Sony A7s and the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II cards

lafilm

Does anyone know if the the brand new Memory Card SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II will work with the Sony A7s in 1080p HD?…or..will this particular 64GB extreme UHS-ll card only work if using the Sony A7s for 4K  - to an external recorder?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't get the question. Why wouldn't it work? It will record XAVC-S 1080p just fine. And 4K external recording is totally separate from the internal media (memory card), the 4K will be recorded to SSD's in the external recorder (Atomos Shogun).

I was told by B & H that the SDXC UHS-II memory cards (which are the newest and most expensive) will NOT work on the A7s.

​If this is BS, from someone with personal experience I would love to know that. 

I know they will work for the Atomos Shogun for 4K capture. I was just double checking to see if I could in fact, use the SDXC UHS-II cards for internal 1080p HD on the Sony A7s ?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

According to the manual it should work fine. The internal XAVC-S 1080p requires a 64GB (or higher) SDXC Card with UHS-1 or higher. It will not work with SDHC cards however or 32GB cards. 

I know they will work for the Atomos Shogun for 4K capture.

You mean with some sort of SD to SSD adapter? The Atomos Shogun records to SSD (Solid-state drives) or Hard Disk drives, not to SD cards.

Does anyone know if the the brand new Memory Card SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-II will work with the Sony A7s in 1080p HD?…or..will this particular 64GB extreme UHS-ll card only work if using the Sony A7s for 4K  - to an external recorder?

Thanks

In the Atomos Shogun product description there is only mentioned the ability to use SATA to CFast adapter. I would find it strange if these cards don't work with the A7s, unless there is some defect or bug going on. 

I was told by B & H that the SDXC UHS-II memory cards (which are the newest and most expensive) will NOT work on the A7s.

​If this is BS, from someone with personal experience I would love to know that. 

I know they will work for the Atomos Shogun for 4K capture. I was just double checking to see if I could in fact, use the SDXC UHS-II cards for internal 1080p HD on the Sony A7s ?

I don't understand. Are you saying that you know that the Atomos Shogun works with the Sandisk SD cards? How does this add up? There are no sd card slots on the Shogun.

Thanks Ebrahim for checking the manual. I appreciate that. Yes, you're correct SSD. Will be interesting to see what this cam can do at that point.

Oh, there's the misunderstanding :) one s to much, hehe

Now we just need to know if the new Sandisk sd cards are reliable for the A7s. What did B&H tell you exactly?

I know this thread is a bit dated, but is there a known lack of compatibility between the A7s and SDXC cards that are larger in size than 64GB?

For example, I've been thinking about these two >64GB cards:

SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB SDXC UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Speed Up To 80MB/s
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

PNY 256GB Elite Performance SDXC 90MB/s Flash Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2ZMWBP05360R6

Thanks for your feedback.

blafarm,

Just don't know. I'm honestly not sure what to believe now.

I'll have to wait until I hear from someone who actually Owns the A7s, instead of listening to people that are reading info off of blogs. Which we all know everyone has a different opinion. 

Yes. If you look at the back of a UHS-II card, you'll notice two rows of pins. Any other camera will just use the first row and work at slower (could still be pretty fast) speeds, whereas a camera like the X-T1 will use the second row and use the UHS-II specs.