Sony a7s with s16mm lens possible?

Morten Engelien

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The sensor of the A7s wouldn't resolve full HD anymore if you crop from full frame 35mm (36 x 20mm in 16:9) to Super 16 (12 x 7mm); the factor 3 crop would reduce the camera's video resolution from 4K to 720p. 

AFAIK, the camera offers no such crop mode in-camera, but you can always mount an adapted s16mm lens, shoot 4K with vignetting and crop the recorded image to 720p in post.

The sensor of the A7s wouldn't resolve full HD anymore if you crop from full frame 35mm (36 x 20mm in 16:9) to Super 16 (12 x 7mm); the factor 3 crop would reduce the camera's video resolution from 4K to 720p. 

AFAIK, the camera offers no such crop mode in-camera, but you can always mount an adapted s16mm lens, shoot 4K with vignetting and crop the recorded image to 720p in post.

Ah, okey!  Thanks for letting me know. 

Not necessarily true, the camera has a digital zoom feature that lets you go to 4x zoom in FF mode, which is a crop factor of 4 i believe. There will be a loss of quality for sure though. 

Yes.     This is a great feature of the A7 cameras.

You can set the zoom as either clearzoom (up to 2x) which is fairly lossless or digital zoom (up to 4x) and being variable is much better than cameras that only use 2x or 4x ETC.    You can set it up to use on the fly and can turn fast primes into zooms while recording using this somewhat.     Also means you can use lenses that don't quite cover the Full frame and apply a small amount of zoom like 1.2 or 1.3x to avoid vignetting and shoot away in video mode (as well as stills).     That way it is not quite using the FF but might be close enough.     Of course you can also use the clearzoom/digital zoom in APSC mode.      I am waiting to find a cheap enough APSC 50mm 1.8 stabilized AF lens to try this out on my normal A7.     I would think I might have to use about 1.3x clearzoom for it to work without vignetting.     Much cheaper than the 55 1.8 Zeiss and stabilized to boot.

Yep I have used this feature with my lomo square front to give me a 50mm to 125mm zoom. That is a 2.5x zoom and still gives a 1:1 pixel density with the 2x stretch and downscale of 75% to a 2.4 ratio on an HD timeline. Also I can shoot FF with it, sure it will vignette but all vignetting is remove once cropped to 2.4. The a7s is the perfect camera with a lomo anamorphic prime.