Metabones firmware update for Canon EF adapter improves compatibility with Sony A7S

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
A7S with Metabones Smart EF adapter

Metabones have announced a firmware update for their Smart EF Mark IV adapter (E-Mount). This is a must-have update for A7S users who have experienced buggy behaviour with their camera using Canon lenses.

The firmware update is available from Metabones here along with full instructions.

If you have the earlier Mark III version of the adapter the firmware update must be done back at base. To do this users should contact Metabones to arrange the return.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great news, thanks!

I own the MK IV adapter and the 7S.

It works great with all my Canon photographic lenses, but it drives me crazy with all my Canon CN-E lenses.

If I use them, the camera stops working. 

So I need to remove the battery to unlock the camera and, everytime, when I restart the camera, the settings are changed.

I hope that this new firmware update will fix the problem.

I did the update and it went very smoothly. I had to do it at work since I dont have a PC in this mac family :-D 

I didn't see any improvements as far as auto focus goes so I think it's a bug fix update and I'm good with that!

I'm taking the A7s with my EOS lenses to Yosemite for a week and looking forward to shooting at night with the stars and hiking during the day. Waterfalls make some nice footy! Should be a fun time with the A7s and the GH4 too!

• Administrators

No ways!

When I use CN-E lenses to take pictures, the camera stops working, also with the new firmware.

I definitely need to use a different adapter with Canon cinema primes.

Is that with the latest firmware or the old one?

PS - Mac version isn't live yet but will update the post when it is

The camera stops working with the old and the latest firmware, but only with Canon cine primes.

According to the Al Jazeera reporter Miguel Toran the Viltrox Mark II is better than the Metabones Mark IV. And it's much cheaper.
Has anyone tried it? Can anyone confirm that?

Define "better" Cheaper yes. All of these adapters do the same thing. I don't believe autofocus speed or accuracy will be different between them. This update hopefully will fix the main issue of crashing. 

As for price. That makes a big difference. Some like the Commlite are only $100 and people seem to like them. 

I wish someone by now would make a EF to micro four thirds adapter. Seems odd we have several E Mount versions and no really simple MFT version yet.  

Yet another post about the A7s.

Thanks Clayton, I have significant memory problems and I had completely forgotten what the thread was about. It's people like you who make life for the disabled that much easier, you clearly have no interest in the camera, yet you suffered through the entire post and then the entire thread merely to help me out! Most people with no interest in the camera just ignored the post, yet you, Champion among men, Hero among lessers, God among sheep, Giant among hobbits, Poet among the illiterate, you sir are just amazing, wonderful and epic. I hope my gratitude makes up for the time and effort you otherwise needlessly and selflessly put in. 

Thanks Clayton, I have significant memory problems and I had completely forgotten what the thread was about. It's people like you who make life for the disabled that much easier, you clearly have no interest in the camera, yet you suffered through the entire post and then the entire thread merely to help me out! Most people with no interest in the camera just ignored the post, yet you, Champion among men, Hero among lessers, God among sheep, Giant among hobbits, Poet among the illiterate, you sir are just amazing, wonderful and epic. I hope my gratitude makes up for the time and effort you otherwise needlessly and selflessly put in. 

:D   Speaking more regarding the front page of the EOS HD site - I pretty much have the thread idea down, but thanks for the kind reminder  ;)

The metabones mkIV I've bought around 2 weeks ago from CVP apparently already had the update installed. However I'm  experiencing a number of issues, mainly with the 17-55 (image remains black when camera turned on, unmounting & remounting lens required). Anyone else experiencing such issues?