Sony A5100 rumoured to have 50 Mbps XAVCS

utsira

According to Sony Alpha Rumours.

If true, this means that XAVCS isn't just for cameras at the top of the lineup. I wonder whether it's a full sensor readout as well.

I wish they'd hurry up and do an A6100..... or better yet a meaty firmware update for the A6000

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-this-is-the-first-image-of-the-new-sony-a5100/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A6000, A7, A7R have the same Bionz X processor, which is in A7S too and most likely in A5100. So firmware update should be able to add XAVC-S on A6000, A7 and A7R. If Sony wants to. But having XAVC-S on A5100 and missing it on more expensive and advanced A6000 doesn't make much sense economically. My guess is all tree A6000, A7, A7R will get XAVC-S with firmware update.

A6000 already has good Full HD video. With XAVC-S and 50MBit/sec bit rate it will get even better, maybe close to A7S in normal lighting conditions. But Sony may keep S-LOG 2 profile for A7S and more expensive cameras only.

Sony don't exactly have a history of exciting or meaningful firmware updates, unfortunately...

they barely bother with the lenses, it's just body after body.

but yes, I'd love to be proven wrong here. I've been sitting on the fence about the A6000. 50 mbps would push me over

And.... the embargo is lifted:

http://***URL removed***/previews/sony-alpha-a5100

The a5100 one-ups all of Sony's mirrorless cameras* by supporting the XAVC S codec, which allows for 1080/60p/24p video at a 50Mbps bit rate.  

*(except for the A7S. Get your facts straight DPreview!)

Has the same focussing system as the a6000, but with a touch screen, which could make for some interesting possibilities. Clean HDMI out too. This could be a very cost effective brain for a larger rig.

From the press release:

Additionally, with the power of the BIONZ X processor, the camera is able to read, process and output data from all of the sensor’s pixels during video recording, ensuring that it produces the highest quality video possible by eliminating aliasing, moiré and false color artifacts.  

=full-sensor readout.

I haven't found any mention of high fps slow motion modes though.    edit: press release again says "1280 x 720 (120p)"

not bad. 50 mbps XAVCS 24/60p, full sensor readout, 720p 120fps, clean HDMI out, zebras, focus peaking, 179 focus points, first (?) touchscreen implementation of the new alpha menus.

September will be an interesting month for cameras. We're starting to see how far down the range the new codecs and other features are going. 

September will be an interesting month for cameras. We're starting to see how far down the range the new codecs and other features are going. 

Agree! It looks Photokina will bring more video improvements and 4K cameras in DSLR mirrorless segment than NAB.
Video quality on A5100 and eventually A6000 with new codec should be approximately the same as A7S till probably 1600/3200 ISO. Which is exciting news for me, because as Andrew showed, quality for such a highly compressed codec is very very good. It can replace RAW in most cases. Hopefully A5100 and A6000 have or will get the S-LOG profile. It is an important part.

With rumors of GM2 getting 4K and GH4 getting some form of 4K RAW video (internal recording most likely) better to start saving money because at the end of September we'll have much wider and better choice.  ;)

Hopefully A5100 and A6000 have or will get the S-LOG profile. 

I've not seen any mention of s-log in the coverage or press release so far. The list of picture profiles looks the same as it did in NEX days. Still, given how poor the reporting of video-related features is on some of the more photography-centric sites, I suppose it's possible it's there.

does the a5100 have slog2 and will it have similar video quality to the a7s?

I've not seen any mention of s-log in the coverage or press release so far. The list of picture profiles looks the same as it did in NEX days. Still, given how poor the reporting of video-related features is on some of the more photography-centric sites, I suppose it's possible it's there.

a6000 like others said will not have any updates

it's sony style

Well, it should. The implementation of XAVC-S would not be difficult and one thing is not updating  earlier models (Sony's policy) and a different one is offering the better features in the lower end of the line. The a6000 was released in late April as the first of the "new line" of cameras to replace the NEX. Shortly after they released the a5000 and now the a5100. If they had released an a7000 with XAVC I wouldn't expect an update on the lower models, but the a5100 is going to be 100$ cheaper than a6000.

This is their new NEX lineup and won't be replaced by new models until mid-2015 or later. It seems Sony wants to make XAVC-S their new standard codec, like they did with AVCHD. It was on the RX100Mk3, now on the cheap a5100 and for sure will be on the RX10Mk2. Given the timeline, it arrived a little late for the launch of the a6000. What I wouldn't expect is S-LOG2. Until recently, that was a paid upgrade and it is adressed to top-of-the-line cameras.

IMO they messed up the timing of the XAVC-S roll out, in that their mid-range cameras like the A6000 (and even the A7) now look underspecced next to the entry level (here in Japan there's no A3000, so A5100 is now the entry level system camera, apart from all the 5R, 5T, and 5000s still floating around).

I might have picked up an A6000 at the end of the summer, but now I'm going to wait until there's something with a decent-sized grip and top dial, an EVF and XAVC-S. I don't know whether that will be a firmware upgrade for the A6000 (I hope so), an A6100, A7000, or what.