Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

So it seems a lot of YouTubers are in Japan right now at a Panasonic event. 

https://www.43rumors.com/lots-of-creators-are-all-in-tokyo-for-a-big-panasonic-event-new-lidar-autofocus-related-announcement/

43Rumors speculates it's related to a partnership between Panasonic and DJI, re: Lidar AF. 

It would seem to be a significant announcement though, given I think this is the first time they've flown people to Japan for an event in years (certainly pre-pandemic.) They didn't do that for the GH6 did they? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its most likely either a new camera made in joint with Leica, S1 mark 2 or the S5 mark 2 otherwise that would not bother gathering big YouTubers if there was no new system to test out.

But we are all dreaming of a LiDAR module that works on all their cameras.

I guess a man can dream.

Dear Panasonic

I have 3 of 4 FF bodies back from being refurbed and just waiting on the fourth.

If you get this right, my finger is paused over MPB while I can get the best price I still can for the lot.

However, if you don't (get it right...for me/my needs) I will continue to use your products throughout 2023 at least until either you do (get it right...for me/my needs) or I decide to switch brand.

Sincerely

Me.

Speculation 01

Could be a G9 (M4/3) successor. I hope not because, well 4/3rds... I know it has it's fans, but I am not one of them, - it just isn't for me. 

Speculation 02

Could be a hotshoe mounted lidar device but hmmm, would you really fly out a load of YouTubers for such a thing or just announce it? I would suspect more likely announce with a single official showcase of it's capabilities and then later send out units for folks to play with like they do with lenses.

Speculation 03

Leica & Panny did announce earlier this year that they were working on something. This could be it, but no mention of Leica having anything to do with this announcement so...

Speculation 04

New model replacing both S1 and S5. If there is to be a new body, I think they will amalgamate the two into a single unit. Probably in different flavours; the 'all-rounder', the hi res photo model and the video-centric model: S2, S2R, S2H.

Please and FFS, use the S1H screen.

Here is a hint that on this event Panasonic (and DJI) will present LIDAR type of auto focus tech. Saw on one of the pictures the guy from MAKE. ART. NOW. youtube channel. He doesn't use Panasonic cameras but had an extensive review of LIDAR tech on DJI RS3 gimbal and also reviewed DJI Ronin 4D. He is more connected to DJI than Panasonic. So DJI seems to be involved and it will be most likely a joint event and presentation. Lets see :)

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Could be a hotshoe mounted lidar device but hmmm, would you really fly out a load of YouTubers for such a thing or just announce it? I would suspect more likely announce with a single official showcase of it's capabilities and then later send out units for folks to play with like they do with lenses.

Maybe, maybe not. 

If a Lidar module was somehow less important than a big lens announcement (and even for lens announcements, the big companies sometimes bring in influencers, such as if it is an important new telephoto lens). Then I could see them not making a big song and dance about it. Perhaps because it is just the first generation Lidar module, perhaps it is a bit rough around the edges in performance??

However.... if this Lidar module announcement is bigger than another new camera announcement (let's be honest, that's how big some of us are hoping it is!) then they certainly will fly in and involve as many influencers as possible. 

image.png.d8aaf01998378ae192a54cba7567a3a7.pngimage.png.db93bfd521b487a164b8a0797e2ab479.png

Do any of these seem like hints at a Lidar module?? Nope, more likely a Panasonic S5mk2?? 

Oh wait a second... 10 to 25mm lens??? That's 100% MFT. 

Very sorry @MrSMW , this is going to make some of us very happy, but you very sad: guess it is a G9 mk2?? 

We know that DJI LIDAR module will work with cameras and without the need of RS 3 gimbal. Their module however still needs an external motor and smartphone for the application to move / focus the lens. Maybe Panasonic will demo a new camera where LIDAR will focus the lens internally without the need of external motor and smartphone. Just a speculation.

1 hour ago, stephen said:

We know that DJI LIDAR module will work with cameras and without the need of RS 3 gimbal. Their module however still needs an external motor and smartphone for the application to move / focus the lens. Maybe Panasonic will demo a new camera where LIDAR will focus the lens internally without the need of external motor and smartphone. Just a speculation.

That would be great.

15 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It's probably wishful thinking but I still think it might be something significant. That the people I've seen are video shooters, it'd be weird that they were flown for a photo centric release. 

I suppose we'll find out over the next couple days. 

Maybe it is a new vlogging camera, such as a G100mk2?? I hope not, G100 was such a flop. 

Perhaps some video focused camera, like a GH6S? I doubt it, I think the GH5S was such a niche camera, that while very good, I don't expect they'll make every generation. More likely they'll skip generations, and then perhaps in the future we'll see a GH7S?? Skip enough generation, then waaaay in the future, a GH9S etc

13 hours ago, stephen said:

Maybe also this new DJI/Panasonic Lidar module will work across all their mounts, not just the G9/GH5/GH6 but their L Mount cameras too? That would both explain the MFT camera seen in the photo, and make @MrSMW happy. 

10 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Panasonic didn't even give the flagship GH6 this kind of treatment, so I highly doubt it is a G9ii. With all the little hints combined I really think it's either a new camera release with truly improved autofocus OR an autofocus module for existing cameras OR both 🙂 

It's waaaaaaaay tooo soon for a GH7? The GH6 came out just earlier this year! We're not quite yet at a full year. Not even in the peak era of DSLR/mirrorless sales did we ever see the lifecycle of a flagship camera be less than a year!! (and now, in 2022, I expect the lifecycles to be much longer than average, due to the much smaller markets they're selling into)

Maaaaaybe (but I don't think so) it is a "GH6mk2", but anything with a massively improved autofocus they're not going to just call "mk2". It will be named "the GH7". 

10 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Some sources mention a new AF system to be introduced...

ohhhh... that's a new piece of info I didn't know about! That Panasonic had a new PTZ camera already, which uses PDAF. 

That waaaaay increases the odds there is a new mirrorless camera with PDAF. 

This new camera though is a 1" sensor, with no interchangeable lenses, and isn't out yet. (going to be in early 2023)

https://business.panasonic.com.au/professional-camera/remote-ptz-camera-systems 

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)