Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

17 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Did you watch the Tony Northrup video? He used the Canon 24-70 f2.8 with the Sigma adapter, and it worked really well I thought. He moved back and forth, did the "put the object in front of the camera to focus" deal all these people love (that I hate), and had it wide open because he's all about da TONEH!

That is pretty incredible then. Sigma clearly stated their adapter did not support CAF for EF lenses. Even if Panasonic's AF does quite match Sony or Canon, from all of the reviews I've seen it is good enough for what I would need.

14 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Yeah, that's looking really good on Kai's video - at least in terms of tracking.  I didn't notice any pulsing, but on the other hand, nearly every clip/edit of that part of the video was only about 2 seconds long and with a lot of movement.  The pulsing is easiest to see when the subject is sitting mostly still.

The S5II apparently uses both PDAF and DFD so I would imagine there could be times where DFD still rears its ugly head. Panasonic just couldn't let DFD die a graceful death.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I liked the menus of the GH5 but the menus on the S1 are a horror to me btw. I imagine it's the same with the S5. The interface to dial through the menu is pure horror to me indeed. Maybe that's another reason why i am not willing to use my S1 much. 

The S5's menus are definitely a real PITA but I think its just because it has so many options, not sure how they could have made it better. When I shot with the S5 all I did was set up my Favorites menu and never went into the other menus. Once you do that the S5 is a real joy to shoot with. Also, I have the R7 now and the menus are way better....but I also have nowhere near the level of customization or tools that the S5 had. I will take cluttered menus that I can filter via a Favorites menu any day over less customizability.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Re. menus, barely consider them with these things…

I set things up how I want and then rarely, if ever go back into them other than for stuff like formatting cards, checking time sync on multiple bodies etc.

Never had any issues with any of them really…

Same here, the main trick is to use the Favorites menu.  I do try to learn the different menu options intimately though, the worst thing you want to happen is a setting gets changed mid shoot and you can't figure out how to change it back or you get into a situation where you need to change an obscure setting and don't remember where it is.

I think a really hard question to answer now is if I had to pick today would I go with the Canon R7, R6II or the S5II. My biggest gripe with the S5 has been fixed or at least AF is now useable in my book, on paper the S5II really blows away the R7, and I would trust the S5II to not overheat any day over the R6II.

10 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Hi Dave, if you have Sigma lenses more AF tests with them. How good if AF locking onto one person in a group or scene with various people. How good is magnify to check focus while filming? (only Jordan from DP review has mentioned that I think). Let us know what firmware you are on! I think Panasonic should have made every reviewer stat exactly which firmware they are on as there seems to be some confusion there.

Ok great question. I'll check on that. I'm on the current firmware!

I must say... I do really love this camera. Disclaimer being Panasonic is loaning me the camera and lenses and paid for an entire Tokyo trip. 

I'm trying to be as objective as possible, but the AF performance has been surprisingly good. I love the IBIS and the color science is great. It doesn't feel as premium as my OM-1 or even an R5... but this isn't in that price bracket. The fact that this camera is this good, all while being under $2k is actually a big deal. 

Makes me excited for an S2H... or other flagships. I still love micro 4/3 and think the 10-25 panny/leica is one of the best lenses ever. I can't wait for a GH version of this camera with phase detect!

On 1/5/2023 at 5:08 AM, John Matthews said:

After watching Gerald Undone, I'm guessing the AF will simply be good enough that no one will care anymore.

Exactly!! These early first "reviews" all say that AF performance is very very close, with Sony only marginally ahead. (and with Sony being by far a bigger sponsor overall, you have to wonder how much unconscious bias might be going on....)

And we all know it often takes a lot of time to get the most out of an AF system, to know all its quirks and settings. Thousands of people have been spending hundreds of thousands of hours using and figuring out Sony AF over the last few years.

While the S5mk2 isn't even shipping yet.

Wouldn't shock me if after a year of people using the S5mk2, learning and understanding it, that perhaps Panasonic AF comes out on top as #1 now.

But anyway... why even care, we're arguing over the last 0.1% of AF performance? We're splitting hairs.

I think it is time to agree there are now more important things to consider about a camera than the AF!

On 1/5/2023 at 5:08 AM, John Matthews said:

Finally, l-mount is relatively open for all manufacturers to join... unlike the recent Canon bullshit...

Yup, Canon made a move for their short term benefit that will long term harm them. 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:29 AM, Amazeballs said:

The fact that new Pana AF is beating the shit out of Canon AF is kind of amazing. Did not expect that.

Bingo! When Panasonic's AF is beating what was just a few short years ago the "amazingly best AF" from Canon, then we know these AF debates can be over. 

Who cares who exactly has the number one spot in this exact moment in time, be it Sony/Canon/Nikon/Panasonic/whoever? It's like caring if the Nikon D4 or Canon 1D X has the better AF for photography?? That kind of debate between photographers ceased to be relevant to 99% of us! And now it looks like we're reaching that point in autofocus for videographers as well? 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, newfoundmass said:

Also Geeky Nerdy Tech is in Australia, where it's summer, and says there's no overheating issues, which is nice.

Yeah, I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like the competition do their record length tests / overheating tests at say 22C (no surprise if people in the real world find theirs to overheat on a hot day...) while Panasonic did their test on the S5mk2 at 40C? (a much fair and tougher temperature to test it at!) 

On 1/5/2023 at 7:14 AM, MrSMW said:

Trying to find a flaw in trading my: S1H, S5 and pair of S1R’s for 3x S5ii’s…

Maybe for this season trade the S5 for a S5ii, but keep your S1R (so you're not giving up high resolution yet) and perhaps 50/50 as to if you keep your S1H as well or not. 

That way you still have one (or two) S5ii for when you need top notch AF, but then for next season you can grab one (or two) S5Xmk2 once they're already out. 

Might be the best middle ground compromise, due to the timings of the releases. 

Here is a quick HDMI lag solution for S5mk2 from Gerald:

S5 II Update: Regarding the HDMI lag, there is an option in the menu to turn off "Sound Output (HDMI)". Doing so will prevent audio from going to the external device, but will significantly improve the delay issue. Night and day difference. Not ideal, but might help some users.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Maybe for this season trade the S5 for a S5ii, but keep your S1R (so you're not giving up high resolution yet) and perhaps 50/50 as to if you keep your S1H as well or not. 

This is what I already decided and that is indeed to keep my pair of S1R’s for primarily stills duty (plus a small amount of video at certain specific times) but trading my S5 and S1H for a pair of S5ii’s.

The only thing I prefer over the standard model with the X is the stealth black, but I have a Sharpie and know how to use it so… 😎

And that’s it, I’m done for at least this coming season/year.

Beyond that, I’ll take a look/interest in whatever they do next, whether that be an S5iiR or an S2R, but I don’t want or need anything more now. I’m done.

Actually, I do ‘want’ something and that is ideally 3 identical bodies and identical in every way so the system is truly interchangeable, but I am happy to wait until such a situation occurs whenever that may be.

I think the only thing really missing is the GH6's LCD. I wish they had put that on the X version.

I've never managed to get my S5 to overheat. I've left it for an hour in the sun (35 degrees more or less) filming a long wedding ceremony (1 hour) in 4K and it was fine. I'd imagine that the S5 mk2 will never ever overheat.

2 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I've never managed to get my S5 to overheat. I've left it for an hour in the sun (35 degrees more or less) filming a long wedding ceremony (1 hour) in 4K and it was fine. I'd imagine that the S5 mk2 will never ever overheat.

Something I need but with the 30 minute limit, that was an issue for me so bought/used/using an S1H.

Issue now resolved with the S5ii.

4 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I think the only thing really missing is the GH6's LCD.

What about the higher frame rates? It's great that it has 4k 60fps (with crop), but we don't get much above 120fps. I imagine that's for a video flagship camera. ...not that I NEED any of that, but it's interesting.

6 hours ago, John Matthews said:

What about the higher frame rates? It's great that it has 4k 60fps (with crop), but we don't get much above 120fps. I imagine that's for a video flagship camera. ...not that I NEED any of that, but it's interesting.

Personally I’m not bothered about high frame rates. I’m all about ergonomics, image and reliability. The GH6’s LCD is a much better design giving much more flexibility.

On 1/5/2023 at 8:39 PM, herein2020 said:

That is pretty incredible then. Sigma clearly stated their adapter did not support CAF for EF lenses. Even if Panasonic's AF does quite match Sony or Canon, from all of the reviews I've seen it is good enough for what I would need.

The S5II apparently uses both PDAF and DFD so I would imagine there could be times where DFD still rears its ugly head. Panasonic just couldn't let DFD die a graceful death.

The S5's menus are definitely a real PITA but I think its just because it has so many options, not sure how they could have made it better. When I shot with the S5 all I did was set up my Favorites menu and never went into the other menus. Once you do that the S5 is a real joy to shoot with. Also, I have the R7 now and the menus are way better....but I also have nowhere near the level of customization or tools that the S5 had. I will take cluttered menus that I can filter via a Favorites menu any day over less customizability.

It’s great Panasonic has kept evolving DFD. This is not ‘rearing its ugly head’, rather their algorithm can decide when phase auto detection needs to lead and DFD takes a supporting role to increase the ‘confidence level’ to lock on targets and/or predict motion for the upcoming frames where phase autodetection is not ideal. 

Sony also does not just use phase detection. Phase detection does not ‘understand’ the contents of an image the same way contrast detection does, and vice versa. Multiple technologies are uses in conjunction to provide the best performance possible. 

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)