Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)

newfoundmass

2 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

So they are gonna announce successor to LX15?

At last, great 1 inch sensors finally getting love they never deserved.

I doubt it as they already announced a while back that they were leaving this market segment as it was dead.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Hoping for a hotshoe enabled LiDAR system for multiple current cameras. I’d probably get it if it’s amazing. Otherwise, I’ll just stick with serviceable DFD AF.

What intrigues me is this and I’m beginning to think it is maybe the more likely option?

13 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I do hope its one without external motors, not looking forward powering external focus motors as well.

Wouldn’t it be nice to use cinema glass with flawless AF? Or even anamorphic? No one is offering that.

There is something to be said for LiDAR. It will most likely surpass what is possible with PDAF, especially with car manufacturers investing so much.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to use cinema glass with flawless AF? Or even anamorphic? No one is offering that.

There is something to be said for LiDAR. It will most likely surpass what is possible with PDAF, especially with car manufacturers investing so much.

DJI does offer that with tracking and face detection on their RS3 gimbal and the 3rd generation LiDAR sensor.

They said they would make a handle so you could use it without the gimbal.

2 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

DJI does offer that with tracking and face detection on their RS3 gimbal and the 3rd generation LiDAR sensor.

Well as both ‘Make Art Now’ and Sam Holland are both at least proponents of this kit and have championed it on their channels, it kind of makes sense that there is a high probability of some development of this for Panasonic specific use.

The question is, in or on the camera…??

If it’s on, fantastic. 

If it’s in, even more fantastic.

But based on who is there, I’d say it’s 99% certain there is some kind of link up/joint venture between Panasonic and DJI.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well as both ‘Make Art Now’ and Sam Holland are both at least proponents of this kit and have championed it on their channels, it kind of makes sense that there is a high probability of some development of this for Panasonic specific use.

The question is, in or on the camera…??

If it’s on, fantastic. 

If it’s in, even more fantastic.

But based on who is there, I’d say it’s 99% certain there is some kind of link up/joint venture between Panasonic and DJI.

I am starting to think it might be a variation of their DJI LiDAR Range Finder system for RS3 but will work via the hotshoe of Panasonic cameras enabling a system interface to focus electronically using the LiDAR attachment. 

We wont know until next week, likely Wednesday or Tuesday.

I think a lot of us are getting super excited though, I been contemplating going back to APS-C for autofocus and lighter lenses but having LiDAR AF system that plugs on the S5 would be dream come true for run and gun.

Given the size of this gathering, a photo of the GH6 (especially with the hotshoe cover off), and, after doing some research, the complexity of setting up a LiDAR system, I'm going to conclude that Panasonic will be showing off a LiDAR system (made by DJI) with compatibility for at least the GH6 and native Panasonic lenses, using their internal focusing motors. It will be a simple connection via the hotshoe or USB C jack (most likely) where the Venus processor communicates with the DJI LiDAR System to achieve near-perfect tracking of objects and people. The process to connect the camera and LiDAR system will be seamless and simple (unlike the current crazy process IMO). I cannot see what else would get this much attention. To be determined.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Given the size of this gathering, a photo of the GH6 (especially with the hotshoe cover off), and, after doing some research, the complexity of setting up a LiDAR system, I'm going to conclude that Panasonic will be showing off a LiDAR system (made by DJI) with compatibility for at least the GH6 and native Panasonic lenses, using their internal focusing motors. It will be a simple connection via the hotshoe or USB C jack (most likely) where the Venus processor communicates with the DJI LiDAR System to achieve near-perfect tracking of objects and people. The process to connect the camera and LiDAR system will be seamless and simple (unlike the current crazy process IMO). I cannot see what else would get this much attention. To be determined.

So you think that it would only work on the next generation S series cameras? I hope not. If it works on my S1 and S5 I'll be buying one as soon as it's available.

I hope it's not a 4/3rds only thing...

If it is however, no biggie because if it works, surely it would then be developed for the FF range?

Whether that be current models or future one's.

The AF ability for cinema lenses with the RS3 is certainly interesting...

I have had that gimbal on order for about a month now and looking forward to testing exactly this.

32 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

So you think that it would only work on the next generation S series cameras? I hope not. If it works on my S1 and S5 I'll be buying one as soon as it's available.

Well, this is Panasonic, not that other company.

My guess it WOULD work, but the S5, S1, G9, GH5 are all multiple years old (even if they're still currently selling them); so this could be sketchy by my logic. Also, the processors were good in their day, but I'm not sure if that matters so much. This device could also be to sell more Panasonic glass which could also be very good for them in general. Recent promotions have shown excellent glass to be packaged with new bodies. A LiDAR system would, without any doubt, increase the need for native lenses IMO, just like on any other system. Let's hope we know more soon.

I'm much more cautious than John, ha ha, especially regarding the specifics, but I do suspect something significant. I've seen folks post that they've returned from Japan, so I imagine we'll see what's up once the embargo is lifted. I do, however, think if it was something ready for release they'd have done it while everyone was there still, so I am thinking whatever it is probably won't be ready for a while and this is just Panasonic trying to keep people more informed on what they're working on, which is really all most of us Panasonic users have been asking. 

I do think an external LIDAR system is better than nothing, but I also am unsure how I feel about having to spend more money to get better auto focus technology. It's probably something I'd pass on as I've made their AF work for most of my uses, but I would kinda also ask myself "what are we doing here?" I mean, external hardware to get better AF? Really? 

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm much more cautious than John, ha ha, especially regarding the specifics, but I do suspect something significant. I've seen folks post that they've returned from Japan, so I imagine we'll see what's up once the embargo is lifted. I do, however, think if it was something ready for release they'd have done it while everyone was there still, so I am thinking whatever it is probably won't be ready for a while and this is just Panasonic trying to keep people more informed on what they're working on, which is really all most of us Panasonic users have been asking. 

I do think an external LIDAR system is better than nothing, but I also am unsure how I feel about having to spend more money to get better auto focus technology. It's probably something I'd pass on as I've made their AF work for most of my uses, but I would kinda also ask myself "what are we doing here?" I mean, external hardware to get better AF? Really? 

I'd agree with everything you just said too. LiDAR had better offer something that PDAF can't or show everyone exactly why LiDAR is superior. I do know my iPhone 12 can detect my identity in pitch black lighting and no PDAF could ever do that. They might find something even if it's more for pros. We might also be forgetting all the other types of sensors that could interact with a processor to get better images. I'm not sure how or what, but I could imagine there's something.

13 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

My understanding is that PDAF is more expensive to implement than DFD and could explain some of the price difference between Panasonic and almost every other brand. In that context I would have no problem paying extra for a reliable AF unit.

As a $500 accessory, pros will buy it. As a $200 accessory, prosumers will buy it. As a $99 accessory, everyone would get it along with a new compatible Panasonic lens if it works well. Speculation is fun sometimes, but I might be going off the deep end here. Maybe, this device has nothing to real-world AF and is prohibitively expensive. Who knows at this point? Again, I'm decently happy with the limitations of DFD, but I also believe that PDAF should not be the endgame as it just adds much more complexity to the sensor.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Panasonic S5 II (What does Panasonic have up their sleeve?)