, this way I can work with 4 cameras at ‘the same time’.

S5 gimbal tripod combo

S1H central shoulder harness and tripod

S1R left harness

S1R right harness

Drone, batteries, audio, lightstand, lighting, all backpack (which I only wear from car to venue otherwise dump it somewhere handy).

Use ability is more important to me over size or weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I wonder if the mini would be a good solution for the original BMPCC. I have a glidecam, which I prefer to gimbals for several reasons (more natural-looking motion footage, no motor noise, no batteries to charge or worry about on airplanes, etc.), but a small gimbal would be more portable and practical in some cases. I also have two Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cameras that might work on the mini, depending on its payload specs.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:40 AM, Amazeballs said:

Year man DJI stuff is awesome, I feel you. I have gone through a number of gimbals myself. My last one was Zhyuin Weebill S which is a nice gimbal and relativly light and compact (but with a mounting plate, small tripod and a top handle its about 1,3kg).. now I dont have it anymore and I want to try something new. I have noticed that Brandon Li uses Crane M3 a lot in his shots and there is a reason for that. DJI RSC2 is 1.2 kg and M3 or Aircross S is 700 gram, so that is a substantial differnce of 500 gram in my experince. You will start feeling it over time pretty quickly. Yes there are some tricks of how to tuck a gimbal under your belt I know them. I am working out actually so just to clarify - not an old crippled dude here. But still I want something more compact and light. Also the reason is that when gimbal adds an overall 1.2kg to your bag you just dont want to carry it anymore. I have so much stuff already - camera, lenses, a drone, monitor, monopod.. and now a gimbal. Its a constant battle of what exactly should I take on a shoot. So every 100 grams count. And here we have 500 of them 🙂 So for travel purposes I want to try a light gimbal. I dont mind paying 250$ just to see how it goes. I am always up for DJI making a gimbal in this category and switching to it. 

And I also want a DJI pocket 3 with a 1 inch sensor so I can ditch my gimbal for some shots completely. 

Cheers. 

It looks like DJI read your mind with the RS 3: https://www.dji.com/rs-3-mini?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=launch-rs3mini&sc_src=email_6013510&sc_eh=336e9e0d76a557b31&sc_llid=435361&sc_lid=393409123&sc_uid=zsTiv7096T