Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

S5mk2, with all intra codecs and downsampled hd, yes please!:) S16 mode in 2K+, yes please! No camera offers the beauty of full width S16 in 4to3 format other than the sensor of the Digital Bolex. I don't know if it offers open gate filming though. So it would be awesome, if Panny cameras come to offer at least the modes of a GH5.

My S1 does not even offer a 2x Digi zoom. My GX85 does on the other hand. With small details like that a good camera could become a great camera. In regard of pure image quality and digital pipeline the S1, S1H and S5 line of cameras are still the most impressive hybrid cameras imo, equalled by Canon 5R and Nikon Z9. Though it takes grading efforts to unleash the Panny cinema beast.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

S5mk2, with all intra codecs and downsampled hd, yes please!:) S16 mode in 2K+, yes please! No camera offers the beauty of full width S16 in 4to3 format other than the sensor of the Digital Bolex. I don't know if it offers open gate filming though. So it would be awesome, if Panny cameras come to offer at least the modes of a GH5.

My S1 does not even offer a 2x Digi zoom. My GX85 does on the other hand. With small details like that a good camera could become a great camera. In regard of pure image quality and digital pipeline the S1, S1H and S5 line of cameras are still the most impressive hybrid cameras imo, equalled by Canon 5R and Nikon Z9. Though it takes grading efforts to unleash the Panny cinema beast.

Do you think l-mount could support c-mount lenses?

GH5 has a 1.4x mode as extele option, giving S16 sensor gate in 4k. It also offers a 2x Digi zoom giving a 2.5K wide image with the image circle of 2/3 inch broadcast. This is some nifty flexibility.

S1 offers S35 gate in 4K as we know, but also 3.1x crop in HD, giving us the gate size of approx 16mm film. I adapted an Angie 75mm c-mount lens in S35 mode. For S16 lenses it' 3.1x crop in Hd only. It's a start but would be nice to have much more flexibility with that beautiful sensor. I have a 35mm c-mount lens which covers S35 perfectly. I need to give it more exposure for sure! Also minimizes the rolling shutter to 15ms.

So one of the youtubers shares the following rumors:

S5mk2 - 2000$ 

S5mk2X - 2200$ .. and it has 6k60 FF! 

If that will appear to be true (only 5 more hours till we can verify that), I say we have a big win for Panasonic. 6k60p camera with PDAF, very good IBIS and all the Panasonic goodies for only 2200$ frankly sound very tempting.

59 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

So one of the youtubers shares the following rumors:

S5mk2 - 2000$ 

S5mk2X - 2200$ .. and it has 6k60 FF! 

If that will appear to be true (only 5 more hours till we can verify that), I say we have a big win for Panasonic. 6k60p camera with PDAF, very good IBIS and all the Panasonic goodies for only 2200$ frankly sound very tempting.

6K60p no crop?

Adorama had their video up briefly, must be private now. Mentioned improved IBIS with an "active" mode, presumably just an additional crop like other brands' active modes. I wonder if the IBIS itself has been upgraded, the S5's was supposed to be a small step down from the S1's and S1H's.

As much as I want to believe 6K60, it seems unlikely, assuming these cameras are using the older IMX410 sensor, which apparently can't do full-width 60p even at 4K. I'd be happy if they gave us a 60p 3:2 s35 anamorphic mode.

@Amazeballs
i gave your post a lol, but because of an overflow of ridicilous infantile joy! It's a "like" of course! 2200 for that kind of goodies. I will buy that thing, if it delivers that and if it manages to keep Panasonics other high qualities regarding image quality and usuability. After purchase i will feel like a thief. Cannot be true. Rather something like 4k60 with S35 crop, same sensor as A7mk3, which the S line sensor seemingly was an alteration of and all that for no less than 2800 Euro. 2200 is ridiciously low, if without caveheats.

On 1/1/2023 at 7:22 AM, John Matthews said:

According to a recent interview, they mentioned a smaller M43 camera is on the horizon. This year, not sure but I’m ready.

Their last lens release was the Leica branded version of the 12-35 f/2.8? Or are you referring to the 9mm (which I now have)?

I’d also like this camera, but I’m fine without the evf altogether… I want the small size above all.

Saw that mention for a smaller camera, and hope that it would be another GX. But my bets are on a G100 sucessor - that`s the way that I saw Panny going with m43 - high end video (GH line) and vlogger. The 9mm (amazing lens, one that I would buy in a heartbeat if I've stayed with the format) is target for the second crowd. The revamped 12-35 is for the first (albeit good for stills too). But before these two lenses, only the f/1.7 zooms.

I need an EVF - I use my cameras both for stills and video. For the same reason, like rangefinder-like cameras, because they attract much less attention. And looks like they are disspearing - no GXs from Panasonic, the Pens are dead, only have the Fujifilm X-E4 (which was the camera I was expecting most but...no IBIS and much less controls than the X-E3, it was a replacement for the X-A line, for me a big deception) and the Sony A7C (interesting size and looks, but with a terrible EVF, bigger lenses, and I doubt that will be a A7C MK II).

I'm for small size too. Gone to Fuji since was the almost only way to go (other APS-C mirrorless lines are a joke - the Canon R7 is very interesting, but almost no lenses and DSLR style). Fuji zooms are very good and comparable in size with the m43 zooms in size, weight and price - but a tad larger for my tastes (that's why I never had a Oly Pro zoom in the past). Hope that more lenses like the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 appears - large aperture, smaller size, good plastics to keep the weight down.

No interest in FF for the moment. Except the A7C, all bodies are "look at me I'm (pretending) to be a pro" DSLR style, and zooms are much bigger. They could get my attention if the make small zooms with f/4 or 5.6 with very good quality - which I doubt that would appear. Yeah, you can get small primes, but (specially for travel) I need zooms.

WIll always love m43 - my Pen E-P1 and GH2 will never be sold, as the Panny 12-32 and the Oly 45mm f/1.8. Miss the 45-175 zoom (is exactly the kind of zoom that I'm talking about - small, light, good IQ).  

It looks like a good upgrade from the original S5. Would have been fun with a new sensor that can do 4k120 but then again S5 is low end segment so I'm guessing they're saving that for the S1 sequel. Phase Detection AF is huge. Also all the prores improvements that they keep delivering are on point.

39 minutes ago, matthere said:

Holy shit - looks like Panasonic have a winner, at least for the price. If only Panasonic had PDAF since the beginning of the L mount, market could be very different now.

Looks like @MrSMW will be a happy camper. And, if I had the intention to move to FF, as an amateur, this could be my number one choice.

35 minutes ago, andjo said:

It looks like a good upgrade from the original S5. Would have been fun with a new sensor that can do 4k120 but then again S5 is low end segment so I'm guessing they're saving that for the S1 sequel. Phase Detection AF is huge. Also all the prores improvements that they keep delivering are on point.

How are people thinking of this upgrade compared to a7iv, fx30, r6 ii 

6 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

How are people thinking of this upgrade compared to a7iv, fx30, r6 ii 

I think it is very much competitive with the cameras above. PDAF, fantstic IBIS and lots of pro-video tools. Really glad they have finally made such a camera. I agree with Gerald that in terms of value for money S52 is the next A7III. I hope Panasonic sells a shit tone of them and more lens mafucatures will enter L-mount alliance.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)