• Similar Content

• By Homme_en_Beige
      Hello,
      I am new to this forum (first post) and beginner filmaker and I will need advice ...
      Last June I started shooting for my documentary project on the local natural heritage, for now with my own money, so my gear is rather light...
      I'm shooting with a Canon Eos 70D DSLR, outdoor, and i'm shooting the natural spaces of a valley (along a river).
      At the start I wanted to film in RAW with Magic Lantern, but with my 70D i'm stuck in 720p (for a continuous recording), so finally i've shot in a compressed way, Mpeg-4 All-I 8bit 4:2:0 @1080p 29.97fps with a picture style (EOSHD C-LOG (0,-4,-4,2)) + Vari ND Filter, hoping to get myself out of it even in post-prod ...
      But here the quality of the images, in a context of shooting outdoors in shaded places very contrasted (...), do not satisfy me !
      So I would like to have advice to achieve a higher quality outdoor shots (natural light)?
      To illustrate my purpose you can see these few shots that I graded in Resolve + corrections in After Effects: https://vimeo.com/alexandrewebercom/riviereardeche
      The third shot is particularly ugly ...

- Have I "pushed" the mpeg-4 too far by color grading it or is it simply the limitations of this compression?

- How do I do with hyper contrast scenes (it was about 14h when shooting)?

- Am I condemned to film in RAW whatever the chosen camera (to be able to uncork the blacks or to recover in the whites in post-prod)?

- Is it better that I under-expose or over-expose this type of scene?

- Can you suggest gear/ configuration more suitable for my use: Camera, Raw / Prores, Log, external recording ... ?

Thanks a lot !
    • By Matt Kieley
      I gave Nikon a shot, and got good results, but I just still aesthetically prefer Panasonic, so I'm hoping to find someone here who might want to trade their G6 for a D5200. It will include 1 Nikon battery, 1 Vivitar battery, 1 Nikon charger, 1 neck strap, and the Nikon 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit lens. I also have two Nikon Nikkor Ai primes: 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4. I'd also like to get the Panasonic 14mm 2.5 lens. If someone wants to buy instead of trade, well that's fine by me too.

• By Naive Studio
      First online social media advert for J'adore Models Manchester, shot on the Sony A7SII in SLog3. Used the excellent Zeiss loxia primes, 50mm f2 and 35mm f2.
      Recorded full-frame 4K at 24fps, shutter lower than I would prefer due to room lighting restrictions but decided to roll with it instead of using LEDs to keep a cinematic look, pools of light and dark shadows etc. Looking to shoot more of these throughout the year and would love to know what peoples thoughts were...
      We are a boutique agency in Manchester. Our guys and girls have the freshest and coolest faces on the scene. We believe totally in presenting the next wave of unique, diverse and beautiful models to the industry and we’re about exceeding clients’ expectations, every time.
      jadoremodels.co.uk
      Filmed on the Sony A7SII
      Rig: Movcam A7SII cage
      Lenses: Zeiss Loxia 50mm f2 / Loxia 35mm f2
      4K / 1920 x 1080 HD / 2.35 / 24fps
      Music: ASTR - Operate
      (Et Aliae remix)
    • By Naive Studio
      Latest work shot on the Sony A7SII with Zeiss Loxia prime lenses. Online commercial for a british watch brand. The film will be used for website/blog use and also taking 15 second social media cuts for further advertising. Also used the excellent 3DR Solo drone for the opening wide and SLog3 profile for further flex in the grade. Hope you enjoy!
      We are inspired by traditional British styling & tailoring and modern ink culture to create a unique blend of convention and edge. This makes our collection truly distinctive. Our products are all beautifully presented and strikingly original.Our obsessive attention to detail and passion for what we do has created…Ma-Ga London.
      'It’s a real accomplishment to be yourself in a world that keeps trying to make you something else’
      Filmed on the Sony A7SII
      Rig: Movcam A7SII cage
      Lenses: Zeiss Loxia 50mm f2 / Loxia 35mm f2
      4K / 1920 x 1080 HD / 2.35 / 24fps
      Music: SLK - Ride (Prod - Embody)
    • By Sekhar
      Guys, I'm looking for some really good training material for advanced color grading that focuses on the creative aspects rather than technical stuff (how to use Resolve, etc.) and on color grading rather than color correction. I looked around and found some promising videos on lynda.com, but wanted to check here before signing up. Suggestions?