Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

The killer IBIS is the feature of this camera that everyone will be chasing. Personally, I think e-mount will have technical limitations to match. After watching Gerald Undone, I'm guessing the AF will simply be good enough that no one will care anymore. Finally, l-mount is relatively open for all manufacturers to join... unlike the recent Canon bullshit... I see some people moving to l-mount soon. This camera is going to sell like gangbusters IMO.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great work Panasonic I've always prefered their image over Canon and Sony and enjoyed their best bang for the buck kind of philosophy, less cripple hammer than the other usual suspects.

I hope this puts them back on the map and they accompany this by bringing out a proper fully rigged cine cam (with evf please) to compete with the c70 and fx6. S52 with EVA2 full frame l-mount would be a winning combination, feel like they need both types of camera for video orientated folk to invest in the l-mount lenses

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

Its kind of cool to see that Pana have sent a review copy to Camera conspiracies 🤤

The fact that new Pana AF is beating the shit out of Canon AF is kind of amazing. Did not expect that.

Has Panny boy ever implemented anything that wasn't at a top level though? Obviously it has gotten significantly better, but when you look at their implementation of IBIS, for example, it was always class leading. Even autofocus, before everyone switched to phase detect, was better than or at least on par with the competition (minus Canon and their PDAF, which beat everyone.) At this point I pretty much expect Panny boy to deliver on whatever new tech or improvements they make.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

The killer IBIS is the feature of this camera that everyone will be chasing. Personally, I think e-mount will have technical limitations to match. After watching Gerald Undone, I'm guessing the AF will simply be good enough that no one will care anymore. Finally, l-mount is relatively open for all manufacturers to join... unlike the recent Canon bullshit... I see some people moving to l-mount soon. This camera is going to sell like gangbusters IMO.

And, ironically, the AF of my X-S10 is kinda of ennerving me now...

(please Panasonic, make a rangefinder S5 II, even with some capped video specs - spoiler, will not happen, hehehehe)

Trying to find a flaw in trading my: S1H, S5 and pair of S1R’s for 3x S5ii’s…

A. Would have preferred a tilt screen but it’s not a dealbreaker.

B. Will I miss not having 47mp stills? Probably not…

C. Other than the stealthy black aesthetic, does the X model (not available until May and too late for me for this year anyway) have anything over the standard model that I would want or need? Doesn’t appear so as I thought it might have a CF Express slot but the internal ProRes is limited to 1080. ‘Only’ 200 mbps (or is that mbs…but who cares) which is fine for me.

I’m away at the moment but I think 3x bodies plus 2x battery grips is going to suit me…

Already have: Sigma 16-28 and 28-70 f2.8 compact zooms for video plus; 20, 35 and 85 f1.4’s for stills.

I also have the f4 24-105 if I do need longer.

I think it’s looking healthy for L Mount 👍

53 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

C. Other than the stealthy black aesthetic, does the X model (not available until May and too late for me for this year anyway) have anything over the standard model that I would want or need? Doesn’t appear so as I thought it might have a CF Express slot but the internal ProRes is limited to 1080. ‘Only’ 200 mbps (or is that mbs…but who cares) which is fine for me.

4 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

All-I codecs, but you might not need them.

The USB-SSD recording and IP streaming are also unique to the S5iiX. If there's any chance you'll someday want the $200 raw upgrade to the regular S5ii, it's worth just ponying up at the start and getting the S5iiX for these extras IMO.

11 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

The USB-SSD recording and IP streaming are also unique to the S5iiX. If there's any chance you'll someday want the $200 raw upgrade to the regular S5ii, it's worth just ponying up at the start and getting the S5iiX for these extras IMO.

Yep, that is the only consideration to make. For just 200 more, the S5 II X seems to be the best way to go. I honestly would have expected them to have external raw options in the S5 II since the s5 already has prores and b-raw support.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Trying to find a flaw in trading my: S1H, S5 and pair of S1R’s for 3x S5ii’s…

A. Would have preferred a tilt screen but it’s not a dealbreaker.

B. Will I miss not having 47mp stills? Probably not…

I’m away at the moment but I think 3x bodies plus 2x battery grips is going to suit me…

Already have: Sigma 16-28 and 28-70 f2.8 compact zooms for video plus; 20, 35 and 85 f1.4’s for stills.

I also have the f4 24-105 if I do need longer.

I think it’s looking healthy for L Mount 👍

Maybe some more tests for AF in stills - looks like a little less precise than in video, but probably is already better than the DFD only in the cameras that you have. Rolling shutter could also be an issue, but you already know it since it looks like the same S5 sensor but with PDAF.

Looks like that for your case, is a good way to go - but I would wait for more tests, if possible.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Maybe some more tests for AF in stills - looks like a little less precise than in video, but probably is already better than the DFD only in the cameras that you have. Rolling shutter could also be an issue, but you already know it since it looks like the same S5 sensor but with PDAF.

Looks like that for your case, is a good way to go - but I would wait for more tests, if possible.

AF for stills was already great so for me it was really just reliable AF for video and 30 minute 4k 50p 10 bit record limit that was ‘missing’ from the S5.

Rolling shutter a non-issue for me as my use case is either static on tripod, handheld static or gimbal, ie panning is not a thing in my world.

I’m not watching all the reviews out there but seen 3 from folks I know and trust and if it’s what they say it is, it’s what they say it is.

Ticks my boxes other than having a flippy screen and I would rather have had at least one CF Express card slot but neither are deal-breakers.

Time to get some trade-in prices I think. Just had all 4 of my current units refurbed and serviced so good to go…

I believe the EVF is better than the S5. So it looks like I'll be selling the S1 to buy an S5mk2 and if things go well this year I'll sell the S5 for a S5mk2X. Better EVF and AF have been my musts. 4k 50p crop is a bummer but not the end of the world. If the AF works when using Sigma lenses it'll be a real hit.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)