Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Nah… even Panasonic would not fly in a load of YouTubers just for the launch of a super-wide angle lens.

Why would they?

That is not to say there isn’t a SWA lens, but it’s not the main event or it would be the biggest WTF moment in camera history.

Maybe that's why there is no announcement yet! They are scrambling about to find something AF related to go with the super-wide lens!😂

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Nah… even Panasonic would not fly in a load of YouTubers just for the launch of a super-wide angle lens.

Why would they?

That is not to say there isn’t a SWA lens, but it’s not the main event or it would be the biggest WTF moment in camera history.

I can't imagine they'd do that but nothing would surprise me these days. 

5 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I have no idea if this guy knows anything but he seems pretty convinced that there will be a new camera but with PDAF.

Just a guy, reading the same rumour sites as everyone else, but then decides to make a video about it with catchy thumbnail (expressive face, bold colours) and suppressing a healthy dose of scepsis, hoping to gain some traffic. He's not the only one using that technique.

1 hour ago, Michael S said:

Just a guy, reading the same rumour sites as everyone else, but then decides to make a video about it with catchy thumbnail (expressive face, bold colours) and suppressing a healthy dose of scepsis, hoping to gain some traffic. He's not the only one using that technique.

Are they all Canadian? Their unhealthy looking faces and obsession with cameras seems to be taking over our corner of the internet! Must be something in the water/ice.

5 hours ago, Michael S said:

Yes, pretty much. Has zero inside info and is generally just re-reporting in a rather long-winded manner, perpetually repeating the same rumor(s) over and over and over again.

He’s not doing any harm, but as above, is just regurgitating rumor, not inside info.

He claims that his previous videos "shook a tree" and netted him some "reliable sources", but his account is literally just him creating videos "reporting" what the rumor sites report, so I am skeptical that he has any sources of his own.

That trip IS very peculiar though. I still feel it's unlikely they flew so many people out to Japan for just a lens reveal for M43, especially because people like Chris Hau were there, and they're S5 shooters not M43 ones. Perhaps it was a combination of a lens release and getting feedback from YouTubers on a future release? Or maybe we're all just dumb and getting our hopes up? It could be anything, haha!

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

He’s not doing any harm, but as above, is just regurgitating rumor, not inside info.

True. He does at least present the info in a nice format, sometimes I enjoy watching his channel versus reading the rumor sites. That being said, I get why it’s a little annoying that it’s not original content. 

6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

especially because people like Chris Hau were there, and they're S5 shooters

And Sam Holland who also is plus the Make Art Now guy whose name I forget and he’s no YouTube wannabe flake, plus a few others so as has been mentioned, either it’s multiple releases of several things that are coming at some point ‘soon’ or something bigger.

It can’t just be some wide-angle M4/3 lens because honestly who would give a sh!t?! Not enough to warrant this gathering for sure!

Panasonic announced the S1H in 2019 followed by the S5 in 2020. Then for the S5 it made updates that transformed the camera. But they are now old cameras considering that Canon and Nikon have since migrated to mirrorless cameras. Canon that has been sleeping for years has been the most aggressive one with cinema cameras like the R5C and C70 that also have internal RAW.

IMHO it's to be expected that Panasonic in 2023 will make a new iteration for their models and who knows there might be the RAW innovation for them as well and certainly PDAF which for the market, right or wrong, is their achilles heel.

We shall see...

Well looks like DP Review and Ted Forbes also in Japan and in the end of year predictions for next year, the only major camera body brand not discussed… Panasonic.

NDA in place so you can hardly speculate when you already know what’s coming can you?!

Another sign IMO there is at least one FF camera coming soon.

I could be reading that wrong, but don’t think so.

They did make mention of an expectation of more cinema styled lenses. I wonder if that's an indication of what's to come, because if I was to make a prediction about Panasonic in 2023, I definitely wouldn't be expecting "cinematic styled lenses" unless I knew that they were going to address their autofocus issues.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:20 PM, MrSMW said:

Well looks like DP Review and Ted Forbes also in Japan and in the end of year predictions for next year, the only major camera body brand not discussed… Panasonic.

NDA in place so you can hardly speculate when you already know what’s coming can you?!

Another sign IMO there is at least one FF camera coming soon.

I could be reading that wrong, but don’t think so.

I think you're spot on. There's no way they'd not mention Panasonic without some sort of NDA prohibiting them from doing so. 

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)