Iscorama owners! Convert your lens into a cinema anamorphic with the Andrew Reid / Andrew Wonder group conversion

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Iscorama anamorphic

The Iscorama is a wonder of vintage optics. No focus breathing, a unique patented focus mechanism, small size and sharp at fast apertures. The beauty is the sheer number of primes you can use it with. Whilst an Iscorama may look expensive at $3000 a pop (used!), a full set of Zeiss master anamorphics cost an eye watering $305,000 ($43,600 per lens).

Now it's about to become even better, but only if we club together as Iscorama users to make this happen...

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Van Diemen conversion makes the iscorama heavier - it might need lens support - and also makes it vignette somewhat less wide. Is the Wonder conversion the same as the Van Diemen one or is it modified? I can use the Nikon e 50mm 1.8 and the Dog Schidt 58mm helios mod lenses with no vignetting. I'd hate to lose that ability?

It's not as significantly heavier than the bare isco. I have never needed support puttin it directly on the taking lens. I find with the way they build the back end it screws in very securely to any 52mm or 58mm lens.

This new version is going to be modified for even closer focus but most important the shorter focus throw. This makes it much better for run find fun shooting. Feel free to email me with other questions.

Whilst an Iscorama may look expensive at $3000 a pop (used!), a full set of Zeiss master anamorphics cost an eye watering $305,000 ($43,600 per lens).

Hi Andrew, good luck with your project.

Does this modification convert the Iscoramas to 2X CinemaScope as loosely implied above?

best

John

Nice project guys.

As a 'rama user I might just be interested in this modification.  Though unfortunately my 'rama tends to only see use when setting up FF58io's of late :( - i think it needs to come out to play more!

Please consider these requests:-

1. incorporate a rear section that is made in two parts (the rear most part removable so user has option to allow the optic to protrude out the back slightly for use on lenses where seating the iscorama deeper into the front of the taking lens.  In effect the rear most part would be a threaded tube of 15mm length or so that can be taken off if required.   Additionally, the rear most portion could be interchanged with a donut type cup with the same mating thread for use when rigged and positioned in front of regularly changed primes.  - if the iscorama could be slid back and fourth on the mattebox rail support, and butted against compact primes etc, the rehousing will be great for hire outs.

1b.. definitely provide a removable lens support leg allowing coupling to rails(to allow sliding back and fourth for prime changes).  hiring something like this to a bunch of muppets on set who have never handled a iscorama would be a worrying prospect imagining them doing taking lens swaps over and over again all day. 

3.  maybe machine primary rehousing from ABS to shave off some weight?  As nice as the metalwork is, It would be nice to avoid adding any more weight onto the filter thread of taking lenses if possible.  No amount of body strength is going to save the 'rama if it is dropped due to a failure of a filter thread.

4. a lovely addition would be to have the focus mech non rotating.  The 150degree turn for 3.5ft-inf would be a dream.  if the diopter no longer rotated during focus, even better!!!  

xxx