Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If it has PDAF that rivals Sony it'll be very, very interesting to see if people switch. The S5 really was/is the most underrated camera out there right now. The images I get out of mine, and the stabilization with the 24-105 lens, are amazing. I don't regret selling my G85 and GX85 to pick up a second S5 even with a mark II coming out, but I definitely look forward to trying it out and eventually buying one in a couple of years on the used market!

14 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Google Translate (link)

Panasonic announces "LUMIX DC-S5M2 / DC-S5M2X" and "LUMIX S 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO" soon?

Posted: December 27, 2022 Category: Panasonic Comments (10)

On the Internet, information such as the release date of Panasonic "DC-S5M2" and "DC-S5M2X" and the new interchangeable lens "LUMIX S 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO" has been leaked.

Panasonic's new products were introduced in domestic stores.

LUMIX DC-S5M2
     - Body, standard zoom lens kit, double lens kit
     - Scheduled release date: February 16, 2023

LUMIX DC-S5M2X
     - Body, standard zoom lens kit, double lens kit
     - Scheduled release date: late June 2023

LUMIX S 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO
     - Model number: S-R1428
     - Scheduled release date: March 16, 2023

The source is a post on a certain bulletin board, and the poster is likely to be that person. Apparently, as rumored, the “LUMIS S5 Mark II” will be announced soon. In addition to the S5 Mark II, there seems to be another model with an "X" at the end, but I'm wondering what the difference is from the standard model.

Also, it seems that a new wide-angle zoom "14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO" with a macro function will appear. Judging from the f-number, this lens seems to be a popular lens.

The comments have a few interesting speculations too.

The S5M2 is a hybrid model that emphasizes cost performance with about 24 million to 33 million pixels as before. Isn't the X
a low-pixel model that is more specialized for video? As for AF, no mark is image plane phase difference, and X is image plane phase difference + LiDAR.

X is a model equipped with the same communication function as GH5mark2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fth2fgJZVCivr61XP4oW4bf4e-0fku9I/view

DC-S5M2

24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
AR coating
Sensor shift type dust extraction unit
14+ stops in V-log
JPEG / RAW / MOV / MP4
H.264 / H.265
6K 30p 200Mbps LGOP
3.68M dots OLED viewfinder 0.78x 120fps
Free-angle monitor 3.0", 1.84M dots
Image phase detection AF / Contrast AF
DFD Technology
AF -6EV - 18EV
ISO 100-51200
Extended ISO 50-204800
Dual Native
Normal ISO 100/640
V-Log ISO 640/4000
HLG 400/2500
Mechanical shutter 1/8000 - 60 sec.
Electronic shutter 1/8000 - 60 sec.
Continuous shooting speed
Mechanical: max. 9 frames sec.
Electronic SH 30fps H 9fps
USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
HDMI A
3.5mm microphone Headphone
SD Card Dual Slot
5GHz Wi-Fi
Bluetooth 5.0
2200mAh battery
Battery grip DMW-BGS5
Dustproof and drip-proof
Size 134 x 102 x 90 mm
Weight 740g

DC-S5M2X

Full-size sensor with 24.2 effective megapixels
6K30P video (full size)/4K60P video (APS-C size)
Supports Apple ProRes recording
IP streaming function support (Wi-Fi, USB, wired LAN)

LUMIX S 14-28mm F4-5.6 MACRO

Lens construction: 14 elements in 10 groups (1 aspherical ED lens, 1 aspherical lens, 3 ED lenses, 1 UHR lens)
Minimum focusing distance:0.15m
Maximum magnification: 0.5x (at 28mm)/0.25x (at 14mm)
Filter size: 77mm
Size:φ84 x 89.8mm
Weight: 345g
Dustproof, drip-proof, and low-temperature resistant specifications

I don't get the X model? Just pro res being the difference? Can't be surely? Just needs a paid firmware update for those that want it shortly but warranting another designated model...??

Apart from the flip screen 🤪 (would prefer an S1H style), I might be tempted to push the order button when that option becomes available...

I bought into the L Mount system 2 years ago with a single S5 to start off with, replacing an XT3.

That was because what I wanted at the time, was effectively a full frame XT3 with IBIS.

OK, the video side of things was cropped for 4k 50p and it had a flip out screen, but otherwise, boxes ticked.

I am currently running a pair of S1R's, an S1H and an S5.

I just had all 4 serviced and in the case of 3 of them, repaired/refurbished.

They now sit waiting either for next season (late March onward) or for sale/trade.

I have sold off and replaced a lot of my lens lineup and bought a few new ones so have my 'perfect' lineup in that regard.

Ideally, I would like to move to a 3 body based system.

I love the S1R's for their stills capability and the 5k footage is great...except no 50p unless I drop to 4k and 8 bit. Can I go back from 47mp to 24mp is the question in my head (to myself)...??

I love the S1H in every regard except I would ideally prefer it to be about 10% smaller and lighter and have better AF. S5mkii is that camera?

I love the S5 size and weight, but not the flip out screen which for me is really it's only major weakness.

So the rhetorical questions have to myself are:

1. Is the S5 mkii going to be the camera I am looking for and will be happy with for the next 3 seasons/years? Other than the flip out screen, possibly...

2. Is there going to be a successor to the S1/R/H and if so, might that suit me better and if I went with an all S5 mkii line up, would I always being wishing I had waited?

3. If I wait/how soon should I flip my current 4 bodies because I'm probably never going to get a better price than today?

Hmmm...

I think if the S5ii just had the S1H style screen, I'd flip and have zero regrets and really, that is the single factor that is just holding me back right now.

The official reveal in a week or so might confirm my mind one way or another...

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)