IBIS, OIS, DIS, motion-sensing gyro...

Emanuel

A full hand of distinct IBIS (1) OIS (2) DIS (3) OIS+DIS (4) Gyro (5) routes read at/on your own discretion  

9 members have voted

1. 1. IBIS, OIS, DIS, OIS+DIS, gyro...

• A little bit of wobble never-put-me-sick-ever-before-yet !
    • Is there any other need than utmost modern glass?
    • (If digital is the inner world for all today) Any better than solid bits in-camera to bring old school glass to life when needed ?!
    • Moderate use of opticals and digital stabilization, no love for much else today...
    • Let's go straight to post or almost and put this shit to sing how without it we arrive nowhere.

They're far to be the same method to arrive to the same outcome under much variable circumstances. What's your favorite method?

Some food for thought here:

OIS | DIS

2nd sample

OIS on vs off

vs IBIS

2nd sample

..."however neither will fall people into thinking that they're a gimble move"  I believe this quote on minute 04:57 resumes the whole thing anyway...

BTW, here's an interesting article to testify why for some reason R5C has no IBIS at all:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/R3-R5-R6-R7-IBIS-RUINS-footage-shot-at-wide-focal-lengths-I/td-p/379031

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer IBIS, but it have to be good for video. Oly is best, Panasonic and Canon are almost on par, dunno about Nikon. Sony still have some work, and Fuji is worst. But even Fuji is miles better than the Sony's initial generations.

I like a lot the idea of gyro data, and saw VERY good footage from it. But you have to shoot wider than expected, because gyro uses a crop, and the crop factor will be only known when you stabilize on computer.

Coming from the R5C thread:

53 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Digital IS is available in all modes other than RAW. 8k 50/60 is RAW only. 8k 24-30 MP4 supports Digital IS, 4k 100/120 also.

I believe 8K 50/60p is much more forgivable when comes to the use of slowmo @ high resolution...

vs

What do you think?

IBIS + OIS are always better than some digital motion sensor which always ruins the image in one way or another with artefacting, there just no way around this, maybe in the year 2050 we will have AI capable of reconstructing an image perfectly.

There some wobble on the S5 with a wide angle lens, but if you have a wide angle lens with OIS/OSS should the wobble issues not be removed? Considering Panasonic uses the same method as Sony for IBIS + OIS, the sensor only does X - Y axis with roll and lens does pitch and yaw.

AlikGriffin_5-Axis_IBIS.thumb.jpg.890862750926cb55cb192fa4141b6810.jpg

Canon IBIS is pretty mediocre, I would say Sony newer cameras does a better job with IBIS + digital IS in video mode than Canon does, Canon have the same issues as Olympus and Fuji in that they are solely made for photography use, they all seem to suffer when you start panning or doing walks they go all over the place, whereas Panasonic and later Sony cameras seem to really refined their IBIS for video, Sony A7IV does not suffer from these panning issues.

Honestly, Canon is just making excuses with R5C, it should have IBIS LOL, you could always just make it lock itself in place like some cameras do when you do not use it however there is an argument for not using IBIS, it makes the camera 100g lighter, it makes the camera a lot more sturdy, IBIS systems break REALLY easily on impact, but if Canon worried about breaking and the sensor floating around when the IBIS is not in use, I do not understand why they could not just invent in a locking system that locks it in centre.

14 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

IBIS + OIS are always better than some digital motion sensor which always ruins the image in one way or another with artefacting, there just no way around this, maybe in the year 2050 we will have AI capable of reconstructing an image perfectly.

There some wobble on the S5 with a wide angle lens, but if you have a wide angle lens with OIS/OSS should the wobble issues not be removed? Considering Panasonic uses the same method as Sony for IBIS + OIS, the sensor only does X - Y axis with roll and lens does pitch and yaw.

AlikGriffin_5-Axis_IBIS.thumb.jpg.890862750926cb55cb192fa4141b6810.jpg

Canon IBIS is pretty mediocre, I would say Sony newer cameras does a better job with IBIS + digital IS in video mode than Canon does, Canon have the same issues as Olympus and Fuji in that they are solely made for photography use, they all seem to suffer when you start panning or doing walks they go all over the place, whereas Panasonic and later Sony cameras seem to really refined their IBIS for video, Sony A7IV does not suffer from these panning issues.

Honestly, Canon is just making excuses with R5C, it should have IBIS LOL, you could always just make it lock itself in place like some cameras do when you do not use it however there is an argument for not using IBIS, it makes the camera 100g lighter, it makes the camera a lot more sturdy, IBIS systems break REALLY easily on impact, but if Canon worried about breaking and the sensor floating around when the IBIS is not in use, I do not understand why they could not just invent in a locking system that locks it in centre.

Completely agree with you about the Fuji, specially in slow pans, is jumpy as hell. Never used the Canons, but the footages that I saw looks good.

And Olympus was always the best for me, had the E-M5 MK II and was superb. Even the E-M10 MK III, which in theory had in inferior IBIS, was better than Fuji, and on par with my GX9 when I had both. Dunno if they changed something.

• 1 month later...