Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks matter I think, to a degree, in regard to overall ownership and enjoyment, but to me are one of the lowest considerations.

If a camera was say round pink plastic and had the word BARBIE on it, yes, I might deduct points, but the difference between one black box and another is marginal.

There are some very sleek designs out though such as Hassie X2D and I love the film Contax G2.

By comparison, the Panasonics are arguably 'a bit dull' as are many of the Sony's but I actually love the look and form factor of their FX3/30.

3 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

https://www.l-rumors.com/fully-leaked-s5ii-s5iix-and-14-28mm-specs/

Looks like that the X have ProRes and IP streaming functions. Still, strange to have a specific model just for that.

Guessing they want one that's Netflix approved that they can charge extra for? Very strange. I hope it doesn't mean the S5ii is lacking some video features like shutter angle, etc. 

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

the lowest considerations.

Ha!  I ain't gonna lie.  

I bought a GX7 back in the day because it was silver and looked like a rangefinder.  The specs matched most other cams in that range, so what it looked like was the thumb on the scale for me.  Funnily enough, that damn thing had the best out-of-the-box-IQ of any LUMIX camera I owned before or since.

Then I lost it.  [Sad face]

1 hour ago, Davide DB said:

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but what's wrong with 4K@60p being APSC?

Nothing.

Except if you are a hybrid shooter like me with a prime and flipping between stills and video all day long!

That 28mm…well the framing was great for those stills, but then I flipped to video and it’s more like 42mm and I can’t back up to match as I was already backed up to the wall!

”So just shoot FF or APSC!”

Well I could but I like what I get from my Lumix cameras so I work around it by having cameras and lenses dedicated to certain things at certain times.

It is a workaround but one I can live with if I have to and for most of the video side, I actually use a 28-70mm f2.8 to which I have just added a 16-28 giving me options more like 24-42mm and 42-105mm and I tend to use the wider angle as my indoor lens and switch to the longer zoom as my outdoor.

I then only use the extreme ends (as if they were twin primes) so indoor I shoot 24 and 42 and outdoor 42 and 105 which as with any focal lengths you become used to, gives you a ‘look’ that you just know how to work with.

I have the above set up with the S5 dedicated to indoor (and gimbal outdoor) and the S1H outdoor.

This is possibly where I might just trade both cams for one single S5ii and keep my S1R’s…

3 hours ago, Davide DB said:

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but what's wrong with 4K@60p being APSC?

Full of S35 cinema camera out there.

I mean, it's a full frame camera. It'd be nice to be able to do 4K 60p without a crop. I like to have the choice between full frame and APS-C. It's one of the benefits of full frame that has won me over, as I can extend the reach of my lenses. 

Its a simple question of comptetion. FF 4k60 should be a defacto standadt of a video-oriented camera this days. OK 20% crop is passible but not 50%. Thats it. But I guess Pana is reusing an old Sony IMX410 sensor over and over again and that is sad in itself. If a PDAF is their main feature to differentiate from S5 its not all that great. Its important for the future of the system but just for the S5mk2 itself.. not so much. We need more after 2.5 years. 

It basically seems like Sony has been holding out on PDAF for Panasonic cameras for years and they are finally letting them license PDAF on a sensor that is older and that Sony will probably never use again - so why not milk it for some more money since Panasonic's only big gripe against it is the bad AF?

To be fair, that sensor is gorgeous on Panasonic cameras (not so much Sony's), and the S1H still has the best 24fps IQ of any mirrorless camera out there. 

IF Panasonic can dramatically improve the HDMI latency (full-sized, yay!), add internal ProRes, and the AF is as reliable as some of the competition, The S5 II will be very tempting - especially around $2000-2200... It's basically an S1H but much smaller, cheaper, better codec (ProRes), and much better AF (ostensibly). And when you look at it that way, sounds pretty sweet to me.

--

I am curious what they are going to do with the S2H (or S1H II) though, as that camera will have to feature 120fps 4k, no crop, probably 8k, internal ProRes, and so many other video goodies. It almost seems like they should just make a BS2H and soup-it up to the max and go all out on video and then the S5 II can be their hybrid. 

12 hours ago, independent said:

You know there’s a design team for these cameras? For your laptop? Nevermind, you probably have a Dell 

Yep but I don't care. Function over form every day of the week. 

'Filmaking' has become all about the pose factor recently. 

If the way a camera looks deters you buying it tge your priorities are wrong and I'd question your ability too. 

3 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

If the way a camera looks deters you buying it tge your priorities are wrong and I'd question your ability too. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a camera to "look nice." It shouldn't be a deciding factor, but I don't think most people are using that as their deciding factor anyway, at least not professionals/enthusiasts.

I think you can also connect camera design to functionality. I didn't like the way Sony cameras felt in my hands and that was, in part, because of the overall design and Sony's emphasis on making things as compact as possible. They've improved it somewhat by making deeper grips for people like me that have big paws, thankfully, but I still don't enjoy holding and using them.

I don't mind the way Panasonic cameras look but I don't fault anyone that does. 

2 hours ago, currensheldon said:

It basically seems like Sony has been holding out on PDAF for Panasonic cameras for years and they are finally letting them license PDAF on a sensor that is older and that Sony will probably never use again - so why not milk it for some more money since Panasonic's only big gripe against it is the bad AF.

Hmm.. thats not how it usually works. When a company gets a patent to a specific techonolgy like PDAF they start using it everywhere. Cos if what you are telling here is true, than we are bound to see Panasonic only to use most dated Sony sensor tech. That would make them unable to compete in the market. And I hope that is not the case. 

Some things that I've noticed just now.

- Saw no photos of the card slots, but someone remembered that ProRes should mandate the use of CF Express cards; this could be one difference between both models (SD Cards only for the S5II, CF + Sd for the S5IIX.

- The camera have active cooling. You can see vents underneath the front hump of the EVF and on the sides of it.

Fk_gsnJacAEUUjB.jpeg

FlFVBaZXgAMyWK9.jpeg

With pixel count being 24MP it does not seem to me it might be the same sensor as used in the Sony A7iii, Lumix S5/1/1H in its different alterations, this time with PDAF like the A7iii. What the all have in common is rolling shutter of around 21ms in FF and 4K 60p for S35 crop only. I like the form factor though and swivel screen and full HDMI. Maybe I will trade my S1 in for it and finally give the great sensor some good running for its money finally. I only used the S1 on three small paid gigs over the last two years, for a short and as C cam for another short. I have no personal connection with this camera. With my Gx85 it´s the opposite. It is dear to my heart. Maybe the S5ii will be a good substitute for my S1.

Just that 22ms rolling shutter is a bit unpleasant compared to filming with the GH5 with its 15ms. 15ms is good enough for me, 22ms sometimes a bit challenging. So with a better rolling shutter the S5ii would be a no brainer for me, if image quality is the same as S1 in theoriy and practical use and abuse as well.

20 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

What windmills are you aiming at? 

I just said some camera designs are butt ugly. It’s an opinion.  

Enjoy being a martyr about nothing. Nobody  cares.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)