Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I'm not seeing any vignetting with this lens. What focal length did you use it at? 35mm? Do you know if it vignettes at any other focal length?

Watched a video. I guess you can "hack" the connection so that it never goes to S35 unless you turn the camera off. It vignettes under 28mm in FF.

14 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

What focal length did you use it at?

It's not my video. However, it was shot at 35mm in APSC mode.

Their written review is worth a read as well. There are a few interesting observations in there. Google Translate if you don't speak German. 

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-S5-II-mit-Phasen-Autofokus-in-der-Videopraxis--Ueberflieger-in-der-2-000-Euro-Klasse---alles-.html

People are eager this announcement for too long already, I guess.

Seems a winner and irresistible too... to my eyes.

- EAG :- )

PS: Many people have wondered myself straight on private. Hope my link to here to this EOSHD thread and the videos you've posted may clear up current and further doubts ; )

On 1/4/2023 at 7:09 PM, MurtlandPhoto said:

The USB-SSD recording and IP streaming are also unique to the S5iiX. If there's any chance you'll someday want the $200 raw upgrade to the regular S5ii, it's worth just ponying up at the start and getting the S5iiX for these extras IMO.

For sure : P

They seem confident that a Panasonic S2H is going to come along eventually:

On 1/8/2023 at 12:26 PM, Trek of Joy said:

Just an FYI, if you can get the EDU discount at B&H, there are deals to be had. Kinda want to get one to tinker...

Sadly only for U.S. based colleges 😞

A pity as I'm a postgrad engineering student at University of Auckland, would've been cool if I'd been eligible. 

After deciding going full Canon this summer, now this!

I have already investing in RF (3 lenses, 3 adapters and an R7) and I am now split if I have to sell everything and move to Pana..

R6mkII is still 3.200€ here, so is a no go for me for a middling hybrid, pricing of the Pana cameras seem just right and I am really impressed of what I have seen already. If the EF adapter works well, I seriously don't see why not most choose these cameras and slowly built their L lenses collection.

That X camera seems like an amazing deal whatsoever..

Well done Panny..

GH6 and everything else seems a bit overpriced now.. don't they?

Can anyone point me at any advantages the R6mkII have at this point?

The camera is not out yet and we see just some marginal differences in IBIS and AF, I am positive they will be fixed in no time..

The active cooling is incredible at this price point. It will damage Fuji sales as well I believe.

I do love the color science so far. I haven't pixel peep or anything, really, but I just like what I am seeing..

..just..WOW Panny!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

After deciding going full Canon this summer, now this!

I have already investing in RF (3 lenses, 3 adapters and an R7) and I am now split if I have to sell everything and move to Pana..

R6mkII is still 3.200€ here, so is a no go for me for a middling hybrid, pricing of the Pana cameras seem just right and I am really impressed of what I have seen already. If the EF adapter works well, I seriously don't see why not most choose these cameras and slowly built their L lenses collection.

That X camera seems like an amazing deal whatsoever..

Well done Panny..

GH6 and everything else seems a bit overpriced now.. don't they?

Can anyone point me at any advantages the R6mkII have at this point?

The camera is not out yet and we see just some marginal differences in IBIS and AF, I am positive they will be fixed in no time..

The active cooling is incredible at this price point. It will damage Fuji sales as well I believe.

I do love the color science so far. I haven't pixel peep or anything, really, but I just like what I am seeing..

..just..WOW Panny!

I almost did the same thing !
But I sent back the R5 and kept all my L mount lenses. The S1 (and S5) is great , yes the AF is very bad but IBIS and image quality are very good. 

I still have my GH6 but I'm very tempted to sell it before it loses it's value, I agree the it is somewhat overpriced and beside of very nice colours I don't like the image quality so much for some reasons. But it's the only Panasonic camera with 4K 120fps, is it why I maybe not ready to part with it.

I never had the R6 or the R6II but for me the R5 had the advantages of 4K 60 and 120fps without crop compared to the S5II. The R6II has no crop in 4K 60fps but I still prefer what I've seen of the S5 II, even if the R5 and R6 were at the same price. The S5 II could be my favorite camera since my NX1.
But if Panasonic adds 4K60/120fps for the S1II, it will be my perfect camera.

2 hours ago, Robb said:

I really feel fleeced by Panasonic on this. To release this so soon after the GH6 - why was this new PDAF added to the GH6?? Come onnnnn

I sympathize with a lot of people that went with the GH6 for this reason, though it's just the nature of the beast unfortunately. 

The GH6 felt so long overdue at the time that it's hard to say this, but they might've been better off waiting until they could do PDAF before releasing it. Easy to say that now, though. 

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)