Suggestion: "screening room" as a sticky thread instead of a subforum?

utsira

Posts in the subforums just don't seem to get anywhere near the number of eyeballs that topics in the main forum do. It's a shame, there's some great stuff in the screening room sub-forum. I think the issue is it's just too diffuse, with each video in its own thread (and sometimes, if people haven't embedded it properly, it's another click away), plus some things are in the GH4 or ML specific threads. I can see the point of gear-specific threads, but I don't just want to see stuff shot on the same cameras that I have, and I don't think its healthy to have a gear conformity attitude (remember Kendy Ty!)

I think screening room would work really well as a long single thread. It would be a one-stop site where you could see what people on the forum are up to and get some inspiration (or, if you're watching one of my contributions, look at an urban cityscape you've seen in countless other videos cut to a hip soundtrack with some speed ramping and a LUT or two. Yeah I know my limits)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd willingly browse a thread of videos the moderators deemed worthwhile...if that's something they'd have time to do.

Is that level of modding necessary? ie last month 15 videos were posted in the screening room forum, so it's not a huge amount. If the description and cover frame don't grab you you can just scroll past them.

Seeing curated stuff from someone else's POV is appreciated by me. I think that would work in a sticky thread.

Agree, but for me it depends on some else's aesthetics feelings... I just dont want to see tons of time lapse and slo-mo vids.

But the idea is great, as I'm curious what everyone here has been doing with its camera :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The screening room can be expanded into a creative stage where unkown filmmakers can show off their work and talent. It just needs some focus on the screening room and some work.

What if members get to post one project each month in the screening room, and it the end of each month the staff or other members pick one and push it to the front page?

This will encourage members to actually go out and film with the thought of having their work displayed on such a huge blog and probably picked up by most of the other filmmaking blogs.

It will also give talented filmmakers exposure they deserve.

It will also of course increase the number of new members on the forum and I imagine if done well, it will focus more attention on EOSHD in general.

It just needs some work from staff members to organize the entries, provide some kind of filteration for appropriate content.

The screening room can be expanded into a creative stage where unkown filmmakers can show off their work and talent. It just needs some focus on the screening room and some work.

What if members get to post one project each month in the screening room, and it the end of each month the staff or other members pick one and push it to the front page?

This will encourage members to actually go out and film with the thought of having their work displayed on such a huge blog and probably picked up by most of the other filmmaking blogs.

It will also of course increase the number of new members on the forum and I imagine if done well, it will focus more attention on EOSHD in general.

It just needs some work from staff members to organize the entries, provide some kind of filteration for appropriate content.

Good idea, this could work!

Some interesting suggestions here, but I think a regular sticky thread would be a good place to start, before attempting the more complex (but very interesting) suggestions for curation, staff picks, and contests.

We could set guidelines and follow a self-modding route. Here I think the phrase "screening room" is useful, as to me at least it suggests that it is intended for people to post a "work" (or a work-in-progress), whether that be a trailer, travelogue, music video, ad, short, essay, or full-blown narrative piece. Something more than just test shots.

Ebrahim's idea of asking people to restrict themselves to one video a month is also an interesting one, but I'm not sure its necessary. I'm not on the modding team for this forum so I don't know how much work goes on behind the scenes deleting irrelevant posts etc. It seems from some of the above comments that people are anxious that there would be a deluge of ropey content, but I don't think that will happen. 

Ebrahim, this is an absolutely superb idea. There is a lot of desire for a creative platform among EOSHD members (at one point I even tried to fill the hole myself with a separate forum. It started quite well but it didn't take off because of low numbers and no way to attract new ones). I think EOSHD would be a great place for it. Even though it's an outright gear blog, there is a definite undercurrent of creativity desperate to surface within the community. The screening room isn't functioning in that way. The creativity sub-forum didn't take off. 

I think Yojimbo has a good idea - make it a sticky like lenses etc, and perhaps someone (like Andy in that sub forum) could take the chunk of responsibility for it (because I think Andrew has his hands full with the gear blog). Would you be willing to consider doing this? (btw, I never know which Ebrahim I'm talking to!!!).

But the idea of actually moderating and structuring the films through selection (or just member interest) could, I think, give that outlet to creative discussion that I'm sure would be a really great expansion to EOSHD. 

LISTEN ANDREW!!!