Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

17 hours ago, Kisaha said:

After deciding going full Canon this summer, now this!

I have already investing in RF (3 lenses, 3 adapters and an R7) and I am now split if I have to sell everything and move to Pana..

R6mkII is still 3.200€ here, so is a no go for me for a middling hybrid, pricing of the Pana cameras seem just right and I am really impressed of what I have seen already. If the EF adapter works well, I seriously don't see why not most choose these cameras and slowly built their L lenses collection.

That X camera seems like an amazing deal whatsoever..

Well done Panny..

GH6 and everything else seems a bit overpriced now.. don't they?

Can anyone point me at any advantages the R6mkII have at this point?

The camera is not out yet and we see just some marginal differences in IBIS and AF, I am positive they will be fixed in no time..

The active cooling is incredible at this price point. It will damage Fuji sales as well I believe.

I do love the color science so far. I haven't pixel peep or anything, really, but I just like what I am seeing..

..just..WOW Panny!

When I decided to ditch Sony for good - and when I decided to ditch Micro 4/3, I was bummed at all of the system lenses that I had and sold for not enough money so I've decided that for now, for the most part, I'll just get EF lenses and adapt - the Canon adapter for the R5 autofocuses about as well as I need and I also get the bonus of having a built-in ND filter tray so I don't need to bring other ND's with me.

The only exceptions will be lenses that are totally unique to a system (800mm f/11!), lenses that have some truly major improvement for a given system (the RF 70-200 f/4L is shockingly tiny and still pretty good), and GFX lenses (some EF lenses work fine on GFX, some don't - plus every GF lens I've used (except the 80/1.7) is freakin' incredible).

Anyway.  This strategy makes jumping systems easy once the vendor gets complacent.  I moved to Sony mirrorless from Canon years ago because EF bodies stagnated and they kept releasing new cameras that were the same as the last one, but with only one or two spec bumps where Sony was going crazy with improvements - not to mention the first A7s was mindblowing for low light on a consumer camera.  Then...  Sony started releasing a bunch of ho-hum updates... and Canon suddenly had the R5 which, aside from early overheating shenanigans, is incredible...  by mostly having lenses that work with every camera, I won't get stuck to a system where the vendor decides to stop innovating because it's hard to move away with thousands invested in lenses.

Anyway.  EF lenses are often not the greatest, but also are often good enough for anything I need.  I strongly suggest the strategy to everybody!

(Also, adapt all manual focus lenses to Leica M mount and you'll only ever need Leica M adapters for your cameras)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

When I decided to ditch Sony for good - and when I decided to ditch Micro 4/3, I was bummed at all of the system lenses that I had and sold for not enough money so I've decided that for now, for the most part, I'll just get EF lenses and adapt - the Canon adapter for the R5 autofocuses about as well as I need and I also get the bonus of having a built-in ND filter tray so I don't need to bring other ND's with me.

The only exceptions will be lenses that are totally unique to a system (800mm f/11!), lenses that have some truly major improvement for a given system (the RF 70-200 f/4L is shockingly tiny and still pretty good), and GFX lenses (some EF lenses work fine on GFX, some don't - plus every GF lens I've used (except the 80/1.7) is freakin' incredible).

Anyway.  This strategy makes jumping systems easy once the vendor gets complacent.  I moved to Sony mirrorless from Canon years ago because EF bodies stagnated and they kept releasing new cameras that were the same as the last one, but with only one or two spec bumps where Sony was going crazy with improvements - not to mention the first A7s was mindblowing for low light on a consumer camera.  Then...  Sony started releasing a bunch of ho-hum updates... and Canon suddenly had the R5 which, aside from early overheating shenanigans, is incredible...  by mostly having lenses that work with every camera, I won't get stuck to a system where the vendor decides to stop innovating because it's hard to move away with thousands invested in lenses.

Anyway.  EF lenses are often not the greatest, but also are often good enough for anything I need.  I strongly suggest the strategy to everybody!

(Also, adapt all manual focus lenses to Leica M mount and you'll only ever need Leica M adapters for your cameras)

I may just do this. With the fringer EF-NZ this strategy can definitely work for me on my Nikon Z6.

Best route is to adapt EF and get sigma glass, that way you can get working AF on a Sony body if you ever go that route

16 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I sympathize with a lot of people that went with the GH6 for this reason, though it's just the nature of the beast unfortunately. 

The GH6 felt so long overdue at the time that it's hard to say this, but they might've been better off waiting until they could do PDAF before releasing it. Easy to say that now, though. 

I dunno, the GH6 was already very "late" in coming. Every month further delayed would be quite bad for the GH Series. 

Imagine if the GH6 didn't come out until mid this year? That might have been a bit too deadly for the GH Series. 

Well that's it, deal done; S5 and S1H being 'traded' for a pair of S5ii's. MPB collecting tomorrow, new boys on pre-order...

I would have preferred a pair of S5iix's, purely for their look (don't need their spec, - anything over 200mbs not required) but as they are not available until end of May/early June and my next season starts end of March...

I'm going to miss my S1H for sure, but this is going to be a better pairing for my video needs being:

A. Identical bodies.

B. Both having a built in fan rather than just the S1H (though the S5 never overheated a single time).

C. The AF of course for which I have a need, especially with regard to shooting log because shooting that only made the AF worse with previous Lumix cameras.

D. No 30 minute time limit as with the S5 which was a pain.

Body A will be paired with the Sigma 16-28mm f2.8 and Body B with the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 and that's happy days for the forseeable future. My only wish would have been the tilt screen of the S1H (or even the S1/S1R) but that is the ONLY compromise with this camera for me. For my video needs anyway...

For stills, sticking with my trusty S1R's for the time being. I had already sold off my f2 Sigma primes. Loved them, but going forward, really wanted something a bit faster for the low light stuff so bought 3x f1.4's, the; 20, 35 and 85.

I'm in no rush to replace them and had considered a complete S5ii lineup, but I reckon either Panasonic or Leica will come out with something maybe for next year that will update the S1R significantly enough for me to replace them.

The ideal now would be an S5iiR model, but an S2R or something Leica flavoured would do it.

On the other hand, I might just trade the pair of them for a third S5ii body as a 3 body set up rather than a 4 works better...except during wedding ceremonies and speeches unless I switch to a 3x zoom set up for those times.

We'll see but glad I stuck with Lumix after considering; OM-1, XH2/S and even a wholesale switch to Sony.

Faith restored in Lumix/L Mount. Hadn't really lost it as such but I had a concern that they might just blow it and not go phase detect but realistically, that would have been suicide for them.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I dunno, the GH6 was already very "late" in coming. Every month further delayed would be quite bad for the GH Series. 

Imagine if the GH6 didn't come out until mid this year? That might have been a bit too deadly for the GH Series. 

I agree for the most part, though that damage could've been blunted somewhat by better communication overall. The thing that was frustrating about the GH6 was how mum they were about it. The less they said the more antsy the user base got. 

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I do sympathize with those that bought the GH6. That's one of the reasons I will probably always buy used and stick with slightly older cameras. 

6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I would have preferred a pair of S5iix's, purely for their look

A black marker can fix that 😉

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

agree for the most part, though that damage could've been blunted somewhat by better communication overall.

"better communication" would have been even worse, it would have killed sales of the GH6 itself!

5 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

That's one of the reasons I will probably always buy used and stick with slightly older cameras. 

Agreed. Buying secondhand means someone else takes the brunt of the loss on depreciation, and you're also able to clearly see into the "future" as you know what's coming down the pipeline for the next couple of models. (because they've already been released!)

Regarding GH6, information regarding image quality is very contradictory. Noise reduction and anti rolling shutter algorithms messing with the image too much to be reliable enough to trump a GH5II by a meaningful margin, if at all.

I would have been interested by the promise of a pocket4K image in a GH5 body. But it´s not like that it seems. It has proved to hold onto colour and resolution much better than a GH5s in low light but that on locked shots with little onscreen movement. Forum friends have reported here that digital mambo jambo, 3D noise reduction is degrading the otherwise potentially great image quality from this camera. I hope to get more insight into this, as I am still interested in this intriguing camera. Btw no Prores for UHD modes and no Prores LT is just a super dumb move! No battery grip, wtf.

For FF, please, Timecode and 4K60p full frame and open gate, 10bit 422, All Intra, rolling shutter less than 15ms in open gate. Nothing else needed. Make it 3000 Euro. With SDI and internal ND for a 4000 model. Thank you!

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

A black Sharpie was exactly what I did with the big white LUMIX logo on the front.

Had to return it to standard for the items I’m selling however….

I just tape gaffer tape on it, that way the camera doesnt look like a million bucks when travelling + I can pull it off whenever I decide to sell the camera again.

I thank God Panny kept the sensor, amazing organic look from it you cannot take for granted these days.

I hope S1II will have the stacked version of that sensor which is found in the Sony A9m2, giving us 4k120p FF.

I own the MC-21 adapter for a long time now but cannot wait to test my Canon glass with the adapter on the S5II and CAF.

If it can even get 80% close to native performance, that is a true keeper for sure.

Its also perfect for gimbal setup, no need to use complex wireless focus pullers anymore and lots of extra battery to power it all.

I dream that Panny also updates the LX15 with their newer 1 inch sensor which was their test bed for the phase detect system.

And their entire MFT line up.

2 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Its also perfect for gimbal setup, no need to use complex wireless focus pullers anymore and lots of extra battery to power it all.

Should be and I am due delivery of the DJI RS3 any day now.

I’ve never really got on with using a gimbal and the first one I bought, I sent back before ever using it in anger.

Ditto the second.

Nearly also with the third but I got it working last year and for my limited use, it did have a place in my kit…except it’s payload was borderline so I just traded it for the RS3 and it’s one click lock/unlock function which massively transforms how/where/when I will use it in 2023.

Also looking forward to shooting some shallower DOF material with it with the S5ii because with the S5, dared not shoot anything faster than f4 or it risked losing it and in fast paced run & gun, haven’t got the time for that shit 🤪

Dream on on the compact though. They announced last year no more compacts 😧

On 1/14/2023 at 5:00 PM, MrSMW said:

Should be and I am due delivery of the DJI RS3 any day now.

I’ve never really got on with using a gimbal and the first one I bought, I sent back before ever using it in anger.

Ditto the second.

Nearly also with the third but I got it working last year and for my limited use, it did have a place in my kit…except it’s payload was borderline so I just traded it for the RS3 and it’s one click lock/unlock function which massively transforms how/where/when I will use it in 2023.

Also looking forward to shooting some shallower DOF material with it with the S5ii because with the S5, dared not shoot anything faster than f4 or it risked losing it and in fast paced run & gun, haven’t got the time for that shit 🤪

Dream on on the compact though. They announced last year no more compacts 😧

You are not getting the RS3 mini? My gimbal FeiyuTech AK2000s is like 1,2kg already + Samsung NX1 with its 16-50mm F2-2.8 makes that gimbal extremely unyielding, it brings back memories of my military days holding a 3kg rifle all day really did a number on you. 

Zhiyun Crane M3 seems almost half the size of my AK2000s and much lighter.
Overall in event shoots I found gimbals to be cumbersome and more often than not actually limited shots I could get specially among crowds of people, eventually I just detached the gimbal and shot handheld with the S5, worked way better that way, got better shots, got moments I would have lost otherwise, kept having to power down the gimbal when not in use and then power it on again which took 2 - 3 seconds. 

Never again, oh and people do not seem to care much when you are holding the dinky little S5 and a Sigma prime, but a gimbal? Oh man LOL

Yes I will dream, LX15 actually shoots pretty good video with the V-log hack and its a really easy camera to work with, fits on some smartphone gimbals too because of its low weight. 

16 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

You are not getting the RS3 mini?

So new, I had already pre-ordered its bigger brother. When it arrives, I’ll take a look and maybe reconsider for the new smaller one, but…

17 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Overall in event shoots I found gimbals to be cumbersome and more often than not actually limited shots I could get specially among crowds of people

Yep and my use case is strictly limited to really only one certain time and that is on my couple shoot during a wedding. Otherwise yes, handheld rest of the day for me also.

The additional bonus to me as a one man band is I can also leave the dedicated gimbal camera on the gimbal which itself is on a lightweight tripod for ceremonies and speeches or anything else where I just want a longer static shot, plus it’s keeping the camera battery topped up.

But roaming around all day long doing ‘everything’ on a gimbal? Nah, me neither both for the logistics but also the look, ie, I don’t want very much of it anyway.

Played with LUMIX S5II a bit at our local film festival.  The guys from the San Diego camera shop, Nelson Camera, came to the event and showcased their gear with one of the LUMIX ambassadors.

Anyone in SoCal?  I'd recommend visiting those guys as they're really adopting the video aspect of cameras these days.  They got loads of stuff for sale and rent, btw, and are leaning into the indy film scene.

Hard not to drool over what LUMIX has got going on once you have this new kit in your hands.

Funny, 'cause meanwhile the film festival itself was running around with GH1's taking a bunch of stills and video with those cameras...

38 minutes ago, stephen said:

HIDDEN S5ii Feature NOBODY is Talking About!

Lol, I saw that video and I usually quite like Sam Holland but the title is a little bit clickbaity. For anyone that's interested he's talking about focus transition which has been around since the GH5. Maybe the reason that nobody's talking about it is because everyone has been aware of its existence since 2017! I guess it was missing from the S5 though, which is what he seems to be most familiar with.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)