Which quick release system to choose?

Amazeballs

Basicly deciding between Falcam F38 and PGYTECH SnapLock systems. Both Arca compatible, compact and could easily be adapted to any system as their base is also has an arca mount. Does anybody has any experience with those? The camera weight will be up to 2kg at max. Maybe there are some other nice alternatives, please do tell if you know any! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m a fan of Kessler stuff. Yes, it’s relatively expensive (possibly stupidly so) but it’s rugged, does exactly what it’s told and has more bolt holes in convenient places than I would ever need. The kessler quick release plates are Arca compatible.

https://kesslercrane.com/products/kwik-release-receiver-only-mg1001

I have acquired a silly amount of Kessler stuff over the years so as I say I am a bit of a fan. But it’s possibly not a direct alternative to the ones you mention. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Snowfun said:

I’m a fan of Kessler stuff. Yes, it’s relatively expensive (possibly stupidly so) but it’s rugged, does exactly what it’s told and has more bolt holes in convenient places than I would ever need. The kessler quick release plates are Arca compatible.

https://kesslercrane.com/products/kwik-release-receiver-only-mg1001

I have acquired a silly amount of Kessler stuff over the years so as I say I am a bit of a fan. But it’s possibly not a direct alternative to the ones you mention. 

Wow, $160 for a single release plate?? I wouldn't have to worry about camera gear there would be nothing left over to buy any after buying those. Between multiple cameras, tripods, sliders, gimbals, etc......I probably have over 20 release plates mounted to various things.

I personally am a big fan of Smallrig, anything they make I buy without hesitation. I use their Manfrotto plates for all of my gear. Big, bulky, uncomfortable to hold, but rock solid.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:24 AM, Amazeballs said:

The camera weight will be up to 2kg at max.

For anybody going a bit heavier than that, then I 1000% recommend (especially if you're OMB) using VCT-14. (well, unless you're going waaaaaay heavier, and working with a crew of ACs, then of course go with ARRI dovetail)  VTC-14 is what I use for my main cameras. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

For anybody going a bit heavier than that, then I 1000% recommend (especially if you're OMB) using VCT-14. (well, unless you're going waaaaaay heavier, and working with a crew of ACs, then of course go with ARRI dovetail)  VTC-14 is what I use for my main cameras. 

Hey! Ended up getting UMP G1 😁, and ran into a fork in the road with which of those plate systems to invest in. I understand VCT to be more ENG tailored and is quicker to get off and on the tripod, but Arri dovetail plates are what you see on proper film sets. I wanted to go dovetail route but couldn't figure out of you specifically needed expensive Oconnor or Sachtler tripod+heads that are designed for dovetail base plates? Or is the plate something you can mount to less expensive but sturdy tripods? My work will be split between corporate/commercial and local indie narrative projects.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:14 AM, j_one said:

I wanted to go dovetail route but couldn't figure out of you specifically needed expensive Oconnor or Sachtler tripod+heads that are designed for dovetail base plates? Or is the plate something you can mount to less expensive but sturdy tripods?

Any affordable 100mm bowl tripod with a smooth head would be a good tripod to start out with for your URSA Mini.

On 12/16/2022 at 5:14 AM, j_one said:

My work will be split between corporate/commercial and local indie narrative projects.

And that's exactly why you should use a VCT-14 and not arri dovetails. You won't have the time / budget / manpower. 

I started with dovetails years and years ago, for my F3. Later on switched to VCT-14, so much better!

I would highly recommend the Leftfield system by Bright Tangerine.

All the benefits of the Arri dovetail while also being just as quick to engage and disengage as the VCT system. With Leftfield, there is no sliding the camera on to the dovetail. You just place it where you want it and lock the lever but then you have full front to back sliding capabilities for adjustment. 

Just now, A_Urquhart said:

I would highly recommend the Leftfield system by Bright Tangerine.

All the benefits of the Arri dovetail while also being just as quick to engage and disengage as the VCT system. With Leftfield, there is no sliding the camera on to the dovetail. You just place it where you want it and lock the lever but then you have full front to back sliding capabilities for adjustment. 

Edit: sorry just saw your comment on the Kessler being expensive......Leftfield is not cheap!

On 12/13/2022 at 7:53 AM, Thpriest said:

I have the Falcam F38. I use it with the S5 with the 24mm 1.8 on the Weebill and it seems sturdy and well made. Only used it a couple of times though.

Got the Falcam F38 too, I think I even opened a thread here some time ago.

Since I'm an amateur, my need for a quick release is, when travelling, rapidly put / remove a camera from gimbal when doing movies or stills; and to have another QR in a neck strap to carry the camera when not doing both.

PGYtech Snap Lock is perfect for the gimbal part (very fast removal and mounting), but I have a lack of confidence to use it in a neck strap - all the weight of the camera would be supported by the two locking tabs on the QR. The QR have a 10 kg payload, MUCH more than I need, but...if it fails, camera goes to ground. But if the intended use it to switch between gimbal and tripod, would be my choice.

Got the Falcim, because they have a special base made to use with straps, and it have locking pins - when using with a strap, all the weight is supported by the locking mechanism, and, if it fails, the two security pins will hold the camera. Cons: mounting  / demounting takes a little more time.

Falcam have another system, F22, that is smaller - could not find the payload of these, but since is used to connect handles, it might be sturdy.

Manfrotto made a similar system to the PGY, but bigger (and probably more expensive): https://www.manfrotto.com/global/collections/supports/manfrotto-move/

On 12/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, Amazeballs said:

I went with F38 as well cos I bought into F22 for mounting a bunch of smaller accerories and they are sort of cross-compatible with some adapters. Will see how it goes pretty soon. 

If ultimate changing speed is not an issue, was a very good choice. F38 works very well, very sturdy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 4:10 AM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

If ultimate changing speed is not an issue, was a very good choice. F38 works very well, very sturdy.

The Ulanzi F50 looks like a great (cheap!) alternative to the Leftfield I suggested above for smaller cameras. Considering picking one up. 
Anyone used one? What’s the quality like? Are they solid?

cheers